Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Gun ooks breaking the law....

Gun ooks breaking the law....

Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:45 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gun ooks breaking the law....

Well as hidden cameras are all the rage these days, lets watch the gun kooks breaking the law. Yep, it's payback time! Ordinarily I wouldn't be especially worried, but since these these types of kooks started the game, why not play along with it. Please note that these folks aren't doing something stupid and embarrassing -- they're just plain breaking the law.

http://www.gunshowundercover.org/
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:50 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gun ooks breaking the law....

I love firearms and I love to shoot. This investigation highlights 2 of my biggest concerns with firearms in the U.S.

I hate the NRA lobbyists that stop legislation in this area.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:53 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
I love firearms and I love to shoot. This investigation highlights 2 of my biggest concerns with firearms in the U.S.

I also shoot occasionally and am fine with folks owning guns. But the NRA and the kooks that follow them....make me puke, too, I'm afraid.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:56 am

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I also shoot occasionally and am fine with folks owning guns. But the NRA and the kooks that follow them....make me puke, too, I'm afraid.
Yeah they seem to think that gun control means holding it with 2 hands.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:59 am
Septicity

Yeah they seem to think that gun control means holding it with 2 hands.
Every time I get a lecture from an NRA fundamentalist, I'm ready to ban them by the end. When there's absolutely no room for any compromise on one side, where else is there to go?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

The posts in this thread show that the posters in question aren't familiar with the topic at all, to put it very very very mildly.
The NRA has co-operated and compromised and helped draft gun control legislation from its very beginning. All the major gun control acts have been created WITH the co-operation of the NRA. To the point that REAL gunners see the NRA als sell-outs and Elmer Fudds.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Kar98
The NRA has co-operated and compromised and helped draft gun control legislation from its very beginning. All the major gun control acts have been created WITH the co-operation of the NRA. To the point that REAL gunners see the NRA als sell-outs and Elmer Fudds.
Please educate me. Can you show me links to the gun control acts the NRA have co-operated on.

No sarcasm, I truly am interested.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:35 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Please educate me. Can you show me links to the gun control acts the NRA have co-operated on.

No sarcasm, I truly am interested.
I know one was fixing the legislation that allowed that nut at VA Tech to purchase firearms and I'm pretty sure there was more. Let me look around a bit...

Here's an article on it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2923101.shtml

and a wiki entry detailing critisicm of the NRA by other RKBA organizations for essentially being too soft... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa..._organizations

Last edited by another bloody yank; Oct 8th 2009 at 11:43 am.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:52 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to address the OP...

If they are found guilty of breaking a law, nail them. I'm all for enforcing laws already on the books.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I think the solutions on the bottom are wrong.

1) Checks should be required on all private sales whether at a gun show or not. The "Gun Show" loophole isn't a gun show loophole.

2) The gun shows are already crawling with ATF and local police. They're the ones trying to be discreet about looking over your shoulder while you fill in the paperwork but not succeeding.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I had a feeling this would show up on BE. Headlines often refer to the "gun show loophole". Even though much of this activity happens at gun shows, the label is misleading. Federally licenced gun dealers (Type 1 FFL) are required to do a NICS check and record all transfers whether the sale occurs at a gun shop or at a show. Anything that is illegal at the gun shop is also illegal at the gun show; there really is no loophole.

But what about sellers who aren't FFL holders? Suppose I want to sell one of my guns. It's legal for me to do that, but how do I find a willing buyer? Ebay or craigslist? Nope, no guns allowed. There are a lot of likely buyers at the local gun show, though. So I could go there and buy a table, or stand outside holding a sign advertising what I'm selling. Since I have no way of doing a NICS check, I have to take the buyer's word that he's not prohibited from owning what I'm selling. This is a big opening for illegal activity.

FWIW I've never done a private purchase or sale. And if congress announced that there's going to be a new gun law and asked me what I think it should be, my choice would be to have private transfers go through an FFL. So I would transfer it to a federal dealer, and he would run the NICS on the buyer and log it to him. I believe some states require this already. Would this actually reduce gun crime though? I don't know.

This opinon would get me branded a statist by the most strident of gun-rights supporters, but I'm all for keeping guns out of the hands of those who are disqualified to own them.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:56 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Suppose I want to sell one of my guns. It's legal for me to do that, but how do I find a willing buyer?
FIL picks a lot of guns and ammo up at yard and estate sales.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

That, is quite disturbing !
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

FIL picks a lot of guns and ammo up at yard and estate sales.
Aye, or local papers advertise up in Maine...very easy to buy/sell without a license as you don't need them unless going through a proper dealer.

Did get a giggle last year when some one in ME got into a bit of trouble for selling a gun to an out of state person, plates on the truck being a given, but he sold it anyway as the explaination of "it's a work truck" being good enough. The seller was a retired senior cop too

Really funny thing though, guns come down the east coast from Maine directly because cops aren't bothered by them, but they do look for drugs, which means they now come the long route via Vermont apparently, causing the scandle of inflated costs...I don't get that one, your getting something dodgy, don't complain about the retail rate I say
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:21 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I forgot to address the OP...

If they are found guilty of breaking a law, nail them. I'm all for enforcing laws already on the books.
Yep.

Incidentally, it turns out that both cops and feds have criticized Bloomberg for this stunt, saying it screws up ongoing investigations.

They told him that last time, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.