Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Does Britain need to catch up ?????

Does Britain need to catch up ?????

Old Dec 22nd 2013, 6:00 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Britain need to catch up ?????

Originally Posted by robin1234
Hate speech should be subject to "censorship" and criminal sanction.
Orwell warned us about the dangers of criminalizing ideas.

The state should regulate action, not thought. If you want to lynch me, that's fine, just so long as you don't attempt to turn your dream into a reality. You can believe whatever you like; doing it is another matter.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 6:06 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

The state should regulate action, not thought. If you want to lynch me, that's fine, just so long as you don't attempt to turn your dream into a reality. You can believe whatever you like; doing it is another matter.
I could not agree more.

*goes to lie down*
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 6:09 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

The effects of speech can be actionable. Fraud, assault, abuse, lying, stirring up trouble, harassment, doing someone out of a job, ruining a reputation, those are the things that can be identified. But someone saying, for example, "Oh, all Hungarian-American women are nothing but worthless thieving lazy baggage" doesn't injure me unless they cause someone to take action harming me. If, as is more likely to happen in the circles in which I move, they get dirty looks and comments like "that was a shitty thing to say, asshole", they had their free speech, they said what they said, they're not criminals, but they get a clear message that their ideas are disapproved of.

That's how it's supposed to work. Good people doing something to get it across to bad people that they'd better wise up, thanks, we want a good society around here.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 6:13 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
The effects of speech can be actionable. Fraud, assault, abuse, lying, stirring up trouble, harassment, doing someone out of a job, ruining a reputation, those are the things that can be identified. But someone saying, for example, "Oh, all Hungarian-American women are nothing but worthless thieving lazy baggage" doesn't injure me unless they cause someone to take action harming me. If, as is more likely to happen in the circles in which I move, they get dirty looks and comments like "that was a shitty thing to say, asshole", they had their free speech, they said what they said, they're not criminals, but they get a clear message that their ideas are disapproved of.

That's how it's supposed to work. Good people doing something to get it across to bad people that they'd better wise up, thanks, we want a good society around here.
And barring the public expression of that speech doesn't make the ideas go away, it just drives them underground.

I can see limited, exceptional cases where targeted speech bans might be justified, such as banning the Nazis and Nazi symbolism in Germany. (They obviously didn't cope so well with those, and we certainly don't want to make it easier for them to band together and get back into the governance business.) But I can't see why that would be necessary in the US or, for that matter, in the UK.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 6:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Make a big enough stink about the level of offence you feel and you will. The police are now regularly trawling the likes of twitter and FB to find people they can arrest and charge with "hate speech", for example, you can't call someone a "mong" anymore, or a spastic, or a flid, or gay, unless they are. You might not LIKE it, I certainly don't do it, but people OUGHT to be able to use the words.

This is a very slippery slope. Now we already have censorship of the press coming.
Sorry, I'm sceptical. I don't see that those people (your examples of words) would have committed an offence, and whether there would be a prosecution. I find that there is a lot of loose talk about people being prosecuted for using offensive language, but not that many actual cases where the police decided to pursue a prosecution, and actually succeeded in obtaining a conviction. And for obvious reasons, the police are reluctant to prosecute unless they have a good chance of a conviction.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 6:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

However, speech and publication is a form of action. The legislation in the UK, though not perfect .. apparently, it was first introduced in 1986 and amended on several occasions since ... is very limited in intent, and cannot be said to criminalise any thought or ideas.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 6:29 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by robin1234
However, speech and publication is a form of action..
Only in limited circumstances.

If I say that I hate you and hope that your future is an unpleasant one, then that's fine.

If I try to encourage others to kill you and provide my minions with details that would aid them in hastening your demise, then that would probably be conspiracy, which is a crime.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The line gets fuzzy with things like a diet of bile against 'scrounging foreigners' in tabloids, for example, which can incite violence in practice.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The line gets fuzzy with things like a diet of bile against 'scrounging foreigners' in tabloids, for example, which can incite violence in practice.
I wonder if it does. Mostly these things are caused by people with such room temperature IQs that I doubt they read tabloids.

Steve
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Curtis86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Curtis86
Well, more than 95% of those who go to Oxford and Cambridge come from private schools. Democracy isn't always such a privilege to everybody
Bollocks
"For 2012 entry, of UK students attending maintained or independent schools or colleges in the UK, 57.5% of places went to applicants from the state (maintained) sector and 42.5% to applicants from the independent sector: "

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_univer...hool_type.html

...and that has zero to do with "democracy"
"A state of society characterized by formal equality of rights and privileges"

Oxford and Cambridge has had it's fair share of scrutiny regarding the level of equality, based on social demographics in regards to their admissions. It's been publicized on numerous occasions.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

If I try to encourage others to kill you and provide my minions with details that would aid them in hastening your demise, then that would probably be conspiracy, which is a crime.
Even that is real tricky. There has now been two deaths of children in the US because of parents using the book “To Train Up a Child” and the author has never been charged and probably never will be even if more children are killed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/us...king.html?_r=0
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

He wont know, because its complete bullshit.
http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...dge-race-class

Not really...... Ok a little exaggerated, but pretty close.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's dangerous, and it's fueling an extremely irrational consensus.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Curtis86
Oxford and Cambridge has had it's fair share of scrutiny regarding the level of equality, based on social demographics in regards to their admissions. It's been publicized on numerous occasions.
So what, your "fact" is beyond tosh, whatever the publicity that its received. The point is that although only 10% of kids in the UK are privately educated, as MANY as 42% of Oxbridge candidates are from those institutions.
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 8:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

So what, your "fact" is beyond tosh, whatever the publicity that its received. The point is that although only 10% of kids in the UK are privately educated, as MANY as 42% of Oxbridge candidates are from those institutions.
But if students with a private school education are better prepared for an Oxford or Cambridge education, shouldn't they get the places?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.