Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Early mid-life crisis & Making It Count

Early mid-life crisis & Making It Count

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Early mid-life crisis & Making It Count

So I really hate the terms 'mid-life crisis' but it almost feels apt in our situation. Have any you just realized that you are simply not happy at all with what you do? I spent 7 years going for a masters in engineering, which I thought I would enjoy. Now, about 5 years after graduating, I absolutely cannot stomach the idea of sitting behind a desk, studying spreadsheets, making graphs, solving a manufacturing problem, etc. for the rest of my life. I'm only 30, so I have plenty of working years ahead of me, and it just depresses me to think about doing this kind of stuff forever.

The problem is, I don't know what I want to do. All I know is that I don't want to waste anymore time or money sitting in a classroom to do it 9if I don't have to). OH and I have considered several options, but all of them almost seem like we are just trying to run away from everything. Lately, I've been thinking about trying to do things to help others & trying to make a difference in people's lives. To do this, we've even considered joining the Peace Corps. The idea of this really calls to me, but the logistics of it baffles me, since we have put down roots. I mean, how does one go about giving up all of their possessions, pets, home, etc if we go away for 2+ years.

Do any of you know of any good books or maybe what kind of counselor or other that we could speak to? I really have no clue if the skills I possess could be somehow transferred to another career field, and it'd be nice to see if they could. I don't think we can bring this up with our families as they would just think we're crazy. They'd tell us: why would you want to give up good jobs, and a nice house, and a great education, yadda yadda. And I know we have very little to complain about, as we've been dealt a good hand in life thus far, but it's just not fulfilling enough.

Guess we'd just like some advice or thoughts from anyone else who may have found themselves in similar shoes. I'd like to make sure my life counted for something, or made a difference somehow - and making graphs, spreadsheets, analyzing data, etc just doesn't seem important in the scheme of things.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early mid-life crisis & Making It Count

I think nearly everyone comes up against what you are saying at some point in their life - whether it be by choice, or by necessity.

A long running book I'd recommend is "What color is your parachute" http://www.jobhuntersbible.com/articles/wciyp.php

- gives some helpful hints and tips on finding your way. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a porsche?
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
So I really hate the terms 'mid-life crisis' but it almost feels apt in our situation. Have any you just realized that you are simply not happy at all with what you do? I spent 7 years going for a masters in engineering, which I thought I would enjoy. Now, about 5 years after graduating, I absolutely cannot stomach the idea of sitting behind a desk, studying spreadsheets, making graphs, solving a manufacturing problem, etc. for the rest of my life. I'm only 30, so I have plenty of working years ahead of me, and it just depresses me to think about doing this kind of stuff forever.
But this might not be what your job entails as an 'engineer'. Engineering is a very broad field that offers as many options as you are prepared to accept.

It really does depend one which specific area of engineering interests you to be able to have a clue about what it exactly entails.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Buy a porsche?
Oh, if only buying that car would compensate for an unfulfilling lifestyle...Oh, wait! Isn't that car the very epitome of the unfulfilling lifestyle?

I think I'm far more drawn to a lifestyle where I can (somewhat) chose my own hours, and probably being able to work with my hands to actually build something (as opposed to 'building' a database for analyses) physically. Hmmm, or perhaps if I can find work for an organization/company that actually helps people instead of focusing on making a proft. But I don't know of too many non-profits that would want/need an engineer.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jan 2nd 2009 at 8:13 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:18 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is, I don't know what I want to do. All I know is that I don't want to waste anymore time or money sitting in a classroom to do it 9if I don't have to). OH and I have considered several options, but all of them almost seem like we are just trying to run away from everything. Lately, I've been thinking about trying to do things to help others & trying to make a difference in people's lives. To do this, we've even considered joining the Peace Corps. The idea of this really calls to me, but the logistics of it baffles me, since we have put down roots. I mean, how does one go about giving up all of their possessions, pets, home, etc if we go away for 2+ years.

Do any of you know of any good books or maybe what kind of counselor or other that we could speak to? I really have no clue if the skills I possess could be somehow transferred to another career field, and it'd be nice to see if they could. I don't think we can bring this up with our families as they would just think we're crazy. They'd tell us: why would you want to give up good jobs, and a nice house, and a great education, yadda yadda. And I know we have very little to complain about, as we've been dealt a good hand in life thus far, but it's just not fulfilling enough.

