Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Does my CV scream "American"?

Does my CV scream "American"?

Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:42 am
Just Joined

texas_girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does my CV scream "American"?

I've been browsing UK jobs and have noticed some marked differences in the job descriptions, etc. There are a lot of terms (GCSE, 2:1, etc.) that I'm not getting. I can guess from the context, but it would be helpful to know a few things to try and reshape my resume so that is doesn't scream AMERICAN.

A little background, I have a B.A. in English and and M.A. in English. I had a 3.5 GPA with my B.A. and 4.0 with my M.A. I'm not sure how this translates in the UK. I'm moving to the UK with my British husband and children in April.

I'm currently a Lecturer for a University in Texas, but I'm not getting any responses from the few jobs I've submitted my CV. I've reached out to a few recruiting firms with jobs posted inquiring what qualifications I need or if my current degrees are adequate but have also received no response from the 3-4 different organizations I contacted.

Any help, tips, etc. would be very much appreciated!
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:14 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does my CV scream "American"?

GCSE means General Certificate of Secondary Education it's what sixteen year old school leavers in Britain have. At the end of their secondary education they will take an exam in each of the subjects they have been studying for 2 years.

It's the results of those exams that will give them credibility (or not)regarding a job or college course that they might want to do.

'A' Level means - advanced level. It's what college students can study as their further education on leaving school. Should they wish to further their knowledge of a particular subject. It's available to other course participants too i.e. adult learners, evening school etc.

It's the results of these 'A' levels that will determine whether a University place will be available to an interested student.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:40 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by texas_girl
I've been browsing UK jobs and have noticed some marked differences in the job descriptions, etc. There are a lot of terms (GCSE, 2:1, etc.) that I'm not getting. I can guess from the context, but it would be helpful to know a few things to try and reshape my resume so that is doesn't scream AMERICAN.

A little background, I have a B.A. in English and and M.A. in English. I had a 3.5 GPA with my B.A. and 4.0 with my M.A. I'm not sure how this translates in the UK. I'm moving to the UK with my British husband and children in April.

I'm currently a Lecturer for a University in Texas, but I'm not getting any responses from the few jobs I've submitted my CV. I've reached out to a few recruiting firms with jobs posted inquiring what qualifications I need or if my current degrees are adequate but have also received no response from the 3-4 different organizations I contacted.

Any help, tips, etc. would be very much appreciated!
Hi! Degrees in the UK are rated as a 'first', a 2:1, a 2:2 or a third so hopefully that clears that up!

I'm a UK educated paramedic with a degree, worked in the UK for 11 years and have heaps of extra qualifications. I have sent off my CV to at least 4 companies/agencies offering private work for medics in the UK over the last few months and NOTHING!!!! They haven't even acknowledged any of my enquiries either which I think is just plain bloody rude!

The last agency I sent my CV off to DID respond to me however and are currently registering me on their books - the difference this time? I put my UK address on my CV not my Australian address - hmmm! Also its difficult cos I can't just pop in and speak to someone face to face so I'm going to wait now until I am physically back in the country.

Like you I really want to be proactive about finding a job so don't lose heart, I really do think it will be easier once you are living in the UK. You sound highly qualified so hopefully you will find something suitable soon! Good luck

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 1st 2013 at 6:01 am.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

A 2:2 (lower second) - anything higher might mean that you took your studies too seriously - (or you are a genius) is also known as a Desmond.

As in Desmond Tutu.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:46 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely drop the GPA as it means nothing in the UK and does make you sound 'foreign.'

I'm generally knowledgable about CVs/resumes but I'm afraid I have no idea when it comes to the academic world. Could you start networking for introductions to some UK college lecturers? That way you could speak to real people and get the inside scoop on what's right and wrong with your American CV.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
.... 'A' Level means - advanced level. It's what college students can study as their further education on leaving school. Should they wish to further their knowledge of a particular subject. It's available to other course participants too i.e. adult learners, evening school etc.....
Twaddle! (or maybe I have misread, but it is at least "unclear")

A levels are typically (though admittedly not always) studied for by 17-18 year olds, who sit the exam at age 18, two years after their GCSEs. It used to be typical to only take three subjects (usually subjects you performed strongly in at GCSE), and therefore the depth of study is comparable with US undergraduate study. I hear they have been "dumbed down" a little in recent years and students more commonly take four or even five subjects. The difference between doing A levels at high school compared to later in life is that a fair part of what makes them challenging is doing sever subjects simultaneously, so not all A levels are seen equally - those achieved together carry more weight that those obtained one at a time.

...... It's the results of these 'A' levels that will determine whether a University place will be available to an interested student.
Correct! ... And most university places are offered provisionally based on predicted grades while students are in their senior year.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 1st 2013 at 12:45 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
A 2:2 (lower second) - anything higher might mean that you took your studies too seriously - (or you are a genius) ......
Many jobs will specify an "upper second" (2:1) or better, especially for positions for new and recent graduates, and academic positions. A first class degree is relatively rare, I think only about 5% of degrees are awarded at that level. A 4.0 GPA might be considered similar but I would be wary about claiming a "first" based on a GPA of 4.0
Old Feb 1st 2013, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an MA you can more or less consider yourself qualified for any job that requires a BA, even a First, in the same field.
I would simply describe yourself in your CV as
Mary J. Smith M.A.(University of Texas)
or whatever is appropriate along those lines.

Not all MAs are created equal, but the employer will do whatever discounting is necessary. A key part is that they can do a quick online check that "University of Texas" (or whatever) is a legitimate university.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 3:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
A 2:2 (lower second) - anything higher might mean that you took your studies too seriously - (or you are a genius) is also known as a Desmond.

As in Desmond Tutu.
Rubbish, my party hearty son got better scores than that when his degree was translated. But then a lot of his professors graded on a curve and he would spoil the curve according to his room mate
Old Feb 1st 2013, 3:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, getting a set of A-levels would be equivalent to getting a Highschool diploma, or a GED.

Once you've got a degree, the above becomes irrelevant really, especially if you've got work experience. It's only interesting if you're a new graduate. So don't even bother list anything below university stuff on the CV.

A 4.0 GPA would be equivalent to a First, so say it's an equivalent, as you're looking for academic work it'll be more appropriate, other wise don't bother.

Big difference from CV v Resume, it's a list of facts really, none of that waffle and sales pitch that is on a resume, such as objectives/goals.

Though teaching at uni, without being known in the field or having a good network of connections to make introductions, it's going to be very hard to find a gig without a doctorate, as usually you do need to have a higher level of study than people you lecture, though of course this will depend on what subject you're in.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 7:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

There is someone on www.uk-yankee.com who made a sticky in the "on the job" section about changing resumes to CV. She or he (I forget) is an American working in HR so gets to sort through them all day long
My son found the tips very useful.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Many jobs will specify an "upper second" (2:1) or better, especially for positions for new and recent graduates, and academic positions. A first class degree is relatively rare, I think only about 5% of degrees are awarded at that level. A 4.0 GPA might be considered similar but I would be wary about claiming a "first" based on a GPA of 4.0
Firsts are not as hard to get as they used to be. I would agree with Bob, 4.0 is a first.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Firsts are not as hard to get as they used to be. I would agree with Bob, 4.0 is a first.
Back in the day, I got a 2:2. Probably more or less the equivalent of a modern-day first.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Back in the day, I got a 2:2. Probably more or less the equivalent of a modern-day first.
Probably.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
I am certain you are right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.