Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Eurovision Song Contest 2010

Eurovision Song Contest 2010

Old May 30th 2010, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

DMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the rough
Default Eurovision Song Contest 2010

I must have blinked when they advertised it, as I didn't even know it was on (or perhaps they deliberately DIDN'T advertise as they knew the UK song was...pants).

For anyone who's interested there's a clip of the UK entry in this blog... http://eurovisionbloguk.spaces.live.com/

UK came last!
Old May 30th 2010, 3:27 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2010

Originally Posted by DMDA
I must have blinked when they advertised it, as I didn't even know it was on (or perhaps they deliberately DIDN'T advertise as they knew the UK song was...pants).

For anyone who's interested there's a clip of the UK entry in this blog... http://eurovisionbloguk.spaces.live.com/

UK came last!
They still have the Eurovision? I stopped watching after Bucks Fizz!!!
Old May 30th 2010, 10:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Youtube, Eurovision had their own channel.

I only bothered to listen to the top 5 entries because the bookies had Azerbaijan to win it and they didn't even get top 5, pretty good song too.

Spoiler:

Germany won...weren't to bad, but no really that great...

UK must have tried not to win it this year to save money on hosting it, can't think of any other reason they would have gone with such a shit song, came last, how bad was that
Old May 30th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gobsmacked to see that the load of crap known as the Eurovision "Song" "Contest" is even known to you guys over there.....for some years now it has been receiving less and less publicity and media coverage even here in the UK (apart from it being broadcast in its entirety on BBC1-TV on the night, but even on that the numbers tuning in to it have been steadily declining over recent years).

The quality and standard of the songs has also declined, since the days when big names such as Cliff Richard, Lulu, Sandie Shaw, Bucks Fizz performed as the UK entry, and in those days the UK actually came first on a number of occasions, and the songs they sang are still remembered today by those who were around at the time and still being played from time to time...."Congratulations" "Puppet on a String" "Making Your Mind Up" etc.

Over the last few years more and more countries have joined in the "songfest", many of them former Communist bloc countries, and "broken away" satellites of other political entities such as the former Yugoslavia and the Baltic states and Russia and such like. Adding to the "funfest" places like Malta, Cyprus and even Israel (not even in Europe!) became part of the whole thingumybobs. Gradually the whole show became a wee bit ridiculous to say the least.

It was natural that politics become more and more obvious in the entire voting system and "neighbours" began to vote for "neighbours" en bloc so the speak...the Balkan states voted for each other, as did the former Russian satellites and other former Communist countries - Ukraine for Russia and Belarus for Estonia, Sweden for Norway ete etc. Nothing on this earth would ever persuade France to vote for the UK, the French making sure that not a word of English passed the lips of the representative from France as s/he gave the results of the French voting public, whereas every single other nation taking part used the English language throughout.....our own language English being now the undisputed "lingua franca" of the entire world, and praise be for that seeing as most Brits are very determined, very expert monoglots.

The fate of the UK was sealed in 2003 following the British alliance with the Americans in the invasion of Iraq. From that time onwards it was routine for the UK to receive a whacking great "nul points" from the vast majority of Continental countries in each and every ESC that followed, no matter how "fantastic" or how "marvellous" or "well performed" each British entry was. Politics decreed that, in Continental Europe generally, the UK was declared to be a sort of "pariah", "persona non grata" when voting time came round, irrespective of performance. This used to piss off big them the BBC presenter Terry Wogan more and more each year so he ended up treating the whole affair as some kind of joke. He has since retired from the "show" and Graham Norton has now taken his place.

Most Brits couldn't give a toss about it all, and the UK performers are now always complete "unknowns", probably taken off some estate in Dewsbury or West Bromwich or some such place, as none of the well known professionals from the UK would touch the ESC with a thousand metre long bargepole as the risks involved for them would be incalculable. Hence the crap song sung by a somewhat crap performer this year, a young lad whose name I've forgotten, did so badly and came last with a crappy "dix points" on the scoreboard. Of course it wasn't all the lad's fault - yet again the pan European Brit Bashing played a big part as ever.

