Drink Driving

Old Apr 1st 2015, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drink Driving

I have found driving after 9pm an 'interesting' experience on Floridian roads!!

Two nights before we got married, my wife and I were prepping the venue and she got a phone call from a work colleague. She and another friend of ours had been out for some drinks and the other friend had overdone the drink, so could she bring her round to our place. No problem, we think, how very responsible. They duly turn up... about an hour later I chance to look out on the street and see both vehicles????

Turns out the 'way over the limit' friend (as in barely standing) had driven back with the 'conscientious' friend (who herself was about 6 drinks merrier than she should have been) tailing her like some kind of vanguard....

The pair of them were ripped off a strip by my wife and several other guests the next day (all USC's) - they were very contrite and as far as I know, to this day, still go out, get pissed and drive home...
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived on the NE side of Atlanta, about 15 years ago, it seemed that every other week, there was a wrong way wreck on the downtown connector in the early hours of the morning. The report would often add that alcohol was involved.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
When I lived on the NE side of Atlanta, about 15 years ago, it seemed that every other week, there was a wrong way wreck on the downtown connector in the early hours of the morning. The report would often add that alcohol was involved.
Same in the greater Charlotte area 10-15 years ago, but now we rarely hear about it. I am not sure what has changed. Back then the pattern was usually a combination of alcohol and a matricula.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

You CAN get a DUI on a bike, you know?

...and a ride-on lawnmower, et al.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 1:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
You CAN get a DUI on a bike, you know?

...and a ride-on lawnmower, et al.
I seem to recall hearing of someone being ticketed for being drunk on a "mobility scooter".
Old Apr 1st 2015, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
I thought about this thread last night ...

I left a friends house in a subdivision at about 21:30, came out in right lane to turn right, lights on green. No idea what or how it happened but I thought a car in the 'turn left on arrow' lane across the road was at my side so in that split moment I thought 'shit, I'm on the wrong side!). I shot across in front of him and turned right into the oncoming traffic lane, there was a car coming towards me so I shot behind the stationary car and across in front of the oncoming car and back to where I should be!!

Honestly I nearly died of shock Those poor people in their cars must have wondered what the hell? It was a busy'ish road that was quiet at the time though.

I had absolutely no excuse for what I did, no alcohol was involved though.

We do split our time between UK and USA so often have those split second moments when you think "which side of the road" but never has something like that happened. If it had been busy I dread to think, but then again if it had been busy I would have just been following the car in front!
Old Apr 1st 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by TopSec
...... If it had been busy I dread to think, but then again if it had been busy I would have just been following the car in front!
There is always that limiting factor, that wrong way accidents rarely occur on busy roads because even drunks and the confused/ senile can usually follow other cars when the roads are busy.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 1st 2015 at 2:13 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is always that limiting factor, that wrong way accidents rarely occur on busy roads because even drunks and the confused/ senile can follow other cars when the roads are busy.
Are you calling me confused/senile I was certainly confused!! It makes my stomach turn thinking about it now

You're right though, in the UK where I drive on some country back roads I sometimes have to do that split second double think rather than here in Houston!
Old Apr 1st 2015, 2:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopSec
Who else also turns off the radio when you are concentrating trying to find a street or are lost in town?
I'm glad it's not just me. Though I can never make sense of why I do it.

On the drink driving thing, I'm starting to think if we were to start setting up minicab firms across the country, we'd make a killing
Old Apr 1st 2015, 2:34 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
we'd make a killing
I thought that was the bit we were trying to avoid.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 2:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I thought that was the bit we were trying to avoid.
Unfortunate wording, maybe?
Old Apr 1st 2015, 2:41 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunate wording, maybe?
My one and only serious car crash was when we had a designated driver, much to my mothers annoyance (cos I never let her forget it).
Old Apr 1st 2015, 3:53 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

On the drink driving thing, I'm starting to think if we were to start setting up minicab firms across the country, we'd make a killing
Cue the plug for A2B cabs Katy, set up by a Brit expat for that very reason We are regular customers.............

It was something we had talked about for a few years, but never got round to actually doing anything about it, mainly because my mates all have proper jobs, and I'd rather be on the other side of the "get you home pissed" delivery system.....
Old Apr 1st 2015, 3:56 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Cue the plug for A2B cabs Katy, set up by a Brit expat for that very reason We are regular customers.............
Yes! Maybe it will spread, as there is absolutely the market for it. None of that online, you might get driven out into a field, bummed then killed, uber crap, either.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 5:09 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, she started as a 1 car operation, now has 4 cars, but only works Thursday - Saturday as a cab service. The rest of the week it is more like pre-booked private hire runs to the airport and the like, and a surprising (her words) number of kid drop offs at evening activities. Reckons the evening pub-run business is almost exclusively expats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.