Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Happy Birthday Prince Philip (92 on June 10 - Ghastly!)

Happy Birthday Prince Philip (92 on June 10 - Ghastly!)

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Happy Birthday Prince Philip (92 on June 10 - Ghastly!)

George W. Bush has said some stupid shit, but Prince Philip* may have him beat. He is a constant source of amusement; here are some of his pearls of wisdom:

“Brazilians live there”
-On key problems facing Brazil.

"If you stay here much longer, you’ll all be slitty-eyed."
-To British students staying in China, during a royal visit, 1986.

“If you see a man opening a car door for a woman, it means one of two things: it’s either a new woman or a new car!”

“You look like you’re ready for bed!”
-To the President of Nigeria, dressed in traditional robes.

“Do you still throw spears at each other?”
-To an Australian Aborigine during a Royal visit in March, 2002.

“The problem with London is the tourists. They cause the congestion. If we could just stop tourism, we could stop the congestion.”
-When asked about traffic jams in London.

“Oh, it’s you that owns that ghastly car – we often see it when driving to Windsor Castle.”
-To Elton John after hearing he had sold his Gold Aston Martin.

“You managed not to get eaten, then?”
-To a student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea.

“If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?”
-Amid calls to ban firearms after the Dunblane shooting, 1996.

“How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?”
-To a driving instructor in Oban, Scotland.

“You can’t have been here that long – you haven’t got a pot belly.”
-To a Briton in Budapest, Hungary.

"It looks as if it was put in by an Indian."
-Referring to an old-fashioned fuse box in a factory in Edinburgh.

"You are a woman, aren't you?"
-To a native woman who presented him with a small gift in Kenya, 1984.

"If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but it is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it."
-At a World Wildlife Fund meeting, 1986.

"Deaf? I'm not surprised with that bloody racket!"
-To a class of deaf children sat next to a brass band.

"Do you have a licence for that?"
-To a man in a motorised wheelchair.

One of my favorites: "In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to come back as a deadly virus, in order to contribute something to solve overpopulation." an absolute legend...

What's your favorite Prince Philip moment?

*For those not in the know, Prince Philip is the husband of HRH Queen Elizabeth II, making him the Duke of Edinburgh.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happy Birthday Prince Philip (92 on June 10 - Ghastly!)

A breath of fresh air in an overly PC world.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Certainly, "Phil the Greek" can usually be relied upon to call a spade a bloody shovel ...
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

“People think there’s a rigid class system here, but dukes have even been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.”

To a woman solicitor: “I thought it was against the law for a woman to solicit.”
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 11:11 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

yep.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 12:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
yep.
I've always liked the cantankerous old madman. I met him once, 1964 maybe, I was so in awe I forgot to salute (we were both in uniform.. Needless to say he was the higher in rank). He didn't seem to mind and was perfectly polite and friendly. A bit out of character really!
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

At a project to protect turtle doves in Anguilla in 1965, he said: “Cats kill far more birds than men. Why don’t you have a slogan: ‘Kill a cat and save a bird?’”

To black politician Lord Taylor of Warwick, 1999: “And what exotic part of the world do you come from?”

Awesome
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he's trying to be funny. He's just utterly oblivious to other people - so sometimes what he says comes out as funny, sometimes it's just rude, insensitive, or even offensive. He doesn't mean to be rude I don't think - he just doesn't care or even notice.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

There is some of it that is obviously self deprecatory, but yes one of the few major public figures who sees no need to bow to the PC crap.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

treasuredr is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for starting this thread. I was feeling a bit low this monday morning but this has made me laugh and has cheered me up!!

Happy Birthday Prince Phillip!
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:54 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There is some of it that is obviously self deprecatory, but yes one of the few major public figures who sees no need to bow to the PC crap.
I doubt he even knows what PC means.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

He's just plain rude.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I doubt he even knows what PC means.
Once he would have been in the majority, happy days.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

He's pretty much the mad opinionated uncle that every family has, only while the rest of us only get to see them at christmas and family weddings, HRH is under constant public scrutiny. I've met him, he was pretty much as you'd expect, but shorter than you think. He looks tall next to the Queen, but she's tiny.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom
He looks tall next to the Queen, but she's tiny.
The podium that will live in infamy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.