Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

drivers license at the doctors?

drivers license at the doctors?

Old Jul 11th 2014, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default drivers license at the doctors?

I'm filling in a form prior to my sons initial visit to the orthodontist. I can understand the need for all the questions with the exception of wanting my drivers license number. Why would they want that?

I can understand the need for the social security number, which i understand is not legally required but most practices require it in case of billing issues. But a drivers license number
Old Jul 11th 2014, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: drivers license at the doctors?

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I'm filling in a form prior to my sons initial visit to the orthodontist. I can understand the need for all the questions with the exception of wanting my drivers license number. Why would they want that?

I can understand the need for the social security number, which i understand is not legally required but most practices require it in case of billing issues. But a drivers license number
I remember last year when my Medical care provider started using EPIC I needed to show my ID/Driving lics as well as Insurance Card and SS card, they scanned them and entered them in the Statewide system Oregon has implemented. Supposed to prevent fraud and drug abuse and Dr. shopping etc. Perhaps this is also being upgraded in AZ ?
http://www.epic.com/
Old Jul 11th 2014, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a problem with showing the license as a photo ID at the point of service. But scanning and storing the card and/or number sounds a bit big brother to me. I've always been keen on only disclosing as much as i have to to help minimize any identity theft impact. I did however fill in the number rather than kick up a fuss, the question here is more out of curiosity.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Jul 11th 2014 at 10:00 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 10:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I don't have a problem with showing the license as a photo ID at the point of service. But scanning and storing the card and/or number sounds a bit big brother to me. I've always been keen on only disclosing as much as i have to to help minimize any identity theft impact. I did however fill in the number rather than kick up a fuss, the question here is more out of curiosity.
Last week I went to a hospital for pre op testing. 'Driver's license'...'Sorry I don't have a photo DL as I have had to hand it in to get an Ontario DL...but I have my passport'. Puzzled look by receptionist...'Oh never mind'.

I know in New Jersey you have to produce photo ID to see a doctor, have a test MRI etc., or surgery. Don't know whether it's Federal or State law. As already been said...it's to stop a person passing their medical insurance card to a relative or friend to use...and drug abuse.

In NJ you also have to provide a DL...which is scanned...if you buy over the counter meds. Again for drug abuse. This prevents a person from going down the road to purchase more meds...ie I bought a 28 day supply of antihistamines...I would not be allowed to purchased more in NJ within the 28 day period.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 11th 2014 at 10:19 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems everyone wants to see ID or obtain the information these days. If it were not for the fact BC has combined the drivers license and medical card into one, I'd never show the doctors office my drivers license, but no choice now.

California regulates some OTC drugs mostly cold pills, but last time I bought some there they only made you ask the pharmacist for them, no id needed, but not sure if its still the case.

I just don't trust companies or really anyone to properly dispose of documents with personal info on them, so I hate giving it out. Its like the dentist needing my email, they have no use for it, so I refused to give it.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 11th 2014 at 10:34 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 10:41 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The nice thing about being asked for a DL, is that you can just say "I don't have one". I'd rather show my green card, as I am guessing any identity fraudster would be more set up for grabbing what is more standard i.e a DL.

I'm still flabbergasted that stores ask me for my telephone number and/or zip code at checkout. While they probably know it anyway, I am not going to make it easy for them.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Filling out all that same rubbish every time you go somewhere new, or see a different doctor at the same practice, is annoying. The best one is signing to say you understand the doctors are contractors and the practice accepts no responsibility for what they do.

I think the massively duplicated medical histories are just to cover themselves in the event you did not disclose something. The DL number I assumed is to chase you for payment.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 12:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So how do people with no Photo ID get treatment?
Old Jul 12th 2014, 12:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I will find out next week. It should be interesting when I produce my US passport and NEXUS card...even though the hospital is on the Canadian/US border...they don't seem to know what a passport is. If they do they don't appear to recognize it as a form of photo ID.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 12:13 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Cash up front.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 12:25 am
Account Closed

How do they know how much?
Old Jul 12th 2014, 12:36 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

How much do you have.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Sounds fair
Old Jul 12th 2014, 2:06 am
Account Closed

I will be paying as i have no orthodontic coverage on either my health or dental plan. I'm expecting to pay through the nose
Old Jul 12th 2014, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I just write "declined" for any sections I don't want to give, including SSN. I had it out with Crate and Barrel once for a return when they asked for my drivers license and couldn't tell me why, what they do with it or where it's stored.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.