Grocery Shopping!!!

Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grocery Shopping!!!

Originally Posted by Elvira
Same here.

I nearly always take my own bags. I have large, sturdy Sainsbury's bags which I've had for nearly 2 years and they are still going strong. They are bright orange and attract a fair bit of attention

(PS: I saw some similar - albeit less colourful - bags being offered at Costco the other day. Sadly I did not see anyone buying them. Beats me why peeps want a tangle of dozens of tiny plastic bags when they could put everything into a few sturdy big bags...)
Well I love the little plastic bags, because I reuse them for my small garbage cans, rather than buying some.

I'll bag stuff, if there's no bagger. But the cashier always finishes ringing up stuff before I get it all bagged, and then I have to dash back to do the payment. But that's fine.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:52 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
Mrs Titchski bought back a couple of Tescos everlasting shopping bag things. They've got ladybirds on. I look like a right ponce when I'm at the checkout with them.

Publix goon: "Paper or plastic?"
Me: "Erm can you just put them in these please?"
Publix goon thinks: "WTF? damn English fag"
Same thoughts in Ohio
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
Mrs Titchski bought back a couple of Tescos everlasting shopping bag things. They've got ladybirds on. I look like a right ponce when I'm at the checkout with them.

Publix goon: "Paper or plastic?"
Me: "Erm can you just put them in these please?"
Publix goon thinks: "WTF? damn English fag"
Haha, I can see that

Its funny, Publix Goon generally just says "Plastic OK?" I've always wondered what they would do if I said "No, it's not!" - There often doesn't seem to see any of the brown paper bags kicking around.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:44 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Haha, I can see that

Its funny, Publix Goon generally just says "Plastic OK?" I've always wondered what they would do if I said "No, it's not!" - There often doesn't seem to see any of the brown paper bags kicking around.
I was a bagger when the plastic bags first came out. We were instructed to ask the customer if they prefered paper or plastic bags. If they had no preference we were to use plastic as they are much cheaper. After that went on a while the policy changed and were told to ask "Is plastic OK?" Subtle difference.

People had no qualms about telling me exactly how they wanted it done, a paper bag inside of a plastic one, make 'em light, make 'em heavy, double bag this, leave that out... After you bag groceries for a while, as odd as it sounds you learn what items "fit" together in a bag and as you spot those things coming down the belt I would set something aside until I got something else that would fit with it. Of course, frozen stuff went together, meat went together, dairy stuff went together, bread seperate from everything, no glass jars next to each other... Big smile and chat nice with the MILFs... I actually had a woman customer fix me up with her daughter! She was named Colleen... It didn't work out. I was young and inexperienced at the time, I should have realized that any girl who's Mom is giving her number out to baggers at the grocery store must have issues. Her's was that she was no fun, boring as hell. Besides, She was of Irish descent and lived in the Irish neighborhood (Dogtown), and I lived in the Italian section (The Hill). Two different worlds....
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I was a bagger when the plastic bags first came out. We were instructed to ask the customer if they prefered paper or plastic bags. If they had no preference we were to use plastic as they are much cheaper. After that went on a while the policy changed and were told to ask "Is plastic OK?" Subtle difference.

People had no qualms about telling me exactly how they wanted it done, a paper bag inside of a plastic one, make 'em light, make 'em heavy, double bag this, leave that out... After you bag groceries for a while, as odd as it sounds you learn what items "fit" together in a bag and as you spot those things coming down the belt I would set something aside until I got something else that would fit with it. Of course, frozen stuff went together, meat went together, dairy stuff went together, bread seperate from everything, no glass jars next to each other... Big smile and chat nice with the MILFs... I actually had a woman customer fix me up with her daughter! She was named Colleen... It didn't work out. I was young and inexperienced at the time, I should have realized that any girl who's Mom is giving her number out to baggers at the grocery store must have issues. Her's was that she was no fun, boring as hell. Besides, She was of Irish descent and lived in the Irish neighborhood (Dogtown), and I lived in the Italian section (The Hill). Two different worlds....
You sound like you were my dream bagger.

