Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Everyone ok after last nights/todays storms?

Everyone ok after last nights/todays storms?

Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Everyone ok after last nights/todays storms?

Just watching the weather channel and seeing a lot of flooding and threat of tornadoes in various places.

It's been raining for over 24 hours here with severe thunderstorms overnight. Thankfully we are not in an area where we are at risk of flooding.

Hope you are all ok and will be as the storm tracks East.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Everyone ok after last nights/todays storms?

Gets my way tomorrow.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

As a regular day to day observer of the local Edinburgh/SE Scotland weather conditions, and maintaining a weather station containing all the basic but Meterological Office standard equipment, I am quite envious of you people in America who experience far more severe, and therefore more spectacular and interesting, climatic conditions than we do here in the UK, where, in comparison, the weather is much more "tame" and "moderate" and as a result more "boring" to someone like myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to record all the sorts of weather conditions we see over the course of the year here in my local area, and in the UK as a whole, but only rarely is it what we would call "extreme" - as it was last December, for example. But even that would be considered wimpish in many parts of North America. Even our rain is mostly lightish and drizzly - except in the occasional thunderstorm, which by all accounts would be somewhat of a damp squib by American standards.

Only rarely is the British climate dramatic enough as to cause major disruption, as it is in many other countries, including much of the nearby Continent. Most of the times is is pretty benign and harmless - but even so its "nuisance value" is often extremely apparent. Our weather may not be dangerous or life threatening 99% of the time, with rain, floods, snowfalls, ice storms, gales and so on all much less exciting than in many other lands but at least it's extremely variable and even unpredictable sometimes and it's not unknown to have all kinds of weather conditions happening on the same day.

At least we can claim to have one of the most annoying and irritating and frustrating climates in the entire world, even if it is quite tame and limp wristed in comparison with that of other countries. Even our tornadoes are very weak affairs and most pass almost unnoticed by most people, who are astonished when told the fact that the UK has the largest number of tornadoes over the course of a year than any other country in the world. Occasionally one blows off roofs and rips down chimneys, sends TV aerials whirling up into the heavens and topples down ancient oaks and sycamores, but those only happen once every Preston guild, as they say in Lancashire, I believe.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:58 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
Gets my way tomorrow.
Bragging again?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of rumbling thunder and lightening in Atlanta with some localised flooding besides that not too bad
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

We. have been in a moderate drought here in Central Va, even with the soaking on Sunday we are still a rain deficit this year. We are due a couple more inches this evening which should bring us to normal
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:04 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

dont know about storms - but its been peeing down here for the last 4 days. when does spring arrive? That said - its better than more damn snow - we are well fed up with that now lol.