Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Eating habits of Americans

Eating habits of Americans

Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:51 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eating habits of Americans

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
There's a lot of American things I've adapted to since moving here but I'm not budging on using my cutlery/silverware the British way. The American way seems inefficient and slow. I'm a slow eater anyway and swapping the knife and fork during eating is only going to make me even slower.

Plus, it is practical to eat a burger or sandwich with a knife and fork when it is so tall I can't jam it in my mouth.

Do Americans really nead a faster, more efficient way to get food to their face?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Very true but when eating alone, it is 'permissible' since you are either 1) at home alone or 2) eating in a restaurant and reading a book and don't want to mess around with cutlery while reading.

I will put a note here that I have witnessed many Irish people in the local restaurants who use the knife in the right and fork in the left with never placing the knife down. I do that as well. However, some have the fork tines pointing up, rather than down. I've tried this but am uncomfortable with it.

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
On a somewhat more serious note, I meant to comment on this:

I'm sure that all of you have seen Yanks who cut their meat into a pile of bits before eating it, but that's actually considered to be bad form here.

American etiquette rules call for cutting one piece at a time, just as you would in Europe. The differences are in holding the fork in the right hand and in holding the fork so that the tines are pointed upward, rather than downward. So don't feel that you need to mimic the cut-and-obliterate behavior to fit in -- the natives aren't supposed to be doing it, either.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Do Americans really nead a faster, more efficient way to get food to their face?

Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:25 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Here, in this Old Person's Rest Home, are some of the slowest eaters in the world. They are mostly, people who were used to dinner time being family time, not to be rushed, and they have slowed down.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 4:12 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
angonasec

You hold the knife and fork in the same way as we do, except the tines are facing up. You cut a piece of food, put down the knife and switch the fork to the right hand.
Pop it in your gob.
Then switch the fork back to the left hand, pick up the knife and start again?

That can't be right.
When cutting the meat (or whatever it is), you are supposed to keep the tines downward to keep the food on the plate. (Americans may be uncouth, but it is not acceptable to launch one's food flying across the room.) It's when bringing the food up to your gob that you are supposed to use the right hand and keep the tines facing upward.

In other words, Americans use forks as a right-hand scoop, while Europeans use them as a left-hand balancing beam. Americans use knives strictly for cutting; Europeans use them for both cutting and for squishing food into fork tines.

American scooping allows for plenty of time to get the food into the mouth, as it is unlikely to fall off of the fork. This allows us to speak longer (and more loudly, of course) unmolested, as we are apt to do, before bringing a steamy, nicely filled fork to the mouth. It also allows us to eat pesky foods such as peas easily, as they can remain on a Yank fork for ages without being pulverized into a vaguely verdant, odd-looking paste.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

GoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really nice

What irks me the most is that I come here and adults are doing the same thing I got slaps for as a child.

1. Not using a knife and fork.
2. Not sitting at the table to eat.
3. Not burping while covering my mouth.
4. Eating afters before dinner.

...and what is this obsession with cheese on EVERYTHING?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 8:55 am

GMM2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GoldFinger

I feel that way with all of the fried and greasy food. Have you seen the Applebys ad?
There is a chicken starter that has been battered fried then coated with a barbcue sauce and then has a dip on the side. How much stuff needs to cover up a piece of chicken?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

GoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really nice

Originally Posted by GMM2003
I feel that way with all of the fried and greasy food. Have you seen the Applebys ad?
There is a chicken starter that has been battered fried then coated with a barbcue sauce and then has a dip on the side. How much stuff needs to cover up a piece of chicken?
Applebys ad? Try Quisnos. It looks like throw up wrapped in a barritto (sprinkled with cheese of course).

The only thing you can get with barely any cheese is a Subway but ask for anything more than a slice and your asking for bankruptcy.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:11 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldFinger
You missed the "cheese makes everything taste better" advert run.

My Dutch husband doesn't like cheese (or chocolate, or fish, or a number of other Dutch specialities)! If there is one speck of cheese on something he won't eat it. I have successfully de-cheesed some things but between his tastes and the kids' pickiness we're down to a handful of foods. I think I"m going to start going out for dinner on my own.