Flooded basement

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 12:42 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flooded basement

There were were, Mrs tonrob and I, undergoing final preparations for a long weekend jaunt to Philadelphia, when Mrs tonrob announces that the suitcase I chose a few days ago for the trip isn't big enough and we need the seriously big one.

So there I go, trotting down to the basement, with such momentum that I am unable to halt my progress before splashing into the 500 gallons of murky water that wasn't there last time I looked.

Bugger.

Turns out most of my street had this happen to them after a few days of record-breaking heavy rain.

So off I trotted to a local equipment rental place to rent a little pump thingy that cleared all the standing water in just a couple of hours. But here's the thing - even though the rain had stopped hours ago and now the sun was finally out, the water was still oozing in at an alarming rate.

We have a sump pump, which had clearly failed to do its duty so the rental pump (which has no on/off float switch thingy) is sat in the sump well and I'm there switching it on every time the water gets to the top. Cue a night of sleeping on the sofa with the alarm of my phone waking me every hour, on the hour, so I can go check the basement and pump as needed to avoid a further flood.

The next day I got my arse down to Home Depot sharpish to view the wide array of sump pumps they didn't have in stock on account of every flucker wanting one right now. Amazingly, and despite the helpful advice of the staff that I wouldn't find one for a month, I actually found a suitable unit, almost out of view on a high shelf that I was able to tease off with my fingertips while stood on tiptoes. This was a find, as I'd been told that everything had been shipped off to stores in Rhode Island (which I'm given to understand is almost completely under water in case you're thinking of going there soon) where they had sold 10,000 units over the last few days.

I am not a plumber, but I also didn't fancy my chances of been able to hire one any time soon, so one quick Youtube instructional video later and I managed to install the thing to replace the old one in under an hour. And it bloody worked!

I shudder to think what would have happened if Mrs tonrob hadn't wanted to take all of those extra shoes. We would have returned from a 4-day break during which temperatures had soared into the balmy 70s, warming up the filthy swimming pool that would have been sitting for all that time in our basement.

Our house is on a flat street, not at the bottom of a hill or anywhere near a stream or river. All it took to flood the basement was rain.

The moral of this story is check your sump pump regularly. I can't believe how catastrophic consequences could be over the failure of a $100 pump.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 12:53 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flooded basement

Originally Posted by tonrob
I am not a plumber, but I also didn't fancy my chances of been able to hire one any time soon, so one quick Youtube instructional video later and I managed to install the thing to replace the old one in under an hour. And it bloody worked!
Well done that man!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 12:55 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Well done that man!
Thank you. To say that I was chuffed with myself would be an understatement. I am now looking for new things to plumb. My goal is a toilet in every room by the summer.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 12:57 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I am now looking for new depths to plumb. My goal is to go to the toilet in every room by the summer.
Fixed it for ya!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:04 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

There were were, Mrs tonrob and I, undergoing final preparations for a long weekend jaunt to Philadelphia, when Mrs tonrob announces that the suitcase I chose a few days ago for the trip isn't big enough and we need the seriously big one.

So there I go, trotting down to the basement, with such momentum that I am unable to halt my progress before splashing into the 500 gallons of murky water that wasn't there last time I looked.

Bugger.

Turns out most of my street had this happen to them after a few days of record-breaking heavy rain.

So off I trotted to a local equipment rental place to rent a little pump thingy that cleared all the standing water in just a couple of hours. But here's the thing - even though the rain had stopped hours ago and now the sun was finally out, the water was still oozing in at an alarming rate.

We have a sump pump, which had clearly failed to do its duty so the rental pump (which has no on/off float switch thingy) is sat in the sump well and I'm there switching it on every time the water gets to the top. Cue a night of sleeping on the sofa with the alarm of my phone waking me every hour, on the hour, so I can go check the basement and pump as needed to avoid a further flood.

The next day I got my arse down to Home Depot sharpish to view the wide array of sump pumps they didn't have in stock on account of every flucker wanting one right now. Amazingly, and despite the helpful advice of the staff that I wouldn't find one for a month, I actually found a suitable unit, almost out of view on a high shelf that I was able to tease off with my fingertips while stood on tiptoes. This was a find, as I'd been told that everything had been shipped off to stores in Rhode Island (which I'm given to understand is almost completely under water in case you're thinking of going there soon) where they had sold 10,000 units over the last few days.

I shudder to think what would have happened if Mrs tonrob hadn't wanted to take all of those extra shoes. We would have returned from a 4-day break during which temperatures had soared into the balmy 70s, warming up the filthy swimming pool that would have been sitting for all that time in our basement.

Our house is on a flat street, not at the bottom of a hill or anywhere near a stream or river. All it took to flood the basement was rain.

The moral of this story is check your sump pump regularly. I can't believe how catastrophic consequences could be over the failure of a $100 pump.
What a domestic hero. Seriously!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:04 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Fixed it for ya!
I think that may be the best fix I've seen here on BE!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:30 pm
Septic Sprout

Fixed it for ya!
I am not a cat.

Edit: I did pee out of the window once, but I was very, very drunk and couldn't find the bedroom door.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a cat.

Edit: I did pee out of the window once, but I was very, very drunk and couldn't find the bedroom door.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 2:13 pm
Arrogant ****

I am not a cat.

Friend of mine once came home (still living with mother) from the pub very, very drunk. She'd just had new carpets put in, including in the bathroom. He thought he was going to be sick.

Next morning the bathroom carpet was found not very neatly rolled up in the bath. The good news was, he hadn't been sick on it.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 2:19 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Friend of mine once came home (still living with mother) from the pub very, very drunk. She'd just had new carpets put in, including in the bathroom. He thought he was going to be sick.

Next morning the bathroom carpet was found not very neatly rolled up in the bath. The good news was, he hadn't been sick on it.
A workmate of my dad's was well-known as a piss artist. The two scenarios that stick in my mind were his wife waking in the early hours to a bit of a kerfuffle in the kitchen. Found him stood on the draining board pissing into the kitchen sink.

The other was her embarking upon a spot of hoovering the next day and finding the vacuum cleaner clogged with the puke he'd tried to suck up off the carpet the night before...
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I'd hate to be in the Northeast right now and one of the people that have government flood insurance. Before the Easter recess, the republicans (Jim Bunning again) held up the new jobs bill which contained an extension of government flood insurance beyond April 1.

Therefore people with government flood insurance may not have flood insurance.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 3rd 2010 at 2:29 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

What a star, my DH FIXED a leaking tap which resulted in 12 hours with no water, as much on the floor as you seem to have had in the basement, and me entering a wet not T shirt but head to foot competition, oh and it still dripped!

I'd buy you a big bag of sprouts for that, and you can NEVER take too many shoe's anywhere, this should serve to teach all men why we need them
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 3:11 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
very, very drunk.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 3:37 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

Our other house that is empty (apart from the stuff in storage in the basement) just had a burst pipe, 600,000 gallons of water filled the basement.
Still trying to get all the stuff out of there, nasty, nasty mold everywhere.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 6:47 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by mikehope
Our other house that is empty (apart from the stuff in storage in the basement) just had a burst pipe, 600,000 gallons of water filled the basement.
Still trying to get all the stuff out of there, nasty, nasty mold everywhere.
Jesus that's nasty. We had a bit of a mould problem about a year after moving in. Sorting that, plus getting some asbestos insulation off some heating pipes at the same time saw off five grand for our little basement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.