Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

few last questions before filing AOS

few last questions before filing AOS

Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

watersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nice
Question few last questions before filing AOS

Hello,

i just had one or two more questions before my husband and i send off our AOS application.

On I-765 #15 am i correct in stating that my current immigration status is "student" if i am holding a valid F-1 visa or will i be "student adjusting status"?

Also on I-765 I am a little confused about what I am applying for. I am currently using an EAD from my one year OPT. I don't know if i am applying for a renewal (which was my immediate assumption based on the fact that I already have an EAD which is going to expire at the end of this month) because the instructions say that the card will be issued under the same category...I am no longer applying as an F-1 which is why i am in a quandary.

On I-131 i am looking at #3 Class of Admission...is this currently F-1 or should I be looking elsewhere for that information? On the same form, can I apply for advanced parole if it is to celebrate our marriage in the UK? We haven't got fixed dates or anything right now.

Thanks so much for any help.
I hope to hear back soon.

Emma
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: few last questions before filing AOS

Originally Posted by watersej
On I-765 #15 am i correct in stating that my current immigration status is "student" if i am holding a valid F-1 visa or will i be "student adjusting status"?
Personally, I would put "adjusting status to permanent resident" so it's clear on what basis you are applying for the EAD.

On the same form, can I apply for advanced parole if it is to celebrate our marriage in the UK? We haven't got fixed dates or anything right now.
You can apply for AP for whatever reason you wish, including a trip to the UK.

Sorry I couldn't help with the other questions.

Rene
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

watersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nicewatersej is just really nice

Thanks Rene!

If anyone else has advise for the other questions I would be very grateful.

Emma
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Also on I-765 I am a little confused about what I am applying for. I am currently using an EAD from my one year OPT.
You are applying for *this* EAD based on your adjustment application, so it's not a renewal. I believe (c)(9) is the correct category.

Ian
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Personally, I would put "adjusting status to permanent resident" so it's clear on what basis you are applying for the EAD.

You can apply for AP for whatever reason you wish, including a trip to the UK.

Sorry I couldn't help with the other questions.

Rene
Hello,

i just had one or two more questions before my husband and i send off our AOS application.

Also on I-765 I am a little confused about what I am applying for. I am currently using an EAD from my one year OPT. I don't know if i am applying for a renewal (which was my immediate assumption based on the fact that I already have an EAD which is going to expire at the end of this month) because the instructions say that the card will be issued under the same category...I am no longer applying as an F-1 which is why i am in a quandary.

On I-131 i am looking at #3 Class of Admission...is this currently F-1 or should I be looking elsewhere for that information? On the same form, can I apply for advanced parole if it is to celebrate our marriage in the UK? We haven't got fixed dates or anything right now.

Emma
Hello all,

sorry for being a pain in the A$$ but i wondered if anyone else has an idea as to how i should respond to the other questions above? re. I765 which category am i applying for is it just 'permission to accept employment' since i am not renewing my OPT EAD (this is what i am leaning towards after reading things over a bunch of times). and on I131 do i really put F-1 as class of admission??

thanks in advance for the help!!

Emma
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

re. I765 which category am i applying for is it just 'permission to accept employment' since i am not renewing my OPT EAD (this is what i am leaning towards after reading things over a bunch of times).
This sounds right to me. You'll still include a copy of your current EAD anyway, so USCIS can put 2 and 2 together and realize this is an I-765 based on your current AOS, not a renewal of your OPT EAD.

and on I131 do i really put F-1 as class of admission??
In my opinion, if that was your class of admission the last time you entered the USA, then that seems to be the correct answer.

Rene
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: few last questions before filing AOS

AWESOME! thanks so much! Right that's it, all ready to be packed and shipped. I will post updates when all this starts to go through.

Thanks a million to everyone for the help.

Emma & Matt
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Emma
Hi:

From long practice, I know which questions are important and which are "no harm, no foul" type. [For example, there is a big dispute what is the "visa number" on a non-immigrant visa -- but since you put in a photo-copy of it in any case, it really doesn't matter. BTW, the old "Bouroughs" visas actually had something captioned "Visa No."]

Your questions are of that type.

First question -- it is interesting to note that the on-line filing procedure allows you only to put in the entry visa status or "without inspection." So if you put in "F-1 student" it is just fine.

You are applying for a "(c)(9)" based upon your adjustment application. You will note in another question that you had a prior EAD [which is your OPT]. In this case, I think that you have a choice of putting in "new" or "renewal" -- I don't think it matters.

On the I-131 application for advance parole -- just put in an arbitrary date if you don't have definite plans -- future intent means you have the right to change your mind! Again, no harm, no foul. "marriage reception" is a fine reason -- my older daughter has a college classmate who just got married and is having FOUR post-wedding receptions in different parts of the country!

Good luck.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much.

Emma