Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Flying To The US With Diabetes

Flying To The US With Diabetes

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Scots_Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying To The US With Diabetes

My parents are visiting me in the US later this year and my dad has diabetes, they're not experienced travellers so I'm trying find out what he will have to do to take his insulin and syringes through security and onto the plane.

Several diabetes advice websites state that you need a letter from your doctor and also have the prescription documents with you. Also that you need to use the clear plastic bags for the insulin but there isn't any advice on how to carry the syringes and blood testing kit.

They are flying from the UK to Detroit via Amsterdam and returning via the same route..

Any advice from people with experience of doing this will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying To The US With Diabetes

Originally Posted by Scots_Boy
My parents are visiting me in the US later this year and my dad has diabetes, they're not experienced travellers so I'm trying find out what he will have to do to take his insulin and syringes through security and onto the plane.

Several diabetes advice websites state that you need a letter from your doctor and also have the prescription documents with you. Also that you need to use the clear plastic bags for the insulin but there isn't any advice on how to carry the syringes and blood testing kit.

They are flying from the UK to Detroit via Amsterdam and returning via the same route..

Thanks.

My wife has no problem - Hasn't bothered with a note from the Docs.....But, it wouldn't hurt.

I have a Doctor's note for the shitload of Allergy Meds and Epipen, I have to carry with me.

Jim.

Jim.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I just put my kit and meds in my purse and have never had a problem with security on this. I've heard it is wise to bring the entire bottle of meds which shows the name and dosage and doctor who prescribed it instead of the weekly med container. I've done both and as I said not a problem. The syringes are not exposed needles but are covered so they should not be an issue.

Originally Posted by Scots_Boy

Thanks.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Same here, just put all my meds in my carry-on .. I've had more issues with carrying bottled water through security that I've had with my needles .

That said I usually have a note from my doctor stating that I'm diabetic and under their care, but have never been asked to show.