Reload this Page >

Feeling lonely in Los Angeles

Feeling lonely in Los Angeles

Old Jun 1st 2010, 6:30 am
Just Joined

ymclauch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feeling lonely in Los Angeles

Hi all -

We have been in Los Angeles for 7 weeks now. My husband requested a job transfer in November last year and we flew out on April 12th this year. (We being me, my husband and four year old son). We were initially placed in a hotel - one bedroom with small kitchen - which was a nightmare for four weeks before the corporate apartment became availiable. We are going to settle in Culver City which is where my husband works - have signed a lease on a rental, move in hopefully July 1st.

Anyway I know it is early days, but I do feel a bit lonely. I am looking at pre-school etc for my son. He is used to being in nursery four days a week, and I am used to working full time. I am enjoying the time with him (which is essential to settle him) but wondering how best to meet people? Have enrolled him in a gym class and looking at preschools for August.

Anyone close by with kids, or got any tips to meet people? ?

Thanks!

Yvonne
Old Jun 1st 2010, 6:04 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling lonely in Los Angeles

Originally Posted by ymclauch
Hi all -

We have been in Los Angeles for 7 weeks now. My husband requested a job transfer in November last year and we flew out on April 12th this year. (We being me, my husband and four year old son). We were initially placed in a hotel - one bedroom with small kitchen - which was a nightmare for four weeks before the corporate apartment became availiable. We are going to settle in Culver City which is where my husband works - have signed a lease on a rental, move in hopefully July 1st.

Anyway I know it is early days, but I do feel a bit lonely. I am looking at pre-school etc for my son. He is used to being in nursery four days a week, and I am used to working full time. I am enjoying the time with him (which is essential to settle him) but wondering how best to meet people? Have enrolled him in a gym class and looking at preschools for August.

Thanks!

Yvonne
Hi Yvonne

We have been in LA for 2 and a half years now, our daughter was 5 when we moved here and I also went from working full time to being at home with her. I'm in Woodland Hills which isn't too far from Culver City.

I find it really hard to make friends in LA, we never see any of our neighbors, and I haven't managed to make any friends through my daughters school. The work environment is very different here, and not much socializing go's on.

After a nightmare experience at 1 school, she is now in a school that she loves, and I am back to working full time. I have made a few friends, a couple through work and a couple through here. I have also had lots of support from this site, knowing other people are going through the same thing makes you feel better.

Sounds like you are taking some good steps to try and meet people. I came across a few things after I had gone back to work and it was too late. Look at Go City Kids LA, they have book reading for kids and similar things at local stores which seem to be frequented by the usual crowds, you might meet some people at things like that.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all
Default Re: Feeling lonely in Los Angeles

Originally Posted by ymclauch
Hi all -

Thanks!

Yvonne
Go on down to The King's Head in Santa Monica (not too far from you) there's all Brits there - should help.