Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Getting the hell outta NJ tonight!

Getting the hell outta NJ tonight!

Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:53 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting the hell outta NJ tonight!

Off to the UK tonight for the month of April with my 5 year old - hubs will be staying here - someone has to pay the bills!
During our stay, mum, son, and I will be off to Turkey and Rhodes, Greece for 11 days.

At the beginning, I was telling American acquaintances that we would be going to Turkey and they just could not get their narrow minds around it (heck - it's not Florida or the Bahamas or the Jersey shore). They would even say, "Why on earth Turkey??"

So in the end, I didn't even bother telling anyone I was going anywhere because they would just put a damper on it. They also couldn't get around the fact that I was taking my Kindergartner out of school for 13 days (as the rest of the time was spring break and Easter). Although, thumbs up for his Kindergarten teacher who DID think that it was a marvelous life experience and said he would probably learn more travelling than the days he is missing and even made him a journal up with all of the flags on the cover for him.
I figured it may never happen much again and my boy will probably not want to know me in a few years.

OK gotta finish packing - I'm trying to pack lightly, but my son keeps adding things in there, little does he know that there is a animal rescue charity shop near my mum's house and half of it will be going there so I don't need to bother lugging it all back!
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 5:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting the hell outta NJ tonight!

Sounds like fun
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the ones that are questioning "why Turkey" is the only Turkey they know sits on their Thanksgiving Day table. Have a great time while you're there.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 12:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a fun trip, enjoy!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
At the beginning, I was telling American acquaintances that we would be going to Turkey and they just could not get their narrow minds around it (heck - it's not Florida or the Bahamas or the Jersey shore). They would even say, "Why on earth Turkey??"
Tell the Americans that thousands of British people go on holiday to Turkey every year - it's a favoutite holiday destination for many here.....Bodrum is virtually Asia Minor's equivalent of the Spanish Costas, and a wander round the bazaars of Istanbul and practising the art of bargaining downwards on prices is a whole experience on its own....you are practically never expected to pay the asking price, ever.

In any case, Turkey is still pinning its hopes on joining the European Union at some future date - that's strange in itself when you consider the fact that only a very limited area of the vast country - including Istanbul as it happens but not its capital Ankara - is technically in Europe anyway. Before Turkey is ever to be taken seriously in this regard, which many real Europeans think it never will, it will have to get its act together in order to meet up with European standards of basic human rights.

Other than that many Brits have a delightful time on a Turkish holiday and flights to there from the UK are not all that long....about 3 hours or so I think, off hand.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 12:03 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Saw your thread title and thought, "but who will pump your petrol...!"

Have fun...!
Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Saw your thread title and thought, "but who will pump your petrol...!"

Have fun...!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:30 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Tell the Americans that thousands of British people go on holiday to Turkey every year - it's a favoutite holiday destination for many here.....Bodrum is virtually Asia Minor's equivalent of the Spanish Costas, and a wander round the bazaars of Istanbul and practising the art of bargaining downwards on prices is a whole experience on its own....you are practically never expected to pay the asking price, ever.

In any case, Turkey is still pinning its hopes on joining the European Union at some future date - that's strange in itself when you consider the fact that only a very limited area of the vast country - including Istanbul as it happens but not its capital Ankara - is technically in Europe anyway. Before Turkey is ever to be taken seriously in this regard, which many real Europeans think it never will, it will have to get its act together in order to meet up with European standards of basic human rights.

Other than that many Brits have a delightful time on a Turkish holiday and flights to there from the UK are not all that long....about 3 hours or so I think, off hand.
Actually Americans are not unaware of Turkey, at least those of us with military connections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incirlik_Air_Base