Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

gas and electric bills

gas and electric bills

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default gas and electric bills

doing some number crunching....

when we left UK 6 years ago we paid around 30 pounds DD per month for gas (with central heating) and 35 pounds for electric - I suspect with all the price rises we will be paying a LOT more when we return

any ideas of average monthly DD for 3 bed semi ?
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all
Default Re: gas and electric bills

We pay about £135.00 pm for both. This is before the latest round of price hikes.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

kericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud ofkericare has much to be proud of

as long as you are happy thats all that counts we had a lovely house before we left the uk and we are going back my mums but as long as we are all together and we have family and friends around us thats all that matters
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:33 am
Just Joined

rusty100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spain

when we left UK 6 years ago we paid around 30 pounds DD per month for gas (with central heating) and 35 pounds for electric - I suspect with all the price rises we will be paying a LOT more when we return

We sold our house last year and have been renting a modest semi-detached since. Just the two of us.
Currently we pay £50 a month in electricity, but EON put the price up by 16% yesterday, so likely to be more shortly. We have no gas, but last year we spent about £1100 on heating oil for the central heating. It's gone up loads since I last bought any, which I'll have to do soon. Probably be around £1400 this year.
Council tax costs us about £138 a month.
Hope this helps.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain

At present we pay:-

Gas/Electric £96
Council Tax £99
Water £30
Buildings/Contents £20
TV Licence £12

This is based on a 3 bed semi with 2 adults and 2 kids. I do try and shop around for the best deals etc. Have found www.moneysavingexpert.com a wonderful site
Hope this helps a little.

Lynne
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:29 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

When we came back 7 wks ago , we signed up with the Utility Warehouse for one of their packages....we signed up for gas/elec/tele and internet, we get . the first 75 mins of any Uk landline call free . We recieved are first mthly bill acouple of days ago....for all 4 utilities and it was £91.07 which we thought was pretty good. Weve also just insured a new mini 1.6 fully comp for £197.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:30 am
Just Joined

floridapropertylover123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kericare
as long as you are happy thats all that counts we had a lovely house before we left the uk and we are going back my mums but as long as we are all together and we have family and friends around us thats all that matters
Very expensive in the UK, its unavoidable.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:07 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floridapropertylover123
Very expensive in the UK, its unavoidable.
You have no idea how expensive Canada is compared to the UK. I pay double what I paid in the UK for utility bills, in a similar sized house.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 2:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't sound bad to me either. I'm California.
Electric for us goes from a low of $50 in the winter (for about 1 or 2 months) to a high of close to $200 for about 4 or 5 months. Our highest ever was during all the power outages and was $450 for 30 days
Gas cost us a set rate of $55 a month.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 10:29 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
When we came back 7 wks ago , we signed up with the Utility Warehouse for one of their packages....we signed up for gas/elec/tele and internet, we get . the first 75 mins of any Uk landline call free . We recieved are first mthly bill acouple of days ago....for all 4 utilities and it was £91.07 which we thought was pretty good. Weve also just insured a new mini 1.6 fully comp for £197.
In Canada we was paying $65 per mth for gas ( gas hob only) everything else was run on electric ( heat pump ) and we averaged around $140 per mth, internet $45 mthly and telephone averaged around £70 per mth, admittedly their was afew Uk calls thrown in there.

I make that roughly $320 per mth.........Our taxes for our house ( rates) were $4075 per year. house insurance, i payed $600 . Car insurance for a mini 1.6S was $1400 and hubby paid $1600 for a second hand rav 4.
Family of 4 with 2 twelve yr olds.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Tujeste is an unknown quantity at this point

Gas / electricity £50 a month
Council tax £125
Water £45

3 bedroom semi in Bristol/Bath area