Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you like where you live?

Wikiposts

Do you like where you live?

Old Feb 22nd 2016, 8:26 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you like where you live?

I really like the southern caribbean, the grenadines specifically. Its sub-tropical really, thermo stable - low 30's all year round, very low pollution of any sort, excellent real food, booze is cheap, drink driving isnt illegal, low cost of living in most things, [well overall definitely cheaper than the uk] beautiful scenery and beaches, lovely people, low crime rate, english - no - british speaking, i can buy just about anything in the shops, christmas starts in december, easter mid march, did i mention all booze is cheap. They even make british beers on the island.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 8:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I have friends who live in BC. They lived in Osoyoos just across the border from Washington. Now they've moved to Penticton and bought a town house which wasn't expensive. It's a nice part of the Province, snows just a little in winter, warm but not too in summer, wine country also if you're into wines and the tasting of.
The smaller towns are indeed affordable, the biggest issue in those areas is employment, there tends to not be much employment, so housing stays low since there is little demand in much of those regions housing wise.

We looked into a few of the smaller area's but couldn't see how we could bring in the income needed.

as for neighbors being in an apartment we never see them, no idea who they are. Pretty much the norm to not know your neighbors in apartments, no real way to meet them without looking weird and knocking on their door for no apparent reason...lol

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 22nd 2016 at 8:37 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 8:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's not bad.

Previous town was a bit meh, nothing really wrong with it but a bit soulless.

Previous town to that, loved it.

Before that, town was more of a village and it was okay, but was a nice location.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:36 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

All I want from my neighbours is that they are quiet and leave me the hell alone. I happily reciprocate.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:44 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Chicago burbs.
Positives:
- nice park land
- good schools
- good restaurants and beer
- nice people
- nice summers
- Chicago is a great city and it's close

Negatives:
- ridiculous taxes and the sense that all of the money (except for that being spent on schools and parks) is being wasted
- extremely Midwestern: nice people but fairly uniformly conservative, Church-going, grew up in the area went to college in the area and their entire family is in the area, no sarcasm, no interest in any sport outside of football and baseball, somewhat passive aggressive in their approach, strong Stepford "keep up with Joneses" mentality
- winters can be a drag if you don't embrace them
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 4:34 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The smaller towns are indeed affordable, the biggest issue in those areas is employment, there tends to not be much employment, so housing stays low since there is little demand in much of those regions housing wise.

We looked into a few of the smaller area's but couldn't see how we could bring in the income needed.

as for neighbors being in an apartment we never see them, no idea who they are. Pretty much the norm to not know your neighbors in apartments, no real way to meet them without looking weird and knocking on their door for no apparent reason...lol
You're lucky to live in such an apartment building. My memories of apartment living were people upstairs wearing lead clod hoppers, a neighhbour downstairs playing the guitar at one in the morning and a couple next door whose sole existence was to see who could yell the loudest at each other

Last edited by dc koop; Feb 22nd 2016 at 4:36 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 5:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
All I want from my neighbours is that they are quiet and leave me the hell alone. I happily reciprocate.
It's the same for me. Next door on the right is a nice bloke though, he delivers bread and he always gives us free loaves, so I say hello to him and his wife when I see them.

Bloke across the road seems to keep abreast of what's going on and looks to have an in with the local fuzz, so I stay on his good side too. As for the rest, usually it's a case of 'oh, you live on this street too, then?'

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Chicago burbs.
Positives:
- nice park land
- good schools
- good restaurants and beer
- nice people
- nice summers
- Chicago is a great city and it's close

Negatives:
- ridiculous taxes and the sense that all of the money (except for that being spent on schools and parks) is being wasted
- extremely Midwestern: nice people but fairly uniformly conservative, Church-going, grew up in the area went to college in the area and their entire family is in the area, no sarcasm, no interest in any sport outside of football and baseball, somewhat passive aggressive in their approach, strong Stepford "keep up with Joneses" mentality
- winters can be a drag if you don't embrace them
You must be in Cook or DuPage County. Lake County has all the same positives (though being farther from the city is a positive to me, YMMV ...) and is closer to Wisconsin, which is many orders of magnitude nicer than Illinois. Also lower taxes. Seems to be less of the Stepfordness (outside of the Libertyville-Lake Forest-Highland Park end of things) but sadly more of the conservatism. Bit of a red collar county up here, I nearly shat myself when I saw a Bernie 2016 bumper sticker the other day. Wider sporting interests as well - lots of soccer players that I run into. Conversely, way too many hockey fans, so they lose me there, I hate that game.

That being said, I will never embrace an Illinois winter for as long as I live!
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

14f and Snowing.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:20 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
14f and Snowing.
Keep it. It's going to be 30 degrees warmer here today

I'm still crossing my fingers that the Euro model is correct and the snow will all fall on NW Indiana and Michigan tomorrow, where it belongs.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not expecting more than a few inches.

And we are supposed to get over freezing by the weekend.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not expecting more than a few inches.

And we are supposed to get over freezing by the weekend.
It seems like we have had more inches recently than usual, of rain , that is. Hopefully ho water shortage this year.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:10 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

78 F. Slightly cloudy but sunny, mountains sparkling, leaves starting to appear on the lilac bushes.

God it's tough living here but I'm hanging in there somehow

Last edited by dc koop; Feb 23rd 2016 at 6:15 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:11 am
I have a comma problem

78 F. Slightly cloudy but sunny, mountains sparkling, leaves starting to appear on the lilac bushes.

God it's tough living here but I'm hanging in somehow
I don't know how you do it, your strength of character is an inspiration to us all

Actually, it's lovely out today, for late February.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I don't know how you do it, your strength of character is an inspiration to us all

Actually, it's lovely out today, for late February.
It's a challenge. Every morning I look out my kitchen window, see the sun come up over the mountains, the flocks of wild parrots squawking their way westwards and a blue bird hopping across the lawn. I grit my teeth and resolve to somehow make it through another day of this hell on earth

Glad to hear the weather's being kind to you today BTW
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a challenge. Every morning I look out my kitchen window, see the sun come up over the mountains, the flocks of wild parrots squawking their way westwards and a blue bird hopping across the lawn. I grit my teeth and resolve to somehow make it through another day of this hell on earth

Glad to hear the weather's being kind to you today BTW
Those squawking parrots must make life tough. I can trade some ducks and geese that live in our pond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.