Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Going to Seattle... Should we drive or fly?

Wikiposts

Going to Seattle... Should we drive or fly?

Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:21 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to Seattle... Should we drive or fly?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I have to agree with you. Would remind me of taking cross country trips when I was younger.....OMG, talk about boring!
No matter how old you get there's still the urge to ask 'Are we there yettttt???', LOL. I know I would with a road trip from STL to SEA. Gimme three hours in a plane with my laptop as a DVD player and I'm set with a Diet Coke and peanuts.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:23 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
What's the deal with Medora? Never heard of it! Your route has fantastic possibilities, but I could take two weeks just doing the one way!
Ahh Medora, I've heard it's a cool place to visit. Word of advice to everyone, don't let your kids get a summer job there...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:27 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
No matter how old you get there's still the urge to ask 'Are we there yettttt???', LOL. I know I would with a road trip from STL to SEA. Gimme three hours in a plane with my laptop as a DVD player and I'm set with a Diet Coke and peanuts.
I'm different, as I'd like the drive, but only the first time. I like to see new stuff, but if it was same old, same old, then maybe not. Still prefer it to flying though as airline seats are always too cramped.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:36 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
I'm different, as I'd like the drive, but only the first time. I like to see new stuff, but if it was same old, same old, then maybe not. Still prefer it to flying though as airline seats are always too cramped.
What airline do you fly? Is it Untied (misspelled on purpose)?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:53 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I don't have 3 months and a million dollars(), but that is a great trip, according to people I know who've done it.
I was merely jesting. We took the train from LA to Seattle and it took 30 hours to get there. You see some great sights you'd never see on the plane or freeway. Here's a few of the sights we saw from the sleeper compartment on the train.
Attached Thumbnails Going to Seattle... Should we drive or fly?-10.-northern-cal-morning.jpg   Going to Seattle... Should we drive or fly?-18.-approaching-mt.-shasta-cal..jpg   Going to Seattle... Should we drive or fly?-31.-klamath-falls-oregon.jpg   Going to Seattle... Should we drive or fly?-86.-puget-sound-bridge-2.jpg   Going to Seattle... Should we drive or fly?-96.-california-wetland-seals.jpg  

Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Gorgeous photos!

And I never knew the Coast Starlight went through KFalls!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:13 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Gorgeous photos!

And I never knew the Coast Starlight went through KFalls!
Yeah, at least it did in 2001. I doubt they've changed the railroad. The journey started in Downtown LA, up the coast a little to Santa Barbara, past Mount Shasta, through Klamath Falls, OR. Through Puget Sound, WA to Seattle. Great fun.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:16 am
I love my brick!

What airline do you fly? Is it Untied (misspelled on purpose)?
Well I've flown on quite a few, and it's always a problem. The best airline I've found for domestic is AirTran, and international is Virgin
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:20 am
Riding on silver wings

Well I've flown on quite a few, and it's always a problem. The best airline I've found for domestic is AirTran, and international is Virgin
I dig AirTran. Not as cheap as they used to be but they get the job done. I flew them when they were ValuJet from IAD to ATL at the time. Now my airline of choice of course is SW even though AT serves MCI.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:41 am
I love my brick!

I dig AirTran. Not as cheap as they used to be but they get the job done. I flew them when they were ValuJet from IAD to ATL at the time. Now my airline of choice of course is SW even though AT serves MCI.
The trouble is now I'm in Iowa the local airport (CID just for you as you like the airport TLAs ), the only airline that flies anywhere I would want to go is Delta *spit*, who I refuse to fly with after persistent bad service.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:52 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Train
The train can potentially work out good value for us - as those with non-US passports can get massively-reduced railpass fares. Depending on exactly how far you want to travel it can work out much cheaper that regular coach fares. You still need to tag on the regular sleeper supplements if you want a bedroom though, but they to can be great value if you time it right (and mot definitely not if you don't...)
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:52 am
Riding on silver wings

The trouble is now I'm in Iowa the local airport (CID just for you as you like the airport TLAs ), the only airline that flies anywhere I would want to go is Delta *spit*, who I refuse to fly with after persistent bad service.
I also use the international ICAO codes as well. Our country code here is K. The UK is E. So you would be KCID. Heathrow is EGLL. Just a pointless factoid.

I totally feel you on Delta even though I have a cousin who flies for them.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:13 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I also use the international ICAO codes as well. Our country code here is K. The UK is E. So you would be KCID. Heathrow is EGLL. Just a pointless factoid.

I totally feel you on Delta even though I have a cousin who flies for them.
Travel nerd.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:15 pm
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Travel nerd.
Thank you! Travel nerd at your service.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:16 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
I was merely jesting. We took the train from LA to Seattle and it took 30 hours to get there. You see some great sights you'd never see on the plane or freeway. Here's a few of the sights we saw from the sleeper compartment on the train.
If (only) I had the $$$ and the time I would do it in a minute. I think it would be fantastic, and I would get to stay on terra firma. Well, not so firma on a train...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.