Guess we'd just like some advice or thoughts from anyone else who may have found themselves in similar shoes. I'd like to make sure my life counted for something, or made a difference somehow - and making graphs, spreadsheets, analyzing data, etc just doesn't seem important in the scheme of things.
I've yet to find my niche. I suspect I know what it is.

Can you use your engineer skills in the PC? I'm sure there are some NGOs that could make use of your skills. If you do this kind of work, it will probably open all sorts of avenues to you, and opportunities that you never would have anticipated.

You're still young at 30. For me, at 35, I've seen it all, and life has passed me by. I didn't take any chances and I regret that I didn't.
As for the material possessions and comfortable lifestyle, well, in the words of Tyler Durden, Be careful what own because it'll end owning you.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:47 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

My wife earned a BA in Chemical Engineering, MA in Biomaterials and a PhD in Chemistry. She worked for a few years for a pacemaker company, a little while for Lockheed Martin, as a fledgling Prof at an American university and ran the Biophotonics/Quantum Math theme at a university in the UK for a short while before deciding that she really didn't want anything to do with it anymore. Big decision but once you accept you will be making a lot less, not the one of your mates with the smart-bastard job but with a happy life it's nice.

On the other hand - have you considered having a really good wank?
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As you said yourself, you are only 30 and can still change professions. Hell some people aren't finished college until sometime in their thirties. I got my degree by the age of 32.

Think seriously about what you would like to do with your professional life. If it is the peace corp, so be it. You can farm out the animals, rent out the house and take up residency there when your stint is over.

Or perhaps since there are so many needy causes in this big country of ours, you can find a local organization that your find employment with assisting others. Pinpoint where your priority is: Children? Healthcare? Adults? Addiction? Housing? Etc. and work from there.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
My wife earned a BA in Chemical Engineering, MA in Biomaterials and a PhD in Chemistry. She worked for a few years for a pacemaker company, a little while for Lockheed Martin, as a fledgling Prof at an American university and ran the Biophotonics/Quantum Math theme at a university in the UK for a short while before deciding that she really didn't want anything to do with it anymore. Big decision but once you accept you will be making a lot less, not the one of your mates with the smart-bastard job but with a happy life it's nice.

On the other hand - have you considered having a really good wank?
Very glad to know I'm not the only engineer that has, errr, reconsidered the career field. I'm open to making less money, if it means I can look forward to getting up everyday, and I'm not having to force myself out of bed everyday to go do it. I suppose the hubby and I are getting all philosophical in our 'old' age and asking ourselves what's life all about really? Since we have to work in order to survive, then we'd like to know that what we're doing counts for something in the scheme of things, and we're not just making 'the man' richer.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:57 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps you could just try looking at jobs, in all fields, and see if any grab you. The fact that you have a masters (regardless of discipline) will at least get you passed the first hurdle of box-checkers in human resources (who probably have an average of 1 GED per three of them - the bastards!)

Lordy, US companies really love their bits of paper, don't they?
Oh, I'm sorry, Mr Gates, you're not qualified. Nor are you, Mr Branson... Anyway, got to go cos Gramma's fryin' somethin' in our double-wide.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:08 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Look here for some contact info. See if anything tickles your fancy.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Also google "working for an NGO".
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Bang out a few chavs ... that what most do ...
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:09 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
That's in the UK, where Zanu Labour pays them for it...
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:10 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
That's what the world needs: more chavs. And then your mum could become a state governor?
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:14 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, if only buying that car would compensate for an unfulfilling lifestyle...Oh, wait! Isn't that car the very epitome of the unfulfilling lifestyle?

I think I'm far more drawn to a lifestyle where I can (somewhat) chose my own hours, and probably being able to work with my hands to actually build something (as opposed to 'building' a database for analyses) physically. Hmmm, or perhaps if I can find work for an organization/company that actually helps people instead of focusing on making a proft. But I don't know of too many non-profits that would want/need an engineer.
More serious question: what are your finances like? Can you afford to give up your current job while you try a few things out? That's probably going to be one of the biggest constraints on you, I would guess (though I may be wrong...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.