Wikiposts

Driverless Cars

Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driverless Cars

Strewth!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:13 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Strewth!
Possum
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:22 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, the sheep and badly written soap operas are in the next room down the hall.

Bloody foreigners
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:27 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Sorry, the sheep and badly written soap operas are in the next room down the hall.

Bloody foreigners
Shh... We're blending.

Throw another Stingray on the Barbie Bruce.

It's uncanny... I could BE an Aussie.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:36 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Shh... We're blending.

Throw another Stingray on the Barbie Bruce.

It's uncanny... I could BE an Aussie.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:02 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
The benefit in limiting cars to a certain speed is tiny compared to the hassle of making and fitting them to all new cars. Very few accidents are caused by people going that fast.
Like I said, I'm not actually aware of any car that doesn't already have a speed limiter in the firmware. The hassle of limiting them all to 86mph is non-existent, it takes as much time to do it as it does to say it. Plug the car in, type in the maximum speed into the firmware.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:03 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
No way, that's a bunch of ridiculous nanny state-ism.
So it will definitely happen then, I thought they were already thinking about doing something like this somewhere in Europe. Italy? Or the UK probably.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:07 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

They could also make planes that take off, fly to their destination, and land without human intervention, and perversely, at the moment the computers get to fly the easy bit, where problems are rarely experienced AF447 and MH370 notwithstanding, and humans fly the difficult and dangerous bits (TO&L) where computers could have the greatest impact in reducing accidents. In short, mass state over-ride of car controls isn't, and shouldn't be, first or even second priority.
I take it you haven't heard of autoland then, which has been around for er... many years indeed. Pilots are still required to do some minimum number of manual landings, which is usually when the accidents happen.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:18 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Steve_
So it will definitely happen then, I thought they were already thinking about doing something like this somewhere in Europe. Italy? Or the UK probably.
If they must, they should build in plenty of headroom to allow for the aforementioned 'quick getaway'. I know the Germans limit theirs to 155 mph. That seems fine to me

I take it you haven't heard of autoland then, which has been around for er... many years indeed. Pilots are still required to do some minimum number of manual landings, which is usually when the accidents happen.
Since the 1960s. It was the Hawker-Siddeley Trident that performed the first blind landing in 1965. Quite impressive, really.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you haven't heard of autoland then, which has been around for er... many years indeed. ......
Oh, no exactly the opposite, I am well aware it exists, and I knew that some landings were manual, what I didn't realise was that most landings are automatic.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:37 am
I have a comma problem

Oh, no exactly the opposite, I am well aware it exists, and I knew that some landings were manual, what I didn't realise was that most landings are automatic.
Not all airports are equipped to handle a full Cat.III auto land, though. I believe that most approaches are automatic (standard ILS coupled approach and descent) and the pilot takes over a few hundred feet from the runway to complete the actual landing.

There is a provision for a certain number of fully automated landings per so many flight hours on any given airframe and I believe every pilot is required to perform a fully manual landing every set number of hours as well.

Takeoff is still handled fully by the pilot. Often the SID is flown by hand as well but one can pretty much hand things over to the FMC at wheels up if they so desire.

Ahh, I think I'll be dusting off Flight Sim again tonight ...
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:53 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Well last time I was in the jump seat on a 747, back when they let me do that sort of thing, we came into Gatwick and it was thick fog and it was an auto land, got down to around 300 feet and the FO became a little worried because he still couldn't see anything, and I do mean anything. Kept on going and lo and behold literally about a second before the wheels touched the centre line appeared out of the gloom.

And having had ice cold water drip on my head constantly for nine hours from the escape hatch, I'm never doing that again...
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:58 am

..... And having had ice cold water drip on my head constantly for nine hours from the escape hatch, I'm never doing that again...
Cold water or not, post 9/11 you're not doing that again anyway!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:30 pm
I have a comma problem

That in itself is reason enough to bomb the shit out of those twats
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:50 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Nope, so now all you've got to worry about is the captain or the FO hijacking the plane. I'm sure that will never happen...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.