Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?

Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?

Those who wish to have the beliefs of group A respected by members of group B should consider switching groups and reading this thread again.

HIGHLY OFFENSIVE!

Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E17Avenue
Those who wish to have the beliefs of group A respected by members of group B should consider switching groups and reading this thread again.

HIGHLY OFFENSIVE!

OK I'm confused.... which "side" is offensive?

Who is A and who is B?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

Don't make me read through the entire thread and cut quotes from every other post.

Just pretend you're a Christian and read it through. Then wonder who respects whose wishes and beliefs.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Don't make me read through the entire thread and cut quotes from every other post.

Just pretend you're a Christian and read it through. Then wonder who respects whose wishes and beliefs.
Imo, you don't have to respect other people's beliefs. There are plenty of beliefs I don't respect at all. I think they're frankly stupid and ridiculous - that's my right to think so.

However, what I do respect, is the right for people to have whatever belief they want, as long as they don't cram it down my throat.

I don't think you'll find anyone in this thread saying Christians shouldn't believe what they want - it's the attempt to get others to believe the same they have a problem with.

If you find it offensive - well, either don't read it - noone's forcing you. Or go ahead and put forth your position, if you care to.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
For brain damage, I wonder which is worse - US bible thumpers or militant Islam!

-----
Actually, there is potentially more of a crossover there than meets the eye. Having spent a lot of time working with the US military, it is quite astounding as to the religious undercurrent running through the US Forces - after all, the military is just a reflection of society. To the average Brit, its quite amazing to hear the amount of reference to religion you hear on a daily basis when working with the US, and how this war machine is blessed by the Lord, and so on - its hard not to draw reference to modern day crusaders, if you like.

While not doubting the professionalism of the US Forces (and there of plenty of serving people who are not religious at all), after working with them for any length of time, you do notice the high proportions of this religious undercurrent, and you do have to wonder if sometimes it does colour judgement slightly; or if not, at least provides justification for certain actions.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

You are shoving the belief down people's throats that Christians are what you say they are.

Pot, meet kettle.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

If I, as a religious person, shove religious beliefs down your throat, that is the same as you, a non-religious person, shoving non-religious "beliefs" down my throat.

Both unwanted. If you don't like what Christians say, find a polite way out of the conversation. Don't bash us and expect us to disappear from what is obviously a highly abusive thread.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:40 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

... Both unwanted. If you don't like what Christians say, find a polite way out of the conversation. Don't bash us and expect us to disappear from what is obviously a highly abusive thread.
This is MY thread! If you're not happy with it - leave it!

----

Last edited by britex01; Jan 10th 2008 at 3:10 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:45 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

If I, as a religious person, shove religious beliefs down your throat, that is the same as you, a non-religious person, shoving non-religious "beliefs" down my throat.

Both unwanted. If you don't like what Christians say, find a polite way out of the conversation. Don't bash us and expect us to disappear from what is obviously a highly abusive thread.
Were only talking about some of the people we've met and the experiences we've had...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Were only talking about some of the people we've met and the experiences we've had...
...and generalising these experiences across 1 billion people or more...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:19 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

...and generalising these experiences across 1 billion people or more...
No more no less than do religious fanatics!

Accept that Lisag is right... this thread is concerned with one's own personal experiences... not some charged-up bull in a china shop, postulating against those individuals who do not wish to be swayed or 'bullied' by conformist orthodoxy.

----
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

All opinion are acceptable here ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:33 pm
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by Dan725
.... To the average Brit, its quite amazing to hear the amount of reference to religion you hear on a daily basis when working with the US, and how this war machine is blessed by the Lord, and so on - its hard not to draw reference to modern day crusaders, if you like. .
It is said history repeats itself. Is mankind, I wonder, returning to a former age, but a worse one?

It's a crazy world we live in, for sure.

----
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:53 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
It is said history repeats itself. Is mankind, I wonder, returning to a former age, but a worse one?

It's a crazy world we live in, for sure.

----
Did some countries ever really completely move on from that stage?

Anyway, if anyone mentions religion to me I now say that I have a problem with organised religion and that is why I do not go to church. If pushed I won't say categorically that I do not believe in God etc. because it just isn't worth the trouble. I will usually say something along the lines of: "I do not believe we are all that there is", which is ambiguous enough to get away with (I do believe there is a very high likelihood that life exists elsewhere in the universe).
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are shoving the belief down people's throats that Christians are what you say they are.

Pot, meet kettle.
That's just plain silly. First of all, I never said whether or not I was in fact a Christian - you know nothing about me, whether I am religious or non-religious. I could be Christian, Jewish, or a devil-worshipper for all you know.

Secondly, I am not shoving any beliefs down anyone's throat - they're perfectly free to make their own conclusions.

Thirdly, I didn't say Christians - or certianly not all Christians - shoved beliefs (although some do) - I simply said that was the only thing I objected to, if ANYONE did it.

You might like to read a bit more carefully.

I have not suggested you change your beliefs in the slightest - again you are jumping to completely unwarranted conclusions.

I didn't bash anyone.

If you read back just a little, politely getting out of the conversation was what I suggested, in order to not hurt Christians feelings.

I did not expect you to disappear - I suggested not reading it if you didn't want to - OR putting forth your opinion if you cared to.

You are assuming a tremendous amount, and not reading what I've actually said, and quite overreacting imo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.