Drone Laws

Old Dec 21st 2015, 2:09 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drone Laws

Anything larger than a very very small toy now needs to be registered with the FAA (starting today):
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration
Did any other drone owners hear about this?

I tried to register, but the link is not live yet.

Does anyone else own a drone? I have a Phantom 3 Professional by DJI. I previously owned the more expensive DJI Inspire 1 but crashed it in to a tree and refused to spend that kind of money again.

I live in the boonies and fly it for pleasure and to check fence lines etc.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 2:16 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drone Laws

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Anything larger than a very very small toy now needs to be registered with the FAA (starting today):
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration
Did any other drone owners hear about this?
There have been a bunch of articles online about it coming up.

Couple of years late really, but better late than never I guess.

to check fence lines etc.
What an excellent idea.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a a 250class I built. I find it very hard to fly though so I'm sticking with a little toy hubsan for now.
The RCGroups forum is full of anger on the issue. The AMA is telling members to hold off registering as it's trying to iron out the wrinkles with the FAA. How successful they will be I don't know.

As it currently stands the FAA are saying your assigned registration number, name and address will be publicly available.
They are not taking details of your models, so all of them get the same number. They don't even know what you have.

So the problem is if a bad guy buys one, grabs a number from the database, copies it onto his and then uses it for bad stuff.
If the thing is recovered they look up the number and voila - you did the bad thing, and it's up to you to prove otherwise.

While I don't think most responsible people object to being on a list, the way this has been done is really quite half-baked even for US bureaucracy.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite. Register online for hobby use, by paper for commercial use.

It seems that you don't have to do it if you aren't a citizen or permanent resident though.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it definitely effects the hobby guys.
I didn't spot the bit about not having to register if you're not a PR/Citizen though.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
I've got a a 250class I built. I find it very hard to fly though so I'm sticking with a little toy hubsan for now.
The RCGroups forum is full of anger on the issue. The AMA is telling members to hold off registering as it's trying to iron out the wrinkles with the FAA. How successful they will be I don't know.

As it currently stands the FAA are saying your assigned registration number, name and address will be publicly available.
They are not taking details of your models, so all of them get the same number. They don't even know what you have.

So the problem is if a bad guy buys one, grabs a number from the database, copies it onto his and then uses it for bad stuff.
If the thing is recovered they look up the number and voila - you did the bad thing, and it's up to you to prove otherwise.

While I don't think most responsible people object to being on a list, the way this has been done is really quite half-baked even for US bureaucracy.

They really should match the reg # to each model # or whatever drones have so they all unique to that specific model.

I have no issue with the names and such being public, already that way for aircraft so why keep drone users info private?
Old Dec 21st 2015, 8:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
... It seems that you don't have to do it if you aren't a citizen or permanent resident though.
That's an interesting interpretation!

My interpretation is that you can't register a drone if you are not a citizen or PR (the linked web site says the person who registers the drone must be a USC or PR), which is completely different from "not having to register" if you are not a citizen or PR.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 21st 2015 at 9:00 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 9:00 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite. Register online for hobby use, by paper for commercial use.

That is exactly the case. For hobby use, you now must register the drone online (previously it was not necessary to register at all). For commercial use you still register by mail.
They basically added registration for hobby use, but kept it online. I believe (at this stage) it is going to be a way for them to target hobby users with literature and regulation and safety info.

It seems that you don't have to do it if you aren't a citizen or permanent resident though.
Makes sense. The FAA is unlikely to want a database of holiday makers etc.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

There may be different laws regarding unregistered foreign aircraft pertaining to non USCs/ PRs. Drones are slowly becoming registered aircraft in a way. bit like operating unlicensed radios in the US. I know I was not covered by my UK HAM license as a PR.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 9:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Makes sense. The FAA don't want a database of holiday makers etc.
Right, but I think it means that holiday makers can only operate drones in the US that are already registered by USC's or PR. IOW Operating a registerable drone that is not registered is unlawful no matter who owns it.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Right, but I think it means that holiday makers can only operate drones in the US that are already registered by USC's or PR. IOW Operating a registerable drone that is not registered is unlawful no matter who owns it.
I dug a little deeper. It seems EVERYONE will eventually need to register (citizen, PR, or otherwise). http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/

Q9. Who is required to register on the new online UAS registration website?
A. Only individual recreational or hobby users who meet U.S. citizenship requirements are able to register their unmanned aircraft using this new streamlined web-based process. This new, faster and easier system will be available for other UAS owners soon

Q41. Why does the certificate I received constitute recognition of registration for US citizens and permanent residents, but only recognition of ownership for foreign nationals? Have I complied with the requirement to register?
A. All users can submit information to the UAS registry; however, the law only permits the FAA to register aircraft belonging to United States citizens and permanent residents. For all others, the certificate received from the registry comprises a recognition of ownership, rather than a registration. Foreign nationals who have completed the recognition of ownership process and wish to receive a rebate for the $5 registration fee may contact the FAA. Nonetheless, all users are encouraged to submit their information and mark their UAS. This will facilitate the recovery of the UAS, should it be lost or stolen.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 9:19 pm

I was finally able to register.
Part of the process stated

Acknowledgement of Safety Guidance

I will fly below 400 feet

I will fly within visual line of sight

I will be aware of FAA airspace requirements: Temporary Flight Restrictions

I will not fly directly over people

I will not fly over stadiums and sports events

I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires

I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports

I will not fly under the influence

I presume they are talking about flying my drone, and not me taking flight. The only way that would be possible is if I ignored the last guideline....
Old Dec 21st 2015, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't that depend on what the influence is?
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

If the influence is very high then it is easy to stay under it.
Old Dec 25th 2015, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Acknowledgement of Safety Guidance

I will fly below 400 feet

I will fly within visual line of sight

I will be aware of FAA airspace requirements: Temporary Flight Restrictions

I will not fly directly over people

I will not fly over stadiums and sports events

I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires

I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports

I presume they are talking about flying my drone, and not me taking flight. The only way that would be possible is if I ignored the last guideline....
I'm overall in favor of drones, and would love to buy one someday to do aerial photography, but I am also very opposed to noise, and don't want to see these things anywhere near 'natural beauty'. I see that they are being banned from National Parks, Regional Parks, etc and that is a very good thing. Interesting that the list above doesn't say anything about not flying where prohibited.

I recall some moron used a drone to fly right over the geyser at Yellowstone, and it crashed into the ground. Dutch tourist drone pilot fined for Yellowstone flight - BBC News .

Personally I'd like to ban leaf blowers, barking dogs, and video games on planes without headphones too ...