Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

are exchange gains taxable?

are exchange gains taxable?

Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default are exchange gains taxable?

I can´t imagine they aren´t, but want to be sure they are. The question is if a UK tax resident is taxable on gains on exchange that he made arising from buying property abroad at one rate and selling it at another rate ( ie gaining on the devaluation of Sterling
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are exchange gains taxable?

If you are UK resident for tax purposes then as far as I understand it you would only be taxed on the gain between the day you sold the property and recieved the funds and the day that you transfered the money back to the UK. At least that was the case when we sold our Canadian house, although that was our primary residence.

If you are buying and selling investement properties then exchange rate variations will probaly be factored into any capital gains tax because the gain will be based upon the value of the property in sterling on the dates of each transaction. From that perspective now is not a good time to sell because sterling is so weak.

Last edited by Posidrive; Jul 4th 2011 at 8:15 am.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
If you are UK resident for tax purposes then as far as I understand it you would only be taxed on the gain between the day you sold the property and recieved the funds and the day that you transfered the money back to the UK. At least that was the case when we sold our Canadian house, although that was our primary residence.

If you are buying and selling investement properties then exchange rate variations will probaly be factored into any capital gains tax because the gain will be based upon the value of the property in sterling on the dates of each transaction. From that perspective now is not a good time to sell because sterling is so weak.
Thanks for the help; your reply sounds logical. The fact though that Sterling is weak, makes it a very good time to sell a foreign property. The one I´m thinking about was bought in NZ when it was NZ$2.60 and now it´s NZ$1.93, so there´s a +/- 35% profit before even taking into account the increase in the value of the house. ( What a pity I didn´t also buy a place !!!)
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
Thanks for the help; your reply sounds logical. The fact though that Sterling is weak, makes it a very good time to sell a foreign property. The one I´m thinking about was bought in NZ when it was NZ$2.60 and now it´s NZ$1.93, so there´s a +/- 35% profit before even taking into account the increase in the value of the house. ( What a pity I didn´t also buy a place !!!)

You are probably right. My comment that now is not a good time to sell is purely from the perspective of give the tax man as little as possible. Depending upon your personal circumstances you could loose over a quarter of this gain to the tax man
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Posidrive
You are probably right. My comment that now is not a good time to sell is purely from the perspective of give the tax man as little as possible. Depending upon your personal circumstances you could loose over a quarter of this gain to the tax man
That´s why I was concerned about the tax side. I can take measures to avoid these gains if necessary, as I´ve never believed in the principle of being taxed on the fruits of taking risks, as they never give you any back if you lose!.