British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/future-exchange-rate-pounds-sterling-us-%24-any-opinions-917831/)

Seahorse1234 Sep 30th 2018 11:52 am

The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 
This hasn't been something I have looked into until recently. My limited finding show little change for the future 12 months. If any one has more insight into this, I would love to hear from you. Thanks.

dave2702 Oct 1st 2018 3:22 pm

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 
I think we're in for an "interesting" 6 months due to Brexit.

If the UK looks like Remaining or taking a very Soft Brexit then I'd think the £ is going to rise . But if a Hard Brexit looks likely then I wouldn't be surprised for it to hit $1.2 or even lower

lansbury Oct 1st 2018 4:55 pm

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 
It will go up

It will go down

It will stay the same.

It could possible do this on any given day, will likely do so in any given week, and definitely do so in any given month.

Lord PercyPercy Oct 1st 2018 5:21 pm

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 

Originally Posted by dave2702 (Post 12571152)
I think we're in for an "interesting" 6 months due to Brexit.

If the UK looks like Remaining or taking a very Soft Brexit then I'd think the £ is going to rise . But if a Hard Brexit looks likely then I wouldn't be surprised for it to hit $1.2 or even lower

Markets hate uncertainty and I think uncertainty is what we're in for.

tom169 Oct 2nd 2018 11:53 am

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 
Doesn't get much riskier than FOREX

BritInParis Oct 2nd 2018 6:26 pm

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12571222)
It will go up

It will go down

It will stay the same.

It could possible do this on any given day, will likely do so in any given week, and definitely do so in any given month.


Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy (Post 12571230)
Markets hate uncertainty and I think uncertainty is what we're in for.


Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12571565)
Doesn't get much riskier than FOREX

:goodpost:

robin1234 Oct 3rd 2018 12:35 pm

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 
when I was a lad, we called sixpence a tanner, a shilling a bob etc. Five shillings was referred to a a dollar.

Rete Oct 3rd 2018 5:43 pm

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 
Anyone with a crystal ball on the exchange for the Canadian vs US dollar? It has been in a nose dive for several years now (well under 1:1).

mrken30 Oct 3rd 2018 8:37 pm

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 
For past 2 years it has been a fairly steady $1.3 to £1 +/- 10c

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?f...o=USD&view=10Y

Seahorse1234 Oct 4th 2018 12:29 pm

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 
Thank you for the replies. And the general consensus. I was able to have a chat with a school friend who still lives in England , but owns a home in Florida so has been up on exchange rates for many years. So it seems the best thing to do is just hold tight for a least the next year.

nearpost1 Oct 26th 2018 9:47 pm

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 

Originally Posted by Seahorse1234 (Post 12572756)
Thank you for the replies. And the general consensus. I was able to have a chat with a school friend who still lives in England , but owns a home in Florida so has been up on exchange rates for many years. So it seems the best thing to do is just hold tight for a least the next year.

I’m waiting till we get through next March will then reevaluate. Hoping for a second referendum, but instead we’ll likely wind up with kicking the can down the road for a decade. As I understand it if we do opt for a prolonged extension or an acceptance of the backstop (same thing), we’ll be as we were before 2016 minus a voice in eu policy.


CoolHandFluke Nov 24th 2018 1:25 pm

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 
I dabble with the stock market and the forex market is very similar, its all hype and manipulation.

my guess would be a consolidation period come march 2019 whilst brexit starts.. and i would predict a sharp rise the following year should the statistics come good, and there is no reason why they shouldnt
..the uk is a solid historical financial hub, and other countries will always do business here

me personally if i get into the usa will not be selling up for at least 2 Years until the pound is back to around 1.5 to 1...

lansbury Nov 24th 2018 10:07 pm

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 

Originally Posted by CoolHandFluke (Post 12598611)
I dabble with the stock market and the forex market is very similar,

my guess

Like the rest of us you know f/all then.

vespucci Nov 25th 2018 1:03 am

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 
If anyone did know they wouldn't bother to post here, they'd get busy making their billions!

nearpost1 Nov 25th 2018 1:19 am

Re: The future of exchange rate from pounds sterling to US $...any opinions?
 
Tough crowd in here today. Poster acknowledged they were guessing.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.