Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Ex's and social etiquette

Wikiposts

Ex's and social etiquette

Old Mar 28th 2016, 12:57 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex's and social etiquette

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The OP does not say that the in-laws were uncomfortable, but implies that his (the OP's wife) is the one that was uncomfortable.
You've made just as many assumptions.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leslie
Just wanted to say Happy Easter Monday.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I took what Pete H said at face value, you are assuming that he left out material facts.

Pete H seemed very clear, but I suppose could have missed critical information out. What he said was ".... When we got there my wife went right to him and told him 'You are creating a problem' ....".

In my mind the key wording is "When we got there my wife went right to him", apparently meaning she arrived, saw him, made a bee-line for him, and told him to leave, not stopping to talk to anyone, even her parents.

He didn't say " .....When we got there my in-laws were having problems with my wife's ex who had invited himself in, and my MIL asked my wife to deal with him. So my wife went right to him and told him "You are creating a problem' .... ". Maybe that's what he meant, but it certainly isn't what he said.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 28th 2016 at 2:05 am.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP seemed very clear, but I suppose could have missed critical information out. What he said was ".... When we got there my wife went right to him and told him 'You are creating a problem' ....".

In my mind the key wording is that his wife "When we got there my wife went right to him", apparently meaning she arrived, saw him, and made a bee-line for him, and told him to leave, not stopping to talk to anyone, even her parents.

He didn't say " .....When we got there my in-laws were having problems with my wife's ex who had invited himself in, and my MIL asked my wife to deal with him. So my wife went right to him and told him "You are creating a problem' .... ". Maybe that's what he meant, but it certainly isn't what he said.
And if he had I'm fairly sure everyone would have said 'good for her', how dare he' etc etc.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
And if he had I'm fairly sure everyone would have said 'good for her', how dare he' etc etc.
I am fairly sure you are correct.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:31 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I would have taken him outside to the back yard, told him where the egg with the five bucks inside was hidden and then suggested he go buy himself a beer.

Last edited by dc koop; Mar 28th 2016 at 1:36 am.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:53 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

So the ex dropped his daughter off at his ex-MIL's for Easter. How exactly was he creating a problem? The opinion of the MIL and FIL are required to make a judgement on this. I see no problem in an ex saying hello on Easter if they are there to drop off a child anyway, but if he had come in and was being objectionable in the opinion of the MIL and FIL then your wife was correct. But I got nothing in that line from your original post. You got there after the ex and he might just have been chatting to his daughter's grandparents......which seems like a good thing. In the end there's probably blame all round here. The ex stayed longer than needed to annoy your wife and your wife took the bait and was rude. The loser is the daughter seeing her parents argue.

Last edited by nun; Mar 28th 2016 at 2:00 am.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:43 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just wanted to say Happy Easter Monday.
Morning, gorgeous. Just came back in here to say that.
I'll turn it back over to the smug self-righteous brigade.

Last edited by Leslie; Mar 28th 2016 at 2:46 am.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning gorgeous. Just came back in here to say that.
I'll turn it back over to the smug self-righteous brigade.
Did go and see the new baby on Saturday, very noisy.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:47 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Boiler

Did go and see the new baby on Saturday, very noisy.
You probably scared him.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:07 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Social etiquette would demand that the mil and/or fil be the one to tell the ex that the guest list was full and that there was no room at the table for him to join them.

Being that your wife intervened in place of her mom or dad, beggars the question as to why she felt it was her place to be the bouncer. Apparently, there is no love lost between the ex-husband and ex-wife and the ex-wife's family and the reasons why are unknown to those of us here.

Must be difficult to be the new husband who has been thrown into a family fraught with issues, i.e. the daughter choosing to leave her mother's home and new stepfather to live with her father and his girlfriend. That alone will make for ill feelings on the part of the mother and maternal grandparents.

Why are you questioning whether your wife's behavior was socially acceptable? Were her parents and perhaps her daughter upset with her intervention?

As a former divorced mother of two, I was fortunate that the ex and I got on fine with one another for the most part and any issues were dealt with outside the hearing of the kids. In fact, there were many times that he and my then fiancée spend time sitting around the table having coffee on a Saturday morning when he came to get the girls.

Hope that you all enjoyed the rest of Easter Sunday together.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Imo, it's always the responsibility of the host to "evict" someone from a social gathering at their house, unless they specifically delegate the task to someone else. In this case, there's a really good reason why such delegation to the OP's wife would have been a poor idea anyway: why have the daughter's parents be seen in such an ugly situation in front of her? Much better to have the message come from the in-laws (if at all; it's not clear from the OP whether the in laws objected to his presence anyway).
Old Mar 28th 2016, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I just glanced through this thread. Most of the responses I find bizarre, and I doubt that any of you have given much thought to the dynamic in divorced families.

I have three step-children from my wife's previous marriage. I think it unlikely we'd have a problem, these days, but if we were in a similar situation, it would undoubtedly be my wife, not me or my mother-in-law, that had a quiet word with her ex-husband. She knows him much better than anyone else.

Pete, I don't have much advice, especially since we are the custodial parents, except, especially now this has happened, I recommend you only arrange handovers at neutral venues, or there and at home.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Owen778
I just glanced through this thread. Most of the responses I find bizarre, and I doubt that any of you have given much thought to the dynamic in divorced families. ....
On the contrary, I gave a lot of thought, based on my observations of divorced families and the report of Pete H. My observational experience is that many (not all) divorced families are rather good at creating tension and not very good at diffusing it, and while, in this case, both parties contributed to the incident, staging a 1:1 confrontation in front of the family and children was probably not the best idea.
.... I have three step-children from my wife's previous marriage. I think it unlikely we'd have a problem, these days, but if we were in a similar situation, it would undoubtedly be my wife, not me or my mother-in-law, that had a quiet word with her ex-husband. .....
Except Pete H's wife didn't "have a quiet word", she told him he was "creating a problem", thereby enflaming the situation, and unsurprisingly causing her ex to resort to obscenities.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 28th 2016 at 7:07 am.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

On the contrary, I gave a lot of thought, based on my observations of divorced families and tbe report of Pete H. My observational experience is that many (not all) divorced families are rather good at creating tension and not very good at diffusing it, and while, in this case, both parties contributed to the incident, staging a 1:1 confrontation in front of the family and children was probably not the best idea.
Yes, if she didn't ask him to talk somewhere away from the daughter, that's a problem, I agree.

But then your objection was to Pete's wife being the one who spoke to him. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.