Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Happy New Year from UK

Happy New Year from UK

Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happy New Year from UK

Originally Posted by notonuksoil
Also had a few issues with those damned average speed zones and the insane amount of speed cameras. If we survive this trip without a speeding ticket it will be a Christmas miracle!
I drove 1,800 miles in 18 days back in Oct, mostly on the motorways, in a rental. I was sure I'd get hit at some point ... but still nothing in the mail ... I suspect it could be 6 months before I can breath a sigh of relief ...

PS Happy New Year, CADreaming! Hopefully see you in the 'hood in 2014!
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just got back from Christmas week in Birmingham and this brings up an issue for me. I'm sure I probably got caught on the M6 variable speed cameras. As I used my UK license for the rental car and the license has my old UK address, how would I ever find out?

When I tried to change my address a while back, they don't allow an out of country address.

Btw. It was good seeing family & friends but 5C at Heathrow to 18C at LAX(at 6pm) reminded me why I moved.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul32x
"By the way were the roads here always so narrow..."

That's one of the things I notice when I go back, and parking spaces, they don't give you room to open the door! Toby Carvery, I am most envious. Happy New Year.
I couldn't believe the size of the spaces in Heathrow terminal 5 parking, especially when people have trolleys suitcases and bags.

I think i'd be sick driving home after a Toby carvery. All those narrow roads with double parked cars, having to weave in and out, stopping starting to let other cars past. Swearing and sticking your fingers up at people who don't want to let you through etc.

Give me the Arizona freeways and 3 lanes in each direction Phoenix grid street layout any day.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I drove 1,800 miles in 18 days back in Oct, mostly on the motorways, in a rental. I was sure I'd get hit at some point ... but still nothing in the mail ... I suspect it could be 6 months before I can breath a sigh of relief ...

PS Happy New Year, CADreaming! Hopefully see you in the 'hood in 2014!
Happy New year steer!!!!! Will be in touch on my return mid Jan!!!!
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:04 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
too funny! Would have taken me ages to realize it
It's not the pump yourself that gets me...we do that here too. It's the pay after pump,instead of swiping the card before that doesn't compute.... More than once I've got back in and started the engine before thinking "oops...better go pay before I drive off"
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:13 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Ah saltburn...I hate driving up the bank...!!!
Happy days!!!
I swear it's got steeper since last time we were there

It was blowy and raining, but the kids had got "message in a bottle" kits for Christmas, so we ran along the pier, tossed them off the end, and ran back to the car, eldest complaining all the way "how does this fit with Leave No Trace"? He probably had a point......

Couple of days later there was an article on the beeb about some lady who had been contacted by someone who had found a bottle she had tossed in the sea 23 years earlier. Youngest worked out that on that basis out she could be 31 with kids before hers was found....I assured her that that wouldn't be the case. Especially if she insists on asking every hour on the hour if I think her bottle has been found yet.....
Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul32x
"By the way were the roads here always so narrow..."

That's one of the things I notice when I go back, and parking spaces, they don't give you room to open the door!...
Which is exactly why we are so good and precise when parking our cars in very confined spaces....well, we males are anyway.......many females are something else altogether but great fun to watch all their many manoeuverings so they are excused their apparent lack of spatial awareness.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:42 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Which is exactly why we are so good and precise when parking our cars in very confined spaces....well, we males are anyway.......many females are something else altogether but great fun to watch all their many manoeuverings so they are excused their apparent lack of spatial awareness.
How original.

PS: I used to drive - and park - a 20ft truck around the tiny streets of colonial Mexican towns.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
How original.

PS: I used to drive - and park - a 20ft truck around the tiny streets of colonial Mexican towns.
What a strange hobby
Old Jan 5th 2014, 3:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casual Observer
What a strange hobby
Especially when you consider that I had to keep dodging the corrupt Mexican police, who continuously demand "tips".
Old Jan 5th 2014, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I swear it's got steeper since last time we were there

It was blowy and raining, but the kids had got "message in a bottle" kits for Christmas, so we ran along the pier, tossed them off the end, and ran back to the car, eldest complaining all the way "how does this fit with Leave No Trace"? He probably had a point......

Couple of days later there was an article on the beeb about some lady who had been contacted by someone who had found a bottle she had tossed in the sea 23 years earlier. Youngest worked out that on that basis out she could be 31 with kids before hers was found....I assured her that that wouldn't be the case. Especially if she insists on asking every hour on the hour if I think her bottle has been found yet.....