Food search

Old Jan 4th 2014, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Food search

Ok New Year and all that so it's time I stopped doing without some items that have been strangely hard to find here in SoCal.

Therefore if anyone had any information on finding the following items I'd appreciate it.

Black pudding
Duck breast. (Have never seen it in any of the regular supermarkets.)
Prawn crackers, the ones you deep fry yourself.
Smoked fish a la kippers or similar
Breaded scampi

Cheers
H
Old Jan 4th 2014, 6:20 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food search

Duck breast will most likely be obtainable at Asian grocery stores, and prawn crackers should be there too. My grandmother in LA buys her kippers at a kosher deli. The closest thing to breaded scampi is just breaded shrimp from the freezer case in the grocery; we prepare a light butter sauce with lemon, parsley, and garlic to provide the missing flavor.

Black pudding? Not a fan.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:25 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I've found smoked fish at the fish counter of larger supermarkets. Breaded scampi can be there too. Or both can often be found in some of the ethnic delis, as Speedwell says.

It takes looking, though, and sometimes checking stores in different towns.

Black pudding (and haggis) I love, but I've never seen it this side of the Pond.

Last edited by WEBlue; Jan 5th 2014 at 1:00 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:22 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

You can get black pudding from the English Pork Pie Company online. We've had a couple of orders from there, and the bacon, sausage and pies are pretty good. Black pudding has slightly different spices to what I'm used to, and not as good as my butchers back home, but it's ok....any port in a storm and all that...Prices are not for the faint hearted (especially when I've just been back and seen "real world prices") but a couple of other local BE members have coordinated joint orders to share the postage (thank you, you know who you are...my turn next!)
Old Jan 5th 2014, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I've found smoked fish at the fish counter of larger supermarkets. Breaded scampi can be there too. Or both can often be found in some of the ethnic delis, as Speedwell says.

It takes looking, though, and sometimes checking stores in different towns.

Black pudding (and haggis) I love, but I've never seen it this side of the Pond.
Tinned Haggis from Caledonian Kitchen is not bad, there was another place doing a whole haggis in the skin but the prices were ridiculous.
We bought Black Pudding from Tommy Moloney's

Last edited by ottotheboar; Jan 5th 2014 at 4:28 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

We have a German butcher near us where they literally 'butcher' on the premises and prepare all their meats and sausages. They have blood sausages which they would prepare to taste, given a few days notice, which are as close to the black pudding as I recall from my youth. If you have one near you its worth asking.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
You can get black pudding from the English Pork Pie Company online. We've had a couple of orders from there, and the bacon, sausage and pies are pretty good. Black pudding has slightly different spices to what I'm used to, and not as good as my butchers back home, but it's ok....any port in a storm and all that...Prices are not for the faint hearted (especially when I've just been back and seen "real world prices") but a couple of other local BE members have coordinated joint orders to share the postage (thank you, you know who you are...my turn next!)
Yes i can second that recommendation. We used this company for the first time over the holidays, everything was great, although we didnt try the black pudding. The pies are almost $6 each but then again i noticed a steak and ale pie in Tescos last summer was £3.50. I think the sausage rolls are the best value at $3.00. I'm going to put in another order in a month or so and try other items like the bacon and cornish pasties. 2 day fedex refridgerated shipping is just $25 on any order $25 to $99. Thats the cheapest shipping I could find from any company shipping British food. The british bacon or williams pork company wanted $70 shipping on a $90 order
Old Jan 6th 2014, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the smoked fish. You may want to consider investing in some kind of smoker and smoking regular fish yourself.

I spent $165 on an electric smokehouse, its really easy to use and the results are fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20.../dp/B00104WRCY

All i need to do is get the yellow dye for my smoked haddock
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:18 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Yes i can second that recommendation. We used this company for the first time over the holidays, everything was great, although we didnt try the black pudding. The pies are almost $6 each but then again i noticed a steak and ale pie in Tescos last summer was £3.50. I think the sausage rolls are the best value at $3.00. I'm going to put in another order in a month or so and try other items like the bacon and cornish pasties. 2 day fedex refridgerated shipping is just $25 on any order $25 to $99. Thats the cheapest shipping I could find from any company shipping British food. The british bacon or williams pork company wanted $70 shipping on a $90 order
I think it was Lansbury originally mentioned them on here. Credit where it's due and all that

Hmm. That Tesco price makes EPPC look more reasonable, but I bought a steak pie from my local butcher when I was back in N Yorkshire over Christmas and it was only £1.20. Haven't tried the sausage rolls yet...will make sure to get them on the next order.

Be careful on the bacon. It is so lean, a quick flash fry and it's done. I turned my first batch into shoe leather by treating it like American bacon and frying the cr@p out of it!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Regarding the smoked fish. You may want to consider investing in some kind of smoker and smoking regular fish yourself.

k
So can you actually produce something that tastes like a real kipper? I missed mine over Christmas cos the Whitby smokehouse was closed when we went
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm..might have to look at that smoker but I don't know if I can get haddock in California. (Oh for an Arbroath smokie.)

Sausage rolls? Don't think I'd buy them online. They're easy to make and there's some good recipes floating around the forum.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

So can you actually produce something that tastes like a real kipper? I missed mine over Christmas cos the Whitby smokehouse was closed when we went
No sorry I have not managed to see any herring for sale over here. I have some local supermarkets with large fish counters but none of them have ever had herring.

Ive managed to hot smoke haddock, rainbow trout and halibut etc. But i think with kippers you have to cold smoke them which is at temperatures below 80 for a day or so. My electric smokehouse has a minimum setting of 100 so i'm not sure how they would come out.

If i really wanted kippers and could buy them I would purchase this cold smoking attachment for my smokhouse

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20...ds=cold+smoker

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Jan 6th 2014 at 7:47 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have anything in the USA wiki for food.

Time to start one ? Itemised by foodtype ?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:15 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mackenzieltd.com/boned-kippers

You'd have to REALLY fancy a kipper at that price though!

Edit:

http://www.thewhitbycatch.co.uk/kippers-by-post.html
I didn't know they did USA delivery!
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can try here. At one time they did ship orders. Give them a shout by e-mail and see what they have to say.

http://www.butchersfancy.com/index.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.