Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Gator grabs and kills child in Orlando Disney Resort

Gator grabs and kills child in Orlando Disney Resort

Old Jun 16th 2016, 4:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gator grabs and kills child in Orlando Disney Resort

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think you have conflated two facts: there is a substantial native population of crocodiles in Florida, and there has been since prehistoric times. Those crocs are dangerous, more so than alligators, which are already known to be extremely dangerous if you wander into their habitat or stand close to the bank of a body of water in Florida.

There are also now some Nile crocodiles in Florida, which are reputedly even more dangerous than the crocs native to Florida.

Given that alligators, which are endemic in Florida, and the population of native crocs, knowing that there are Nile crocs in Florida shouldn't require anyone to change their behaviour - any body of water in Florida is highly likely to contain one or more species of crocodilian any of which will try to eat you, and you should be extremely careful when in or near water in Florida. .... For completeness, I should point out that gators can be found in water anywhere in the South East US from South Carolina to Texas.
No I didn't conflate two facts! Native crocs are an entirely different thing, mostly salt water but now apparently to be found inland too. Recent research indicates that there are more exotic Nile crocs in FL than previously thought, and they are widespread. The Nile crocs actually want to eat people, whereas alligators only attack folks incidentally and less frequently. Doesn't help if you're one of the infrequent victims, of course.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

It was a lake with a beach in the middle of Disneyland surrounded by Disney hotels. I think the last thing you would be expecting are croc's in that body of water. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I don't blame the parents at all. The report I read had the mother paddling in the water with her son. This story is bad anyway, but as a father with a daughter who is 19 months old, I just can't imagine the horror of seeing that. Having kids puts a different perspective on everything, and thinking about this now almost makes me physically sick. Not sure how as parents you'd ever get over this.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 4:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
No I didn't conflate two facts! Native crocs are an entirely different thing, mostly salt water but now apparently to be found inland too. Recent research indicates that there are more exotic Nile crocs in FL than previously thought, and they are widespread. The Nile crocs actually want to eat people, whereas alligators only attack folks incidentally and less frequently. Doesn't help if you're one of the infrequent victims, of course.
You have just paraphrased what I said, whereas your earlier post that I quoted said (i) Nile crocs are "widespread" (I"m not sure how true that is? Compared to gators and native crocs, I suspect "not very"), and (ii) made no mention of native Floridian crocs, which are already more dangerous than gators.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 4:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

You have just paraphrased what I said, whereas your earlier post that I quoted said (i) Nile crocs are "widespread" (I"m not sure how true that is? Compared to gators and native crocs, I suspect "not very"), and (ii) made no mention of native Floridian crocs, which are already more dangerous than gators.
Why should I mention native crocs? What am I, writing an encyclopaedia entry already?
Old Jun 16th 2016, 5:01 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a shocking and horrible story.

I think blaming the parents is completely inappropriate. If you've been to WDW, you know that the Seven Seas Lagoon forms the center of the Magic Kingdom resort and that four major resorts all have beaches on the lagoon. Disney also has a huge wildlife management program already in place. Obviously appearances can be misleading, but the average person would assume that it doesn't get more safe/controlled than the beach at the Grand Floridian. In fact, Disney used to have a sizable water park right on the lagoon with only minimal barriers. I've stayed at three of the four resorts on the Seven Seas Lagoon and I'll admit that I hadn't considered gator attacks to be a concern during any of my visits.

However, I think Disney likely could have done a better job of informing visitors of the risks. Gators are impossible to keep out of any wet area in Florida and in retrospect this seems like it was a tragedy waiting to happen.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 5:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
..... Gators are impossible to keep out of any wet area in Florida and in retrospect this seems like it was a tragedy waiting to happen.
That was the only important part of your post. And I think "the average person" knows this. Unfortunately a few don't.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 5:15 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

That was the only important part of your post. And I think "the average person" knows this. Unfortunately a few don't.
Kind of a dickish response, no?
Old Jun 16th 2016, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have been following this story really closely as I just booked a Disney holiday and joined a Disney forum. Sorry.

I understand that he was paddling with mother after attending a beach event hosted by Disney. The beaches are man made, have sun loungers, a man made beach and an inviting lake. The sign is a fairly benign, white "no swimming" sign. It does not say "no paddling", it is not red to indicate danger and it certainly does not mention that there is any risk of alligators.

It may indeed be very appparent to residents that there are alligators in every stretch of water in Florida. It may be common knowledge amongst Flordians that Disney is built on a former swamp. But I am a reasonably intelligent and well traveled person and neither thing was apparent to me. It would not occur to me that a man made Disney beach would be harbouring alligators.

The signs should have warned of alligators. I do not believe that any parent, or indeed any non-parent would have wilfully enterd a body of water even for a paddle had they thought there was an alligator risk. My heart breaks for these parents, how they will ever get over this I do not know.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 5:31 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I have been following this story really closely as I just booked a Disney holiday and joined a Disney forum. Sorry.

I understand that he was paddling with mother after attending a beach event hosted by Disney. The beaches are man made, have sun loungers, a man made beach and an inviting lake. The sign is a fairly benign, white "no swimming" sign. It does not say "no paddling", it is not red to indicate danger and it certainly does not mention that there is any risk of alligators.

It may indeed be very appparent to residents that there are alligators in every stretch of water in Florida. It may be common knowledge amongst Flordians that Disney is built on a former swamp. But I am a reasonably intelligent and well traveled person and neither thing was apparent to me. It would not occur to me that a man made Disney beach would be harbouring alligators.

The signs should have warned of alligators. I do not believe that any parent, or indeed any non-parent would have wilfully enterd a body of water even for a paddle had they thought there was an alligator risk. My heart breaks for these parents, how they will ever get over this I do not know.

We were there in March and it makes me want to vomit slightly that we could have easily made the same mistake. I'm aware of crocs/gators in Florida but in Disney, no it never even crossed my mind. I've read some of the comments on Facebook- some people seem incapable of showing compassion..
Old Jun 16th 2016, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory

I've read some of the comments on Facebook- some people seem incapable of showing compassion..
Don't you just despise trolls? They obviously have nothing better to do than sit behind the shield of a computer making spiteful remarks.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 10:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a case of people on here not being compassionate...we are. It was a horrific thing to happen...both for the boy and his family. I don't know how you ever get over losing a child.

However we are allowed to post our views as to what we would or would not have done. No doubt the parents have done this a thousand times and will continue to do so for the rest of their lives.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe someone could post a link, there is a very good recent video of a large alligator found in Walmart parking lot in Sugarland, Texas. A very attractive, dental hygienist, part time alligator wrestler, saved the day. The gator wandered out of a creek behind the Walmart.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Lot of gators on FL golf courses too apparently!
Old Jun 16th 2016, 10:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Lot of gators on FL golf courses too apparently!
Florida is full of gators and snakes...I can't believe that people aren't aware of this! We often pull over if we see a stretch of freshwater...it's usually not too long before we spot a gator...from the safety of our car.

There are also poisonous snakes and mega huge boas!
Old Jun 17th 2016, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Florida is full of gators and snakes...I can't believe that people aren't aware of this!
I think they are. Doesn't change the fact, most would expect a lake surrounded by hotels in the heart of Disneyland to be gator free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.