Firearms

Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Fabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really nice
Default Firearms

Question for the gun-nuts on here (go on show yourselves).

My wife and I have a large collection of firearms that I know are ALL classed as "antiques" in the US, i.e. not even considered a firearm (most of them imported from the US over the years) which would get shipped in the container with the household goods.

We do however have a few slightly more modern guns that we cherish either for their rarity or for sentimental reasons, that are classed as conventional firearms in the US. If at all possible we would rather like to bring them with us should we make the big leap across the altantic.

Any good source of info about or personal experiences? Contact the NRA perhaps?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:59 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Firearms

try dis;

www.gunbroker.com/User/ImportExport.aspx

i did its from uk 2 canada 2 new york state - wuz bit complicated
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabian23
Question for the gun-nuts on here (go on show yourselves).

My wife and I have a large collection of firearms that I know are ALL classed as "antiques" in the US, i.e. not even considered a firearm (most of them imported from the US over the years) which would get shipped in the container with the household goods.

We do however have a few slightly more modern guns that we cherish either for their rarity or for sentimental reasons, that are classed as conventional firearms in the US. If at all possible we would rather like to bring them with us should we make the big leap across the altantic.

Any good source of info about or personal experiences? Contact the NRA perhaps?
You could try an import broker (freight company) or the BATF's website, they might even have a contact number you can call. Get everything in writing - it's your responsibility to make sure all the paperwork is done correctly and if it's not Customs will have a field day and you'll never see those guns again.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing I would do would be to check the state, county and city laws for the state(s), county(s) and city(s) you may move to and make sure you are legally allowed to own guns there. It would make the rest of the info gathering very simple if you weren't able to own guns where you plan to go.

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; Apr 15th 2011 at 3:38 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that laws with regard to guns vary from state to state.

I am reminded of a recent thread about a guy transporting guns while moving house and the problems he got into:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693771
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Be aware that laws with regard to guns vary from state to state.

I am reminded of a recent thread about a guy transporting guns while moving house and the problems he got into:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693771
There was someone who posted on here a couple of years ago...I think it was his BIL who was arrested at the airport in NYC for carrying a firearm in his checked luggage and not having a NYC permit. He was visiting NYC from another state. If I remember correctly he was looking at a few years in the big house.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Fabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really niceFabian23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There was someone who posted on here a couple of years ago...I think it was his BIL who was arrested at the airport in NYC for carrying a firearm in his checked luggage and not having a NYC permit. He was visiting NYC from another state. If I remember correctly he was looking at a few years in the big house.
Looks like the easiest, and safest, method is to export them ahead of time to a dealer in the US who can store them for me. I shall look into it further.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You could try an import broker (freight company) or the BATF's website, they might even have a contact number you can call. Get everything in writing - it's your responsibility to make sure all the paperwork is done correctly and if it's not Customs will have a field day and you'll never see those guns again.
IIRC an FFL (Federal Firearms License holder) will have to do the importation, but first will need to get a Form 6 approved from the BATFE. Some info here.

And Fabian, absolutely, positively GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. Good luck.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bill_S
IIRC an FFL (Federal Firearms License holder) will have to do the importation, but first will need to get a Form 6 approved from the BATFE. Some info here.

And Fabian, absolutely, positively GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. Good luck.
Everything in writing in what way?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Everything in writing in what way?
If you ask the BATF for advice, get it via email/letter, in case you need to prove anything later on.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It will be the brokers job to deal with Customs, that would be my initial concern; although the FFL holder might have someone (or a company) they use, particularly if they regularly import. But how would you find an FFL who regularly imports firearms?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
It will be the brokers job to deal with Customs, that would be my initial concern; although the FFL holder might have someone (or a company) they use, particularly if they regularly import. But how would you find an FFL who regularly imports firearms?
AIM and SOG do it as businesses, but I don't know if they would do a single import for one customer. I think this is going to be a lot of trouble for the OP. Maybe BATFE "import points" are going to come into play as well.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

AIM and SOG do it as businesses, but I don't know if they would do a single import for one customer. I think this is going to be a lot of trouble for the OP. Maybe BATFE "import points" are going to come into play as well.
Looks like it is time to call in some favours froom my contacts stateside....
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:52 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Looks like it is time to call in some favours froom my contacts stateside....
Most important is which State it is you will be in. I doubt you have any handguns as they were banned in the UK a long time ago, so, long guns and shot guns shouldn't present any problems.
When the handgun seizing was going on, I bought a number of them from friends who didn't want them destroyed. One friend took a S&W Model 27 to his local Post Office and mailed it to me. 5 days later it was in my mail box outside my house! That of course was before the silly Brady Bill messed up a lot of places, but Georgia never adapted that Bill.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
That of course was before the silly Brady Bill messed up a lot of places,.
There was nothing silly about the Brady Bill. In fact, sensible would be a better description.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.