Halloween

Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

CarolPat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Halloween

My mother and I have been hiding out from costumed marauders for the past couple of hours. When did they start trick-or-treating in the UK? I thought that was a purely American thing!
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:08 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Halloween

My kids were out last night with a friend here in Brisbane, like everything American it spreads like a disease 10 years ago here it was unheard of.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:20 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It actually originated from the UK - Scotland and Ireland! http://www.halloweenhistory.org/
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:48 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived in Scotland all my life until 4 years ago, as a child I used to go 'Guising'. We would make up a Guy (scarecrow type fella) and carry him or wheel him around through the streets in a barrow or cart asking 'Penny for the Guy'. The money was collected to buy fireworks on November 5th. We used to carry lanterns made from turnips - imagine how hard that was to carve

Never heard the words trick or treat until the last 10-15 years and this was copied from USA.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a child, growing up in N Ireland, we did "trick or treating" but we didn't get candy - we got fruit (usually apples) and nuts. I don't remember Halloween being celebrated in England at all - it was usually only Guy Fawkes Night that was celebrated. I do believe the UK has become very "Americanized" in many ways.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:45 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I remember both Halloween and Penny for the Guy, I'm (cough) 40 years old.

I also remember our front door being egged and floured
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:25 am
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I remember both Halloween and Penny for the Guy, I'm (cough) 40 years old.

I also remember our front door being egged and floured
Was this in the UK? or where you live now.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:46 pm

Erm, in the UK.

Got pretty annoyed last night, general rule of thumb, if you have a pumpkin (or other decoration) and porch lights on, you are giving out candy. If your house is bathed in darkness then sod off, we ain't got nothin'.

How many parents sent their little kids up our path to knock on our door? The whole reason we were doing nothing was because it drives the dog mad, one bunch rang and rang the doorbell we'd just sat down to eat, until we answered, poor dog was going mad.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

My mum (in the UK) has had her house egged. She spoke to the Tesco Metro across the road who agreed to tell all their staff not to sell eggs to children around Halloween. Mind you, our late American friend Gregg 'Squirrel Man' Bassett was telling us a few years ago that he and his friends used to egg their local cop shop as teens back in the 50s!