Go back or stay.

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Itsucks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Go back or stay.

Are people not concerned about going back to the UK with the economy in such a bad state at the moment? with regards to the getting jobs and purchasing a house. In the news they say it will be bad in the UK for at least the next two years what are your thoughts on this. Would you risk going home or stay where you are to see what happens.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:19 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go back or stay.

I can't see it being any worse than the US is at the moment, it'll take years to recover here too. So six of one and half dozen of the other.
I'm not heading home just yet It'll take us a while.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Itsucks
Are people not concerned about going back to the UK with the economy in such a bad state at the moment? with regards to the getting jobs and purchasing a house. In the news they say it will be bad in the UK for at least the next two years what are your thoughts on this. Would you risk going home or stay where you are to see what happens.
Then you can add the US and UK sending aircraft carriers to the Gulf some think is due to possible attack on Iran; Russia being a bad boy; and then economic woes everywhere else.

With that kind of fear (which is what I have), there is no choice. Must go back. Safer at "home".

Jobs are being advertised everywhere. I can flip burgers, if that is what it will take to feed my 2 year old son. My 1 Bsc and 2 Masters can bloody wait. 8-))
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:27 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Good sense reply, but stay away as long as you can because you can always chose to flip burgers later on.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 5:02 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

It doesn't affect everyone though. My family are still happy and plodding on in the UK.
We will benefit alot going back, hopefully get a cheap house, the recession will help our business we run, as people tend to get things repaired rather than buy new.
By the time we are up and running, things may be back to normal.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

It is likely to be a global recession and Australia is not going to be immune so it certainly won't stop me leaving here (Aus)to go back to the UK.

Plus with flights getting more expensive and airlines cutting capacity it makes more sense to be there for me.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

It has very little to do with economics for me I'm afraid - although we are definately financially worse off here than in the UK (mainly due to the fact that I can't get a job).

We're heading back next year mainly because we now realise that our friends and family are priceless. Our social life was one long merry go round and we know that people are missing us as much as we miss them. I can go for days here where the only people I speak to are my OH and 6 year old. I have three best friends in the UK who I have known since I was very young and our kids all call us 'auntie and uncle'. I never seemed to be in in the UK and often thought that I spread myself too thinly - but now I have nothing.

I have tried to make friends and meet new people, but you can't force friendships- they should just happen, kind of grow organically if you know what I mean. I feel like a square peg trying to fit a round hole.

Although saying that, I do think that we will be in a better financial position in the UK. OH is a Forklift Engineer and they are needed everywhere! Even if we don't actually 'produce' much thesedays, things still need moving! I worked in a bank in the UK and am good friends with the branch manager (and without wanting to sound bigheaded, was pretty well thought of within the bank - left chance of promotion to come here) and she intimated that I could have my job back if I wanted it. My income was really for the nice things in life (something we are greatly missing) so I really don't think the 'recession' would hit us too hard. At the moment the bulk of our money is still in the UK and as we got off the property ladder just in time and over the years have made pretty good decisions, so with the housing market as it is in the UK, we may actually be able to afford a better house than we had before!

To be honest though, I would go back and live in a cardboard box if it got me out of here!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 8:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide

To be honest though, I would go back and live in a cardboard box if it got me out of here!
Too true. Can't wait to go back. The recession wil be global, so here or there won't make much difference job wise. At least at home, I will be with family and friends, and they are worth more than money.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about

:
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:45 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

This is a worldwide problem, not one exclusive to the UK. I am already back here waiting for hubby to join me and I can categorically say, that both my daugthers and their families do not seem particularly affected by it. In fact the daugther I am staying with is moving house in 3 weeks time to a larger home.
Yes, bills are going up, but thats happening everywhere not just here.
Jobs ar still readily available, people are still spending money.. oh.. and guess what? The sun is shining today
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:25 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
This is a worldwide problem, not one exclusive to the UK. I am already back here waiting for hubby to join me and I can categorically say, that both my daugthers and their families do not seem particularly affected by it. In fact the daugther I am staying with is moving house in 3 weeks time to a larger home.
Yes, bills are going up, but thats happening everywhere not just here.
Jobs ar still readily available, people are still spending money.. oh.. and guess what? The sun is shining today
Hi There,

I bet you have no flies hanging about your nose either!

Carol
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:43 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mabozar
Hi There,

I bet you have no flies hanging about your nose either!

Carol

No!! Just the waft of bubbys nappy!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
No!! Just the waft of bubbys nappy!
Wait a minute Flea, wouldn't that attract flies
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:08 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Yes, I am concerned. But as everyone else is saying on here, it is a global problem. I am in a profession where I have to requalify in Canada - and if I think about the insecure situation I will be in over here for the next few years, I actually think I am a bit better off going to the UK, where at least I am qualified to do my job. I might not get a superb job again (as I doubt that people would be giving up their positions in superb places), but hopefully an ok one.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gotoronto
Yes, I am concerned. But as everyone else is saying on here, it is a global problem. I am in a profession where I have to requalify in Canada - and if I think about the insecure situation I will be in over here for the next few years, I actually think I am a bit better off going to the UK, where at least I am qualified to do my job. I might not get a superb job again (as I doubt that people would be giving up their positions in superb places), but hopefully an ok one.
I have to totally agree about it being a global problem. If you can find a job back home without much trouble I would definitely make the move if that is what you want. I don't think that things will get better around the world any time soon, no matter where you are. I'm heading back to the UK next year with no qualms about moving, it will be a good move for me, but then I know I can find work...............that is a biggy for many people..........good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.