Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Foreign Lanauage School for Children - Post Brexit

Foreign Lanauage School for Children - Post Brexit

Old Jul 2nd 2016, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign Lanauage School for Children - Post Brexit

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
What absolute bollocks.
Excessive and gratuitous rudeness like this is a feature of the TIO section of this website. It seems out of place here in the Trailer Park. Am I the only one who thinks this?
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 6:43 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Excessive and gratuitous rudeness like this is a feature of the TIO section of this website. It seems out of place here in the Trailer Park. Am I the only one who thinks this?
dear Gordon,

rudeness would have been to attack the poster personally - which I didn't do.

I also have v good knowledge of the US system of higher "education". I guess Yale, Barnard, Stanford, Berkeley, MIT and harvard are not selective enough? These were all the colleges that my daughter's IB cohort went to.

These kids took AP classes in their spare time. My son just took a couple - he didn't need to study for it..

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Jul 2nd 2016 at 6:54 am.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

dear Gordon,

rudeness would have been to attack the poster personally - which I didn't do.

I also have v good knowledge of the US system of higher "education". I guess Yale, Barnard, Stanford, Berkeley, MIT and harvard are not selective enough? These were all the colleges that my daughter's IB cohort went to.

These kids took AP classes in their spare time. My son just took a couple - he didn't need to study for it..

And despite all that, his family remains so humble
Old Jul 4th 2016, 12:47 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teckelspass
And despite all that, his family remains so humble
That's it? That's all you have to add to the discussion? Nothing about the merits of bilinguilism in children? Ap vs IB? US colleges or EU universities? Nothing to say at all?

You're going to go down a storm here.

I REALLY detest the passive aggressive way of writing unhelpful comments about people then adding a "smilie" at the end. Thank god we are not all like you.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

That's it? That's all you have to add to the discussion? Nothing about the merits of bilinguilism in children? Ap vs IB? US colleges or EU universities? Nothing to say at all?

You're going to go down a storm here.

I REALLY detest the passive aggressive way of writing unhelpful comments about people then adding a "smilie" at the end. Thank god we are not all like you.
Petitefrancaise, my sincere apologies! My intention was honestly only to pull your leg about the bit where you said your son didn't even need to study. I actually agreed with the substance of your comments wholeheartedly. I'm sorry, this is obviously a sensitive topic for you, but please accept that it was not meant to come across the way it obviously did.

Have a great week!
Old Jul 4th 2016, 5:17 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Teckelspass
Petitefrancaise, my sincere apologies! My intention was honestly only to pull your leg about the bit where you said your son didn't even need to study. I actually agreed with the substance of your comments wholeheartedly. I'm sorry, this is obviously a sensitive topic for you, but please accept that it was not meant to come across the way it obviously did.

Have a great week!
I think it would be wise to allow people to get to know you a bit before you jump in making comments about them whilst adding nothing to the discussion.

FWIW - and I obviously wasn't clear enough about the AP/IB thing - If you are taking the IB diploma then (most) of the subjects' curriculum are pretty similar to the AP ones so that it is fairly easy to take the AP subject exams without any extra work being involved. It is not possible to do it the other way around though since the IB is a collection of subjects taken which enable you to receive the IB diploma and they aren't taken as individual subjects.

The GPA is only useful to give you the "rank in class" figure. It is pretty useless outside the school since each school district has their own way at arriving at the GPA figure, weighted or not. It just lets colleges know that you aren't the dunce at the school. Unless you are....
Old Jul 4th 2016, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

I think it would be wise to allow people to get to know you a bit before you jump in making comments about them whilst adding nothing to the discussion.

FWIW - and I obviously wasn't clear enough about the AP/IB thing - If you are taking the IB diploma then (most) of the subjects' curriculum are pretty similar to the AP ones so that it is fairly easy to take the AP subject exams without any extra work being involved. It is not possible to do it the other way around though since the IB is a collection of subjects taken which enable you to receive the IB diploma and they aren't taken as individual subjects.

The GPA is only useful to give you the "rank in class" figure. It is pretty useless outside the school since each school district has their own way at arriving at the GPA figure, weighted or not. It just lets colleges know that you aren't the dunce at the school. Unless you are....
I think you are being a tad harsh, especially given that no harm was meant and I apologized. But I have no desire to quibble further and distract from the discussion. I shall let other fair minded readers judge whether my perhaps miscalculated joke merited such a strong response.

Fyi bilingualism is very important to me as we are raising our child bilingual. Do not disagree about the value of learning multiple languages at all.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 1:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It is so easy to misunderstand the tone or meaning behind the written word sometimes isn't it. As in this case where a quip is taken as a slur.

I think kisses, hugs and make up is the order of the day simply because it is mid week and for me the sun is shining and you are all lovely people.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
It is so easy to misunderstand the tone or meaning behind the written word sometimes isn't it. As in this case where a quip is taken as a slur.

I think kisses, hugs and make up is the order of the day simply because it is mid week and for me the sun is shining and you are all lovely people.
Thanks, Bevs, that is my intention as well. No hard feelings here. Moving on 😄
Old Jul 5th 2016, 2:23 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by BEVS

No hard feelings. I will admit that I'd had a crappy day yesterday and I think I was a bit hard on tecklespass. Not quite as hard as I was on someone else though!! But they deserved it.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 2:34 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

No hard feelings. I will admit that I'd had a crappy day yesterday and I think I was a bit hard on tecklespass. Not quite as hard as I was on someone else though!! But they deserved it.
I was wondering if there was more going on under the surface than was initially evident. Hope today has been better.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 2:48 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I was wondering if there was more going on under the surface than was initially evident. Hope today has been better.
thank you, yes.

although it's still 96 F in Austin. Again. For about the last month. Every sodding day. Going to Colorado in a few weeks and I can't wait to be cold again. If I find snow, I'll roll in it.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 2:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We are cooler being in Winter here in New Zealand but there is little snow on the Ranges due to it so far being one of the mildest winters ever. It's more like early Autumn or even summer on some days so far.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

thank you, yes.

although it's still 96 F in Austin. Again. For about the last month. Every sodding day. Going to Colorado in a few weeks and I can't wait to be cold again. If I find snow, I'll roll in it.
For my first 4th of July 'Bank Holiday Monday' in Ohio, it rained, in a dreary, drizzling fashion. Made me feel right at home
Old Jul 5th 2016, 3:22 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
For my first 4th of July 'Bank Holiday Monday' in Ohio, it rained, in a dreary, drizzling fashion. Made me feel right at home
We had that in central PA by late afternoon and the evening fireworks were engulfed in smoke and low level clouds. Like November, but warm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.