The German song won - you can bet your boots this time next week very few people across Europe will remember the name of either the song or the singer, and as sure as hell nobody in the UK will. At the same time all the clubs and bars across Europe will be playing musical numbers composed and performed by Brits, British numbers will be played on most of the European media (as this is a European issue I will not include American music or American singers in this).

Very few, if any, UK bars, clubs or media stations will be playing any Continental music/songs etc. It's certain that German singer and her song will not, that's for sure.

It's all very silly really.....a complete waste of time and certainly a waste of precious money, especially for the UK where many people think we should withdraw from the whole circus completely and let the Continentals carry on voting for their bosom buddies no matter what the "songs" are like, most of which are dire anyway.....at least to most British ears.

But at least they ALL (apart from our closest neighbours - the French) communicate with everybody involved almost entirely in English. That really is the ONLY redeeming feature of the whole bloody "show".

Last edited by Lothianlad; May 30th 2010 at 11:12 pm.
Old May 30th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
They still have the Eurovision? I stopped watching after Bucks Fizz!!!
I stopped watching after Brotherhood Of Man - "Save All Your Kisses For Me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szavq0lrFtg

Jim
Old May 30th 2010, 11:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I'm gobsmacked to see that the load of crap known as the Eurovision "Song" "Contest" is even known to you guys over there.....
Errr...we're Brits...it's all over every download site and it completely clogged up Twitter last night....hard to miss it...
Old May 31st 2010, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Eurovision is so rubbish now. I found the voting phase to be a lot more exiting - couldn't sit through the terrible music.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

The German song won - you can bet your boots this time next week very few people across Europe will remember the name of either the song or the singer, and as sure as hell nobody in the UK will. .
Actually the German song won because it's already been a huge chgart hit across most of mainland europe so people voted for what they knew.

I had a lot of fun watching my TAS get steadily more confused as the whole thing unfolded

Lx
Old Jun 1st 2010, 12:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
Actually the German song won because it's already been a huge chgart hit across most of mainland europe so people voted for what they knew.

I had a lot of fun watching my TAS get steadily more confused as the whole thing unfolded

Lx
Enquiring minds need to know ... TAS is what??
The context suggests that it signifies a partner, child, or domestic non-human companion, but the acronym finder serves up Telephone Answering System, Texas Accessibility Standards, the airport code for tashkent and a lot of others that don't sound quite right.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 1:14 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
Enquiring minds need to know ... TAS is what??
The context suggests that it signifies a partner, child, or domestic non-human companion, but the acronym finder serves up Telephone Answering System, Texas Accessibility Standards, the airport code for tashkent and a lot of others that don't sound quite right.
Trouble And Strife - Wife.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:25 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
The acronym finder obviously isn't programmed for cockney rhyming slang...hahaha...
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:27 pm
Not around much..

I'm hearing on the beeb radio that 120 million people watch it...sounds like a lot of trollop to me...must be 119,999,999 eastern europeans and a token frenchman who's not busy making love to his latte....
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Originally Posted by SDDep
The acronym finder obviously isn't programmed for cockney rhyming slang...hahaha...
It really isn't - it has nearly 300 alternatives for TAS & doesn't include that one! the closet to Trouble & Strife is Trouble Analysis System .. not quite the same thing.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 4:12 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

The Eastern-Eurovision Song Contest, won this year by the Krauts.
Happy as zer clams that they've finally beaten the other Euro's at something which didn't involve creative lampshade design or getting frostbite in zer foxholen.

England comes last.......... Yes! Yessssss!!!! Yes!
Gawd, that's why I still love my country - we do mediocrity so very well.

Unlike most of yer Yanks who think losing at anything is some kind of ghastly, apocalyptic failure and should be ignored or blamed on someone else - Pah!

Nice one England !! There's still hope after all.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 4:22 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Xebedee
The Eastern-Eurovision Song Contest, won this year by the Krauts.
Happy as zer clams that they've finally beaten the other Euro's at something which didn't involve creative lampshade design or getting frostbite in zer foxholen.

England comes last.......... Yes! Yessssss!!!! Yes!
Gawd, that's why I still love my country - we do mediocrity so very well.

Unlike most of yer Yanks who think losing at anything is some kind of ghastly, apocalyptic failure and should be ignored or blamed on someone else - Pah!

Nice one England !! There's still hope after all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.