Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Going to Seattle... Should we drive or fly?

Wikiposts

Going to Seattle... Should we drive or fly?

Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:43 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to Seattle... Should we drive or fly?

Originally Posted by zargof
Well what are you thinking about seeing if you drive? Are there particular attractions you are looking for, and how far out of the way would they be from the most direct route?

I've just checked and it's about 2000 miles from Frankford to Seattle, and yes that is certainly possible to do in 3 days, but it will be a *lot* of driving and not much time to see things. IMO after a few hours all the interstates start to look alike.

I'm not saying don't drive, but I think 3 days is optimistic if you want to make it enjoyable rather than just a drive.
That's what I mean, in order to make the drive a kind of vacation within a vacation we'd have to cut into "Family" time to make it worthwhile. There's all kinds of things I'd like to see along the way, first probably being Medora, ND, which would require an addition to Google's STL to Seattle route of about 850 miles.

My current thinking is drive from STL to Seattle with only brief (1-2hrs max) sightseeing stops along the way and a make a "Western" trip another vacation altogether. I think it's too much to do both in one trip, and the price to fly just scared the shit out of me. (Sorry Cindy!)
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:44 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
ABY, hammer out some firm dates will ya. Be careful in picking your departure days. They will definitely affect your fees. Cindy can advise you better about that.
There are firm dates, I just wasn't paying attention when they were told to me...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:46 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
There are firm dates, I just wasn't paying attention when they were told to me...
You are a goober.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:49 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Well get them ABY!!! Times a wasting. Are you able to download Ding to your desktop at work? Do it like yesterday. Reason why I say that is that I was able to get 7 roundtrip tickets for a conference in San Diego last year from MCI-SAN for under $1,300 last year. These tickets were non-stop both ways. Each person in my group ended up paying $181.00 for their ticket. I was the hero for the moment because they were going for over $250 before the Ding came through. It's an awesome thing when a Ding happens and you've got the cash at hand AND it fits your schedule.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:59 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I mean, in order to make the drive a kind of vacation within a vacation we'd have to cut into "Family" time to make it worthwhile. There's all kinds of things I'd like to see along the way, first probably being Medora, ND, which would require an addition to Google's STL to Seattle route of about 850 miles.

My current thinking is drive from STL to Seattle with only brief (1-2hrs max) sightseeing stops along the way and a make a "Western" trip another vacation altogether. I think it's too much to do both in one trip, and the price to fly just scared the shit out of me. (Sorry Cindy!)
No problemo, after all planes use fuel too,
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:03 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Well get them ABY!!! Times a wasting. Are you able to download Ding to your desktop at work? Do it like yesterday. Reason why I say that is that I was able to get 7 roundtrip tickets for a conference in San Diego last year from MCI-SAN for under $1,300 last year. These tickets were non-stop both ways. Each person in my group ended up paying $181.00 for their ticket. I was the hero for the moment because they were going for over $250 before the Ding came through. It's an awesome thing when a Ding happens and you've got the cash at hand AND it fits your schedule.
What the hell is a "Ding"?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:06 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by cindyabs
You are a goober.
It's not my fault. She insists on talking to me when I'm showing my son how to advance to the next level of SOCOM on his PSP.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:20 am
Sursum corda

It's not my fault. She insists on talking to me when I'm showing my son how to advance to the next level of SOCOM on his PSP.
Yeah, yeah, whatever, your twin (even though he's a Brit) lives with me.

A ding is better than a dong.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:27 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

What the hell is a "Ding"?
Ding is a desktop application available for download and installation from Southwest. Any time Southwest issues special fares it will 'Ding' like the noise you hear when calling for a flight attendant. It gives you fares that aren't on the regular fare grid on the website. It's an awesome tool for saving money. That's all I can tell you. Just know that you'll have to sign up for a Rapid Rewards account. I've got an account with them and I'm really satisfied that they aren't bombarding me with emails and letters. I rarely receive snail mail from them. I do subscribe to their emails though. Give it a go.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We just did a similar drive to spend 10 days net with the fam.. it worked out OK for us, but we didn't have the kid factor. The part you might not think of, on top of gas, is hotels and road food.. it added up surprisingly fast. My 'oh come stay with us for free!' trip cost about $2K.

While it was great to see what we -did- see, we were powering through and didn't have time to stop at ANY of the stuff I wanted to. DH had to be content with seeing 'The West' out the window.

What's the deal with Medora? Never heard of it! Your route has fantastic possibilities, but I could take two weeks just doing the one way!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:24 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by meauxna
We just did a similar drive to spend 10 days net with the fam.. it worked out OK for us, but we didn't have the kid factor. The part you might not think of, on top of gas, is hotels and road food.. it added up surprisingly fast. My 'oh come stay with us for free!' trip cost about $2K.

While it was great to see what we -did- see, we were powering through and didn't have time to stop at ANY of the stuff I wanted to. DH had to be content with seeing 'The West' out the window.

What's the deal with Medora? Never heard of it! Your route has fantastic possibilities, but I could take two weeks just doing the one way!
I know, my list of stuff to see out that way would fill pages...

Theodore Roosevelt's ranches... To say I'm a fan of his would be a severe understatement!

http://www.nps.gov/thro/

http://www.nps.gov/archive/thro/tr_cabin.htm
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:34 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Train
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:36 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Train
I don't have 3 months and a million dollars(), but that is a great trip, according to people I know who've done it.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:49 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I know, my list of stuff to see out that way would fill pages...

Theodore Roosevelt's ranches... To say I'm a fan of his would be a severe understatement!

http://www.nps.gov/thro/

http://www.nps.gov/archive/thro/tr_cabin.htm
hunh! "During Roosevelt;s presidency, the Maltese Cross cabin was exhibited in Portland, Oregon and St. Louis." I did not know that! I'll bet that was on Swan Island not far from where I live...

That looks beautiful, and I'll have to add that part of ND to the 'still to be seen' list.. I love it out there.
There's a wacky National Park in Nebraska too... the story I heard is that they didn't want to be left out of the Nat'l Forest program so they 'built' a mountain and planted pine trees there so it could be a National Forest.
They have a nice swimming pool there.. it was a good place to stop in sweltering July (factor that into your drive as well.. HOT!).
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss scouse atl
Personally I would have to fly. Dont think I could take being stuck in a car that long.

I have to agree with you. Would remind me of taking cross country trips when I was younger.....OMG, talk about boring!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.