gravy browning

Old Dec 6th 2004, 11:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gravy browning

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I have actually gotten my Brit DH to eat Country Fried Steak with the white gravy on potato and meat at Cracker Barrel. He has tried biscuits and gravy but not on his "must have" list.
What amazes me is he NEVER seasons anything-no salt or pepper. In fact he doesn't even like pepper, but he likes his curry!!!

I'm like your DH in regards to salt. Never season table food with salt. But will use pepper if required. As for curry, my sentiments on that spice has already been given.

Rete
Old Dec 7th 2004, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

PHILPOTT is an unknown quantity at this point

Curry - invented by the Brits in India to cover the taste of spoiled meat (it being hot with no refrigeration in the 1800s)

I have introduced evey one of my social groups to trifle - they all love it, especially when I make it less sweet (and of course add the sherry!!)

I also have the recipe for real Cornish pasties - from Tintagel - oh yes.

I could go on all day....

Oooo oooo.. Cheddar - from Cheddar.....hurghuuugh....droooool....sigh!
Old Dec 7th 2004, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

PHILPOTT is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: gravy browning

Almost forgot....

Biscuits and gravy look like cat vomit
Old Dec 7th 2004, 7:21 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PHILPOTT
Almost forgot....

Biscuits and gravy look like cat vomit

And blood/black pudding is attractive?o
Old Dec 7th 2004, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

cjcherri is an unknown quantity at this point

My mother in law use WORCHESTERSHIRE sauce to brown her gravy, however, if you bake your turkey in the oven, save the pan and cook your gravy from the pan it would give you the same color.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

CARAMEL is an unknown quantity at this point

You CANT make Bisto! But you CAN make gravy! I am a British housewife married to a USC and I can assure you that there is NOTHING available, in the South of USA at least, that comes close to Bisto!

I seriously miss gravy with my evening meals and the US 'white stuff' just does not meet the divide. Unless you can import some Bisto from somewhere, and I am told that Publix stocks it but I have not found it there myself, you are best to make your own gravy.

Using the juices from your meat, water, and stock cube of choice (pref. beef), up to about 3/4 pint fluid, bring to slow boil. Meantime, mix about a tablespoon of ordinary white flour with small amount of very cold water to a smooth paste. Using whisk, briskly mix in the paste to the simmering stock. This is about as near as you will get and CAN be very nice if you get a good meat stock.

One reason Bisto is SO popular in the UK is that it is commonly sold as "instant" Bisto. You simply whisk whilst adding boiling water - couldn't be simpler. However, original Bisto was/is a brown powder which you need to mix carefully to avoid lumps and gloopiness - a bit like the home-made method above.
GOOD LUCK, BEST REGARDS
CARAMEL

Originally Posted by lielansteve
How do I make gravy browning? My Brit husband says it's something you buy in
the store.. well it's not in stores here and I'd rather make it if I can anyway.

Why does my Brit husband complain so about the gravy in the USA? What's the
difference in Brit and American gravy??
Old Apr 5th 2005, 12:34 am
Just Joined

HLH Moreno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CARAMEL
Using the juices from your meat, water, and stock cube of choice (pref. beef), up to about 3/4 pint fluid, bring to slow boil. Meantime, mix about a tablespoon of ordinary white flour with small amount of very cold water to a smooth paste. Using whisk, briskly mix in the paste to the simmering stock. This is about as near as you will get and CAN be very nice if you get a good meat stock.
that...my friends is some real tasty gravy made the proper way. i think that when it is made this way, far superior to bisto but bisto is a very tasty substitute
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:04 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
Have someone over in the UK ship you some BISTO. I just had it for the first time this past week while we were there visiting. It is much better than what we have here. We brought home 8 containers of it...............along with an ENTIRE SUITCASE filled with nothing but FOOD! Mmmmmmmmm
We declared it all on the customs form and they let us through with it. They asked if we were going to share the chocolates with them at the airport! LOL
Hi:

When we WENT to the UK to visit my expat brother-in-law we took a suit case full of oreo cookies and cream soda.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:18 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

When we WENT to the UK to visit my expat brother-in-law we took a suit case full of oreo cookies and cream soda.
Just goes to show, "nowt so queer as folk".
Old Apr 5th 2005, 7:10 am
Gold Edition

I usually opt for the Dandelion and Burdock, with bags and bags of Quavers
when when me and the wife go back to Utah to visit the in-laws lol

Old Apr 5th 2005, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I'm constantly bringing Cream Soda to my Canadian friends.... and they are constantly sending me Smarties, Aero, Caramilk bars and ketchup chips!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
I'm constantly bringing Cream Soda to my Canadian friends.... and they are constantly sending me Smarties, Aero, Caramilk bars and ketchup chips!

Well I'm heading to Canada on the 15th of this month. What do you want me to bring back?

Right now on our list is

Diet Pepsi
Tetley Tea
Scotch Mints

Don't hit me but I dislike European chocolate but will bring you back some if you want. You know I won't be sampling it.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Out of curiosity, what does this have to do with immigration?

Originally Posted by Rete
Well I'm heading to Canada on the 15th of this month. What do you want me to bring back?

Right now on our list is

Diet Pepsi
Tetley Tea
Scotch Mints

Don't hit me but I dislike European chocolate but will bring you back some if you want. You know I won't be sampling it.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:45 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by DCMark
Out of curiosity, what does this have to do with immigration?
Since it is a resurrected non-immigration thread what the &*() do you care?
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Its interesting Rete, that I have seen you move stuff out of the fourm that does not interest you when its OT, but when its something you care to respond to it stays. You also seem to be pretty firm in requiring the letters OT in a topic, yet not for this inane subject.

Why can't we just discuss visa immigration issues here? There are so many other fourms for OT discussion, both in BE and all over the Internet. This topic is way more appropriate for the USA fourm.

Originally Posted by Rete
Since it is a resurrected non-immigration thread what the &*() do you care?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.