Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Fish & Chip Shop near Raleigh, NC

Fish & Chip Shop near Raleigh, NC

Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Fish & Chip Shop near Raleigh, NC

I cannot vouch for this place, but I do hear it is good. I plan to try it once we're living in NC:

http://www.londonfishandchips-nc.com/index.html
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:07 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish & Chip Shop near Raleigh, NC

Due to overwhelming demand, we've run out of chips!

Get peeling some spuds ya lazy ba$tards.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Due to overwhelming demand, we've run out of chips!

Get peeling some spuds ya lazy ba$tards.
As I already said in the 'Boston' post on here I tasted the best ever fish and chips in my entire life ................ including 45 years in England.. at the Picadilly Pub in Auburn MA last week.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
As I already said in the 'Boston' post on here I tasted the best ever fish and chips in my entire life ................ including 45 years in England.. at the Picadilly Pub in Auburn MA last week.
bugger...that's about 30 miles away west I think...so what's auburn like? can't be any worth than the dump in maine
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
bugger...that's about 30 miles away west I think...so what's auburn like? can't be any worth than the dump in maine
I am there again tomorrow .... Well at the la quinta hotel actually and it's too far to walk, so if you are going call for me at the hotel mate I'll need the lift for one last decent meal
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 11:31 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcrown
I cannot vouch for this place, but I do hear it is good. I plan to try it once we're living in NC:

Are you a member of the Yahoo Brits group in the Triangle? I posted yesterday about this place. I haven't been and was asking if anyone had eaten there yet.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:09 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcrown

OK, you need a big slap for posting this.

I was annoyed enough at a english chippie with english style chips

However, after scrutiny of the menu it seems they also have battered sausages....

Mods, can we ban this teasing twat?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:11 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
OK, you need a big slap for posting this.

I was annoyed enough at a english chippie with english style chips

However, after scrutiny of the menu it seems they also have battered sausages....

Mods, can we ban this teasing twat?
After I've eaten there, I'll report back. I may even drag Patrick there. I don't suppose it'll take much to get him to go...
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:00 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

My local Yahoo Brits group is arranging to go to London Fish & Chips on Saturday evening. If there's any Brits on BE who want to go, please send me a PM and I'll get the Yahoo gp organizer to add you to the numbers. I don't know how big a restaurant it is, but if there's a good turnout, our group could fill the restaurant.

A review so far from a member is highly positive.

We shall see...
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:23 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Default UPDATE Re: Fish & Chip Shop near Raleigh, NC

So I went there for lunch this past Saturday with the other half and met Patrick and his family there.

The first thing I noticed was that the air con was out of order but the front door was open and there was a pleasant breeze coming in the restaurant.

Foodwise, the menu looked good but there were no sausages (because they were all frozen!).

Patrick noticed that they had curry sauce available so he ordered that to go with his cod and chips and mushy peas. I had the haddock and chips with mushy peas. Patrick's gone native and had a soda of some sort. I had tea (I had Twinings English Breakfast but they also had PG Tips). The chippie's still waiting for its liquor license.

Back to the food. After about 15 mins, our food turns up. The portions are satisfyingly British size. i.e. the fish is one single, large fillet in batter. The problem is that the batter isn't crispy and it isn't the kind of batter I like. London Fish and Chips's special recipe produces a smooth batter, kind of like the battered fish you can buy frozen then fry yourself. That's disappointing.

On the other hand, the chips are great. Fat, crispy chips and plenty of them. The mushy peas are homemade too.

Overall, it's 8/10 for the food.

It seems like the septics and others in the area have caught on to this chippie. It got pretty busy whilst my group was there.

At the end of the meal, Patrick went up to the owner (British by the way) and told him that the meal was the best fish and chips he'd had in the US.

Another highlight of the place is that they sell quite a few British sweets and drinks. Belvoir Cordials, Curly Wurlys, Double Deckers, etc.
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review, ncpenguin! We've only driven by in our home searches and viewed London Fish & Chips, haven't stopped in yet. I think we'll give it a go in the next week. Maybe on our anniversary of one week since left England.