What makes me crazy - I often separate the refrigerated and frozen stuff on the belt, so hopefully it'll get bagged together. And then some goofy kid mixes it all up for me.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Hail, O Bagging Master!

I do find the quality of the bagging varies - some work as above, others not so.....I never give anyone a hard time or tell them how to do though.

One question for you on bagging "Etiquete" ABY - I often jump in if I see they are a bit slow and struggling; but sometimes I wonder if this isn't really welcome - does it make them look bad to management if the customer is seen to be helping out? I wouldn't want anyone to lose a job over it.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:23 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym

What makes me crazy - I often separate the refrigerated and frozen stuff on the belt, so hopefully it'll get bagged together. And then some goofy kid mixes it all up for me.
Me too!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:25 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym

Our checkers were closely watched and timed, they had to be fast (Items scanned per minute) or they were gone. They couldn't take the time to seperate stuff, it came down the belt as it came out of the cart. The better ones practically threw things down the belt at me.
It was to keep wait times down for the customers in line, is what the managers told us. Out of the goodness of their hearts, I'm sure...

I hated bagging babyfood jars. People always bought a million of those things at a time. If they wanted plastic bags with those I had to tie the handles of the bag together or the jars would just roll all over the place.

I came to loathe that job...
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:33 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Dan725
Hail, O Bagging Master!

I do find the quality of the bagging varies - some work as above, others not so.....I never give anyone a hard time or tell them how to do though.

One question for you on bagging "Etiquete" ABY - I often jump in if I see they are a bit slow and struggling; but sometimes I wonder if this isn't really welcome - does it make them look bad to management if the customer is seen to be helping out? I wouldn't want anyone to lose a job over it.
Are you kidding? Customers "helping out" screwed up my whole system! Damn amateurs...

The manager might take note if it seems to be happening often to same guy, but I doubt anyone would lose a job over it unless it was really bad, lines backing up into the store constantly kind of thing.

Customers helping out screwed up my whole system!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are you kidding? Customers "helping out" screwed up my whole system! Damn amateurs...

The manager might take note if it seems to be happening often to same guy, but I doubt anyone would lose a job over it unless it was really bad, lines backing up into the store constantly kind of thing.

Customers helping out screwed up my whole system!
hehe, yes I can see that - I'd never jump in on one the "Pros", thats a fact! Its usually some of the old'uns who are sadly being forced to work in retirement who I like to help out - but they are the last people I'd like to see get fired.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

I avoid the paper or plastic question by shopping at Aldi, and buying the rest via the self-checkout aisles at Meijer or D&W. No more will someone fold a French stick in half by putting it in the same flimsy plastic bag as a can of beans.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:52 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by E17Avenue
I avoid the paper or plastic question by shopping at Aldi, and buying the rest via the self-checkout aisles at Meijer or D&W. No more will someone fold a French stick in half by putting it in the same flimsy plastic bag as a can of beans.
I have heard that French sticks are not very rigid.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

At my local Dominicks I also get funny looks if I attempt to bag my own shopping... in fact, one time, when I went to help bag, the bagger just about elbowed me right out of the way! So I dutily went to stand at the check out to pay, but I just felt like such a waste of space, standing there waiting for someone else to do it for me. It didn't feel right.

In the UK they really only offer to help you if you're elderly or have an unruly kid to attend to, otherwise you are left to do it yourself. And to be honest, I prefer packing my own stuff too. I like to keep frozen stuff together, and raw meats in separate bags... last week when I unpacked I found mortadella from the meat counter packed next to raw chicken...
Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:06 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember everyone. You are PAYING for this service in the markup on your grocery. Get your money's worth when going. If you think of it this way then there's no shame in letting someone who is paid to do that for you. Let him earn his keep and help keep them employed. After all he needs that money to take out his girlfriend with on a date or to go to school. Just a thought.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

True, but if they're gonna ruin my soft or fragile shopping by packing it poorly, it's not even worth the markup!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.