Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon - rim to river again!

Grand Canyon - rim to river again!

Old Jun 1st 2016, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grand Canyon - rim to river again!

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Realistically, what do you need? If the cabins provide showers, soap, and towels, I could imagine suffering through the next day in the same clothes (maybe carry t-shirt and undies). If there are meal facilities when you get there then you don't need to carry food. If the shuttle doesn't leave at the crack of dawn, then you can also grab a bite before you leave the next day. I see a plan brewing ...
Complete change of clothes including shoes, plus personal toiletries was all I left at the south rim. I guess I could have worn what I hiked in on the next day but I definitely would have preferred not to!
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grand Canyon - rim to river again!

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Complete change of clothes including shoes, plus personal toiletries was all I left at the south rim. I guess I could have worn what I hiked in on the next day but I definitely would have preferred not to!
So why would this not be preferable:
1) drive to south rim, leave car full of goodies (change of clothes, etc).
2) take shuttle to North rim, wearing the next day's hiking gear (but not sweating like a pig in them!)
3) spend night at cabin in North.
4) hike to South Rim next day, and retrieve your change of clothing from car.

This way, you have your gear on arrival at the end, you took the long, tedious shuttle the day before the hike rather than after (good / bad?), and you did the easier north-south rather than the harder south-north (debatable perhaps).