Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

FLAMIN MOZZIES DO THEY HAVE THEM BITING IN UK LIKE THIS????

FLAMIN MOZZIES DO THEY HAVE THEM BITING IN UK LIKE THIS????

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:13 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FLAMIN MOZZIES DO THEY HAVE THEM BITING IN UK LIKE THIS????

Originally Posted by Bevm
A pest control person told me that wasps are very territorial and will normally avoid the area of another wasp nest. So some people have artificial wasps nests they put on their houses here to keep the wasps away.

Are they available in the UK? If not, we might take one back.

Not sure if they'd work just put down somewhere in a park.

I remember being in a park somewhere in Ontario and the kids were eating jam and bread. It was as if a major alert was sounded. Wasps from everywhere. We just chucked down the jam and bread and scooted out of there.

I've never experienced anything in the UK to come close to the mosquitoes in most of Canada. Blackfly are awful -- truly deadly if enough bite you -- but I've never been in an area with many of them.

Most houses in Canada have screens on the windows. They're necessary. We don't here because it's not a problem.

Are screens available in the UK? If not, we might bring some of the screening. We could rig something up if necessary.

Bev
You can buy fine screening here, to make your own.....Seriously thinking about doing it myself......The common old house fly and the meat flies are driving me mad Its been far to hot to keep doors and windows closed and
we seem to have hundreds coming in off the farm fields at the mo .
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Scotland really is notorious for its midges - tiny as they are they are a really nasty when in their gazillions - clouds of the wee boogers especially on warm, still, moist evenings out in the country and no matter which way you turn and run they seem to follow you in a mass. Sometimes it makes you want to jump in a loch to escape from them.

A couple of years ago there was like an invasion of crane flies in many parts of the UK - daddy long legs in other words - weird spidery things with very long legs and lying in bed in the dark I felt them touching my face. Apparently the weather conditions or something had been very favourable for them and they hatched or whatever they do to come into being in their millions.

Wasp stings are about the "worst" that can happen to you in the UK especially if you have some kind of allergy. Or a bite from an adder, of course - the only venomous snake in the UK and you have to be VERY unlucky to get bitten by one of them, like handling it or something silly but they are always more frightened of you anyway and do their best to slither away ASAP. An adder bite can make you feel uncomfortable and cause a swelling and medical attention is necessary but very few people have actually died from an adder bite -mostly a very younng child or someone with a medical condition in the first place.

The most dangerous creatures in the UK are human beings....far and away so....without any doubt at all. Just be wary of them!

Last edited by Lothianlad; Jun 23rd 2009 at 10:43 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:59 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So don't bother with an artificial nest, just throw some jam sandwiches down a safe distance away.

Actually, I have used those traps with the sugar water. They go in and can't get out.

Bev
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Thanks guys,do have a bad allergy to mozzies,used to get the desensitization injections.Got 3/4 way through the injections but gave up as it was costing me a fortune.Would have a few injections (higher dose each time) then i would feel my throat start to swell!! Had to sit at gps for a couple of hours each time.Sounds like i will be fine back home,unless something else bits me and i have an allergy to that!!!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
Thanks guys,do have a bad allergy to mozzies,used to get the desensitization injections.Got 3/4 way through the injections but gave up as it was costing me a fortune.Would have a few injections (higher dose each time) then i would feel my throat start to swell!! Had to sit at gps for a couple of hours each time.Sounds like i will be fine back home,unless something else bits me and i have an allergy to that!!!
I've been using this little device for a few years now http://www.lentek.com/bite-shields.html it solves my problem with bug bites. I don't like to put bug repellant on my skin...afterall most of it melts plastic and if I miss a little patch the bugs get me there. I clip it onto my waistband and even clip it onto my swimsuit when I'm sunbathing in the pool.

If you Google you can find it cheaper.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

We brought some extreme mozzie wipes when we travelled round India and later Sri Lanka,and did'nt get bitten once!They are abit stinky though?Also brought some citronella incense which worked well too!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

I shocked an Aussie at work once when I told him we didn't have/need screens on the windows in the UK - he couldn't believe it!