Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Does anybody leave the USA?

Does anybody leave the USA?

Old May 4th 2009, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anybody leave the USA?

Hey everyone, I am fortunate to have dual citizenship and after 25 years in US am seriously considering moving back to UK. It won't be immediately - I came to US in 1984 for personal reasons - to see father I had not seen for over 20 years. I met him but it was rather disastrous as my stepmother could not accept children from his prior marriage and made life miserable for my brother and I. We had already been raised in children's home for most of our life (me from age 7-23) and to come out here has not always been what i expected. So I've been out in US for these past 25 years hoping to find a connection with a family who never gave a sod about me and my brother. my dad died in 2002 and I actually found out 3 months after fact from a mutual friend..I still feel after 25 years here I have stronger ties in UK than in US - I do go back as often as I can and there is a lot I miss. Every country has its problems but we tend to focus on that and not the good. Preston which I consider home is tremendously different than when I grew up there. Actually if and when I do move back I would like to live in Scotland. I really really miss English people, the countryside, the way of life and British humor..I have been terribly lonely out here and it can eat your soul and doubt your value as a human being. I know life is about choices and I do not regret coming to US but I do wish I had returned home a long time ago. Nothing can compensate for friends and family..
Old May 4th 2009, 1:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Hey everyone, I am fortunate to have dual citizenship and after 25 years in US am seriously considering moving back to UK. It won't be immediately - I came to US in 1984 for personal reasons - to see father I had not seen for over 20 years. I met him but it was rather disastrous as my stepmother could not accept children from his prior marriage and made life miserable for my brother and I. We had already been raised in children's home for most of our life (me from age 7-23) and to come out here has not always been what i expected. So I've been out in US for these past 25 years hoping to find a connection with a family who never gave a sod about me and my brother. my dad died in 2002 and I actually found out 3 months after fact from a mutual friend..I still feel after 25 years here I have stronger ties in UK than in US - I do go back as often as I can and there is a lot I miss. Every country has its problems but we tend to focus on that and not the good. Preston which I consider home is tremendously different than when I grew up there. Actually if and when I do move back I would like to live in Scotland. I really really miss English people, the countryside, the way of life and British humor..I have been terribly lonely out here and it can eat your soul and doubt your value as a human being. I know life is about choices and I do not regret coming to US but I do wish I had returned home a long time ago. Nothing can compensate for friends and family..
If you really miss English people, why would you move to Scotland? (If you do move to Scotland, you might want to avoid gaffes like that )
Old May 5th 2009, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving, I meant it to encompass all folks who live in the United Kingdom..
Old May 5th 2009, 9:05 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Dunroving, I meant it to encompass all folks who live in the United Kingdom..
I know, that. It's an easy mistake to make. I was just making a tongue in cheek comment to the effect that that up here, using the word "English" when you mean "British" might get you a Glasgow Kiss.
Old May 11th 2009, 3:22 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

It is tough being somewhere you don't want to be, or just not being where you want to be, but I have to say that there is a lot of old boll*cks on this thread.
I'm not sure how often many of you get back to the UK, but there are a lot of w@nkers over there too - they have them by the bucket load in fact. I hope to move back there one day, but make no mistake about it - it is no paradise.
Like all countries the US and the UK have their good points and bad points - if you don't want to be in one of the places look at what you can do to get out; if you can't get out then try to make the best of it, and bide your time until a suitable opportunity arises.

I've seen a couple of people mention "fake" US shop assistants in this thread - well here's the thing - when you go to a shop in the UK you will do well to find a shop assistant to help you if you are looking for something - they are all too busy texting their mates or skiving out the back. But you know what - really, who cares ?? Whether I move or not is not going to be based on the quality of shop assistants, nor police (they are w@nkers everywhere too), nor any one of the other 50,000 annoying things that I could care to mention.

So come on people - if you want to bitch about sh!tty things in any country that's fine - but using them as reasons to move halfway across the world - come on - get real.
Old May 11th 2009, 8:26 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
It is tough being somewhere you don't want to be, or just not being where you want to be, but I have to say that there is a lot of old boll*cks on this thread.
I'm not sure how often many of you get back to the UK, but there are a lot of w@nkers over there too - they have them by the bucket load in fact. I hope to move back there one day, but make no mistake about it - it is no paradise.
Like all countries the US and the UK have their good points and bad points - if you don't want to be in one of the places look at what you can do to get out; if you can't get out then try to make the best of it, and bide your time until a suitable opportunity arises.

I've seen a couple of people mention "fake" US shop assistants in this thread - well here's the thing - when you go to a shop in the UK you will do well to find a shop assistant to help you if you are looking for something - they are all too busy texting their mates or skiving out the back. But you know what - really, who cares ?? Whether I move or not is not going to be based on the quality of shop assistants, nor police (they are w@nkers everywhere too), nor any one of the other 50,000 annoying things that I could care to mention.

So come on people - if you want to bitch about sh!tty things in any country that's fine - but using them as reasons to move halfway across the world - come on - get real.

The voice of reason. Stuck back in the UK for 3 years now, but realized eventually that I have to make the most of it. I could carp on ad infinitum about the crap side of Britain, but I would only be winding myself up (along with the die-hard MBTTUK-ers), so what's the point?

Last edited by dunroving; May 11th 2009 at 8:31 pm. Reason: Bloody awful typing skills