Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Doctors shortage in US

Wikiposts

Doctors shortage in US

Old May 30th 2017, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doctors shortage in US

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
95-98% of the physician roles do not recognize medical training outside the USA.

The only way to become recognized is to retrain, in a USA medical residency program, applications for which are very competitive. When I was looking, there were only FIVE training (residency) places for potential OB/GYNs in the greater San Diego area. ie vacancies for five people wishing to work in that field.
What 3..5% DOES accept training then, out of interest ?

...and presumably exams and tests along the residency program ? How long does it take ? After the years in school, doing it again would be a daunting experience I suspect.
Old May 31st 2017, 2:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
What 3..5% DOES accept training then, out of interest ?

...and presumably exams and tests along the residency program ? How long does it take ? After the years in school, doing it again would be a daunting experience I suspect.
A mate of mine, who was a general surgeon in Japan, so anything from the hips up to the neck, for 8 years before moving to the US and she said she would have had to start from the beginning basically at that point and wasn't interested. She also said that unofficially, residency programs were reluctant to take on a foreign trained doctors to avoid issues in the work environment with different techniques, or having a resident that had more experience than those giving the training. This was just in the Boston and surrounding area, so it could be very different else where.
Old May 31st 2017, 2:47 pm
Banned

jsted is an unknown quantity at this point

Clearly must be some kind of shortage if you a foreign doc willing to work for the military forget about a GC they make you a citizen instantly!
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
95-98% of the physician roles do not recognize medical training outside the USA.

The only way to become recognized is to retrain, in a USA medical residency program, applications for which are very competitive. When I was looking, there were only FIVE training (residency) places for potential OB/GYNs in the greater San Diego area. ie vacancies for five people wishing to work in that field.
I have two friends, a husband and wife team that trained in India. One was an OB/GYN, the other a Urologist. Both worked for years in the NHS. When they came to the US, the only residency training they could obtain was Family Practice, and not even in the same state. I wonder if foreign trained docs get what places are left after the med students "match"?
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
How long does it take ? After the years in school, doing it again would be a daunting experience I suspect.
I think the shortest residency is three years - Family Medicine and Internal Med. Some residencies are as long as seven or eight years for some surgical specialities.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 12:10 pm
Banned

jsted is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a cousin who is finishing his residency next month he signed up a to a job in California (2 hrs from San Fran) $280k basic with a 50k sign on plus bonus, H1 sponsorship with premium processed Green Card

If that doesnt indicate a shortage and desperation to recruit people I dont know what does?
Old Jun 8th 2017, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the issue is that it's hard to get placement in residency programs and I believe you have to take the USMLE exams before that as well. I know a number of people, including my brother in law, who were trained in our country, and then came to the US for their MPH. During their MPH, they took the USMLE exams and applied to residency programs. Not all residency programs are open to them, just a few. My brother in law luckily got a spot at Howard University Hospital. Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn and Harlem Hospital also seem to be willing to accept these residents.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsted
I have a cousin who is finishing his residency next month he signed up a to a job in California (2 hrs from San Fran) $280k basic with a 50k sign on plus bonus, H1 sponsorship with premium processed Green Card

If that doesnt indicate a shortage and desperation to recruit people I dont know what does?
2 hrs from San Fran could mean less desirable places in the central valley. Still your cousin can move anywhere after he gets his green card.

Maybe Ozzidoc can comment, but I also think that $280K has to cover the physician's personal insurance. My friend is a urologist and told me that she could only move positions twice because the insurance company raises your rates everytime you move.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - cant reply at present as am entrenched with the recalcitrant children and my daily 4 hr commute. Someone pls message me the link to this thread to remind me to reply at the weekend - thanks muchly
Old Jul 13th 2017, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Another doctor shortage article

Providence Health plans cost-cutting campaign | State | nrtoday.com
Old Jul 13th 2017, 2:40 pm
Banned

expatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond reputeexpatdoc has a reputation beyond repute

280k would be the salary, malpractice coverage is covered by the employer in most cases