expat shield

Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

lambo1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default expat shield

Has anyone had any problems streaming ITVplayer or BBCplayer using expat shield lately?
Mine is really slow.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expat shield

All 'free' options for VPNs go through cycles of being crap. You get what you pay for.

I use ibVPN and have hardly ever had any issues whatsoever.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

thebrit123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, i have been noticing the very slow speeds recently. Have been using them for about a year and it has now become useless due to the buffering. Currently looking for a paid VPN to use instead of expat shield.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

ibVPN is $20 for 6 months. They have 4 or 5 UK servers to choose from (or just switch to another if you are getting buffering on one in particular).
Old Oct 17th 2012, 8:21 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I started using Tunnelbear. It's free up to 500 mb/mth which isn't even a whole TV episode but I have found that you can switch it off after you've started the programme and it still keeps running (ssshhhhh). Have to remember to turn it off though which I didn't so I'm out for the month. Or it's $4.99/mth or $49.99 for a year. I've used it for a month and it seems to work well so I'll probably start paying for it now.

I looked at the ibVPN website and it seems a bit more convoluted for myself as I don't even really know what a VPN is. I just want to watch the telly in English.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 8:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I started using Tunnelbear. It's free up to 500 mb/mth which isn't even a whole TV episode but I have found that you can switch it off after you've started the programme and it still keeps running (ssshhhhh). Have to remember to turn it off though which I didn't so I'm out for the month. Or it's $4.99/mth or $49.99 for a year. I've used it for a month and it seems to work well so I'll probably start paying for it now.

I looked at the ibVPN website and it seems a bit more convoluted for myself as I don't even really know what a VPN is. I just want to watch the telly in English.
They still doing the thing where you tweet about them and you get double the monthly?

And what you're using is a VPN.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 8:57 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They still doing the thing where you tweet about them and you get double the monthly?

And what you're using is a VPN.
Don't know if they're still doing the promo.

I got a bit concerned about all the options on ibVPN and then the whole How to Configure......
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:45 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Ours was pretty slow while watching the last Doctor Who but I just assumed it was our crap internet service's download speed.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Don't know if they're still doing the promo.

I got a bit concerned about all the options on ibVPN and then the whole How to Configure......
They have full instructions including screenshots of what to click and when ....

I don't know what you mean about options. You just need the UK+IE server package.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 4:33 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Just uninstalled expat shield and then reinstalled it and everything seems to be back up to speed.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

I've been using StrongVPN for about 2 years now. But I've just signed up to UnoTelly/UnoDNS which offers a lot better performance and doesn't force all my web traffic via the UK.
Also I can easily configure the new DNS addresses on my other devices such as the PS3 or the Router even.
It even lets you select which country your Netflix is based in. I have found that Brazil seems to have more newer titles such as The Hunger Games, Despicable Me & Quantum of Solace for instance.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I'm experiencing problems but am not sure if its expat shield or BBCiplayer..

I can get onto the BBCiplayer TV section but when I select a programme to watch there is a totally blank dark area where the programme should appear -all the usual text around it is there but nothing in the middle. Is anyone else "seeing" this??

I have been experiencing slow buffering etc so have been using the lower bandwidth option for BBCiplayer which has been working but now there is nothing for the past couple of days..
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Security Kiss. There is a free as well as paid option. They have VPN servers in UK,US & France.