Driving to work

Old Oct 7th 2021, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Titch_lite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving to work

Moving to US this month. I'm going to buy a house once I am there. I can't afford to buy where i am working, prices are just way too high without a mortgage. So i am looking a couple towns over.

This would mean a 35 mile each way all interstate drive. Google is saying 40-45 minutes. I80 through OH. Just a little bothered about the winter weather as well.

How many miles do you all drive to work? Be nice to get a comparison of what other are commuting.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to work

I've been working from home since March 2020 but prior to that I was in the office 3 days a week and my commute was 47 miles and 47 minutes on average which was basically out my house and onto the highway all the way to work.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My longest commute in the US was from Milwaukee to Chicgo O'hare airport, which was about 80 miles one way, took about 90 minutes.

Most of the winter wasn't an issue, the interstates I used were kept clear, there were maybe 1-2 days out of the winter that were sketchy but it was one of those biggest storms in 20 years type deal, but having never lived or driven in Ohio, I cannot say how their winters are compared to Wisconsin and Ilinois, I should say that was the first time I had ever lived where it snowed and got cold, having spent the 21 years prior to that move in San Diego.

I wouldn't reccomend an 80 mile one way commute if working 5 days a week, I had 12 hour shifts with 4 days off each week, so it was doable, 35 miles one way doesn't seem too bad, not unusual in So. California and other major city's for people to travel in the 30-40 mile range, above average but not out of this world crazy either.

Old Oct 7th 2021, 10:57 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titch_lite
Moving to US this month. I'm going to buy a house once I am there. I can't afford to buy where i am working, prices are just way too high without a mortgage. So i am looking a couple towns over.

This would mean a 35 mile each way all interstate drive. Google is saying 40-45 minutes. I80 through OH. Just a little bothered about the winter weather as well.

How many miles do you all drive to work? Be nice to get a comparison of what other are commuting.
are you googling at rush hour (US time)?

The mileage (aside from gas) is not really important, the traffic / time is. I was doing NYC from Fairfield for years and it was 2h door to desk between driving, parking, train and walking. Are you checking at the right time of day? Here I95 can be 1h with no traffic, 1.5+ with traffic or 3+ with traffic and accidents…

No idea what I80 is like. Do you have to be there at a certain time or can you adjust to avoid traffic? Is being late am issue?

Old Oct 8th 2021, 10:29 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

25 minutes, about 18 miles.

All rural roads. Deer and other wildlife are the primary problem for me rather than traffic.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 2:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

For myself, I drove from lower Westchester/Bronx via I95 to Stamford, Connecticut 5 days a week. Travel time at rush hour approximately 45 minutes. This was the days before EzyPass and you had to stop to pay the toll.

P.S. Why are you intending to purchase a house as soon as your get to the US? Are you entering with a green card or just a work visa? Rent for at least a 6 months to get to know where the various neighborhoods and towns before making such a big purchase.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 2:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
P.S. Why are you intending to purchase a house as soon as your get to the US? Are you entering with a green card or just a work visa? Rent for at least a 6 months to get to know where the various neighborhoods and towns before making such a big purchase.
That was suggested to him in his other thread, but apparently he has five dogs, which makes renting complicated!
Old Oct 8th 2021, 2:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
That was suggested to him in his other thread, but apparently he has five dogs, which makes renting complicated!
Silly me not to research the poster. Thanks Meg!
Old Oct 8th 2021, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

35 miles, 45 minutes in southern OH. I find they're pretty good at keeping the interstate clear; I'm sure they'd be even more on top of it in North OH.

Much more robust than the UK, where everything grinds to a halt with 1". Having said that, it took me 3 hours to get home one day in Feb due to a rapid snow fall at 2PM. Buy a car with AWD/4WD.

Old Oct 8th 2021, 6:50 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
25 minutes, about 18 miles.

All rural roads. Deer and other wildlife are the primary problem for me rather than traffic.
Same for me with the occasional tractor thrown in.
Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane
Buy a car with AWD/4WD.
I second that. In Tennessee we rarely get snow but when we do it's chaos so I find it much better to have a capable vehicle and not need 4WD most of the time than to not have it and be stuck at home/work that one time you do need it.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

10 miles each way. And it’s pure purgatory unless I take the motorcycle!
Old Oct 13th 2021, 3:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was from Mesa to Tempe Arizona. 12 miles one way, about 30 to 40 minutes during rush hour (surface roads as I hate freeway driving). But I've been working from home since March 2020, just driving in one morning a week now. I've saved so much money on gas, food, and car maintenance!

Rene
Old Oct 15th 2021, 1:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titch_lite

Are you going to be working in a large enough city that there is a commuter train network? Well worth considering, if so. Trains aren't as expensive as in the UK, as a rule, you save the wear and tear on your car, miss the traffic jams, etc. Expressways are usually kept open pretty well here in the winter. Again, it's not like the UK - they are prepared, with a lot of machinery and a lot of salt. It can def slow things down though.