Extreme Couponing

Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extreme Couponing

My new favourite trash TV program

Does anyone actually manage to do this to anywhere near the extent of the people shown on this program? I can see that it's do-able to make large savings sometimes for items like laundry detergent and tinned goods but I have never once seen a coupon for fruit and veg or fresh meat. I am signed up to most stores mailing lists for coupons, go through the papers each week but that doesn't yield much more than 50 cents off a product here or there.

I really need to find a hobby
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extreme Couponing

Watched the extreme couponing programme on tv last week, it seems to me that whilst they do save money and get all the best deals storing that amount of product is strange. At least the one kid didn't have to worry about there being monsters under his bed his mother was using the space for her toilet paper collection.
It occurred to me after a while that I was watching it with the same sort of weird fascination that makes me watch the hoarding programmes and at the end of the day isn't it the same thing? they just hoard food instead of 'stuff'?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

It is crazy how much they stockpile... I try and stock up when things are on sale but I forget that I've bought them so just end up buying more. Maybe I need to arrange my cupboards a bit more
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:04 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I watch it as well. It is amazing how much they save. Some of the stuff must expire before they use it though. I do try to use coupons when I can. I do feel like they buy stuff they will never use just because they have a coupon for it as well. I agree it does seem to be a form of hoarding. It does fascinate me though!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

I have to admit that this is becoming one of my guilty pleasures!!! But i did notice that several of the "couponers" were donating stuff to local charities and foodbanks, which I think is a really awesome idea.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:11 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I have been watching too - this and 'Pregnant in Heels' - great to watch when doing the ironing LOL! I managed to save $16.25 at H.E.B. last week - I was so proud of myself
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:15 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Get a 31 cent ice cream tonight

http://www.baskinrobbins.com/spotlig...coopNight.aspx
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Some daily bargains here.......

http://slickdeals.net/
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has become quite addicted to that show. I'm a tight bastard myself so saving money is fine with me!

She managed to do a shop over the weekend where she saved about 71%, which wasn't bad. Local supermarket had a good sale on though.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:31 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Some of the stuff must expire before they use it though.
That is exactly what I thought! I buy two of something and the second one ends up expiring before I use it!

I've only seen this late at night with the sound off, so I always wonder how on earth do these people get hold of so many coupons? And as you can only apply one coupon to each item, how do they end up getting stuff free?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a couple of episodes.

The people fall into two categories:

1) down on their luck
2) psychological problem

It was nice to see at least one guy who seemed to do it to donate to food banks, though it didn't make it clear if he only did that for the cameras or if he did that all the time.

I did read a blog claiming some of the techniques used (in the pilot episode in particular) were fraudulent. Often taking advantage of a difference between what the coupon says and what is scans as. e.g. using it for the wrong size, singles and mutlipacks, same manufacturer but wrong brand.

Lots of stores are now tightening the rules, reprogramming POS scanners, no longer doubling up coupons etc etc.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Saw a couple of episodes.

The people fall into two categories:

1) down on their luck
2) psychological problem

It was nice to see at least one guy who seemed to do it to donate to food banks, though it didn't make it clear if he only did that for the cameras or if he did that all the time.

I did read a blog claiming some of the techniques used (in the pilot episode in particular) were fraudulent. Often taking advantage of a difference between what the coupon says and what is scans as. e.g. using it for the wrong size, singles and mutlipacks, same manufacturer but wrong brand.

Lots of stores are now tightening the rules, reprogramming POS scanners, no longer doubling up coupons etc etc.
A lot of the shops we go to seem to be way stricter than those on the show, I doubt we'd ever be able to get away with a 90% discount.

Still good savings to be had if you get lucky with sales et cetera.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I've only seen this late at night with the sound off, so I always wonder how on earth do these people get hold of so many coupons? And as you can only apply one coupon to each item, how do they end up getting stuff free?
They either subscribe to a clipping service or get hold of lots of newspapers. There are apparently websites which clue you in to the big offers.

Getting stuff for free seems to work like this (not tried it myself).

Coupon for 50c off say a $2 item, the store offers to double it $1 off.
At the same time the store is doing a promotion, if you buy 10 for $10 which works out at $1 each instead of the previous $2 price.
Combine those together and it's apparently free.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:09 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
They either subscribe to a clipping service or get hold of lots of newspapers. There are apparently websites which clue you in to the big offers.

Getting stuff for free seems to work like this (not tried it myself).

Coupon for 50c off say a $2 item, the store offers to double it $1 off.
At the same time the store is doing a promotion, if you buy 10 for $10 which works out at $1 each instead of the previous $2 price.
Combine those together and it's apparently free.
That's exactly how it's done. Seems like an awful lot of hassle though, I hope my wife just sticks to the Sunday papers and manufacturer's coupons off the net or I might go barmy
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
A lot of the shops we go to seem to be way stricter than those on the show, I doubt we'd ever be able to get away with a 90% discount.

Still good savings to be had if you get lucky with sales et cetera.
Yeah, there was one episode where one "lady" was quite blatant about choosing young male cashiers. Unsaid, so she can flash a smile and get him to accept bad coupons.

As you can see I am now fascinated by this show thanks to my wife!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.