Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?

Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?

Old Dec 23rd 2007, 3:58 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?

Originally Posted by Tracym
Not his best religion choice for here.
Why not?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n13897025
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Not criticising the religion.

But at 62.4 million out of a populat of around 303 million - they are a definite minority. And I think in today's climate, not too many non-Catholics would vote for a Catholic. So if he was after votes...

Fair or not...
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Do you have American God-fearing in-laws, who have never stepped outside of America, mentally or physically
No, they're Jewish....
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 8:30 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
<--- agnostic, socially-liberal, fiscally conservative/capitalist/states-rights/libertarian American who is deeply upset by the wave of fundementalist, creationism-touting zealotry that has swept this country in the past 20 years. There are a lot of us out there and we're getting a little sick of all of this bullshit.
The more the merrier.

---
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:13 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Send your Mother in Law this and say that you've seen the light.....

Can you see Jesus also or is it just me?
Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?-jesus-jpg.jpg
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:22 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Being in the deep south I was expecting to have the bible shoved down my throat by everyone I met in this area, but thankfully that hasn't happened. The OH's family are all southern baptist, but have accepted that the OH herself no longer goes to church or keeps her faith (she's not been in 20 years) and have no problem about me being athiest.

Our wedding is going to be done with a judge who is also a minister so it doesn't have a religious meaning to make me ok, but there can be a short blessing at the end to heep the rest of the family happy.

Saying that, just yesterday when the OH and I were in the local health centre to get a blood test done for the marriage license, she was chatting to an old friend of hers who was pestering the shit out of her to go back to church "You need to get back into Church.... we have such a lovely Church, please come and see us... bring your englishman to church with you, I am sure he'd love it". I just had to sit there and smile and nod while they talked. I've been put in my place before by the OH about not being too honest with people since we live in a small community. Bugger.

But still, only one religious nut in the 2 months I have been in Mississippi isn't bad going I guess.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

Before I get in trouble for joining in this conversation, shouldn't it be "taken outside"???

I'll leave it at this:

NOT ALL CHRISTIANS ARE THE SAME.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:29 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E17Avenue
Before I get in trouble for joining in this conversation, shouldn't it be "taken outside"???

I'll leave it at this:

No one particularly disputes this, except in many cases, church goers in the south believe that everyone should attend church and to and hell and back with what other folk decide for themselves, morally and spiritually.

For brain damage, I wonder which is worse - US bible thumpers or militant Islam!

-----
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E17Avenue

I'll leave it at this:

Bleedin Methodist.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:41 pm
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by Knight
... I just had to sit there and smile and nod while they talked..
It's a bugger, isn't it, when one feels compelled to sit through that type of scenario. But thar yer go... all for the sake of keeping the peace, eh? ..

---
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
It's a bugger, isn't it, when one feels compelled to sit through that type of scenario. But thar yer go... all for the sake of keeping the peace, eh? ..

---
I think a basic "problem" is that the Christian viewpoint is that

They are right, and have seen the light
Anyone who doesn't go to a Christian church is misguided
It's their duty to help them see the light.

So they believe that by trying to convert you, they are helping you out and saving you from an afterlife of eternal torment.

They are not going to change their minds - unfortunately, some people are then uncomfortable. But I suppose can be a kindness to just keep quiet, because to do otherwise basically challenges their beliefs.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tracym;5765623..........they believe that by trying to convert you, they are helping you out and saving you from an afterlife of eternal torment.........[/QUOTE]

Attached Thumbnails Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?-judge-c.jpg  
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:08 pm
In yonder hills

Tracym: .... I think a basic "problem" is that the Christian viewpoint is that. They are right, and have seen the light.

They are always right because they go to church where they're told what is right.

Anyone who doesn't go to a Christian church is misguided

Those that don't attend church are not keeping preachers in work.

It's their duty to help them see the light.

The light is a fixation attached to a belief that only God will shine hope on those that grovel and worship Him.

So they believe that by trying to convert you, they are helping you out and saving you from an afterlife of eternal torment.

Esoterically, this planet is the 'Red Star', the world of Illusion. Eat that, preacher!

They are not going to change their minds

No, because they are always right, in the 'light', at church. They know of no other existence.

- unfortunately, some people are then uncomfortable.

That be our eternal damnation.

But I suppose can be a kindness to just keep quiet, because to do otherwise basically challenges their beliefs

A belief is a belief is a belief. What of other folk's beliefs?

---

Last edited by britex01; Jan 9th 2008 at 10:21 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:18 pm
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by Elvira
Bosch? That work portrays our hell on earth and its imprint in spirit - the delusional masses.

---
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, I suppose they are not "respecting" other folks beliefs. But their motive (annoying though it can be) is kindness. They have been taught that other folks (non-belief) is misguided and harmful to them, and they're trying to help.

If one argues the point - nothing will change in their mind. They will not think they were wrong, and stop trying to convert people.

So, since it's just annoying, not really hurtful (generally) why not just be polite and say no thanks, or "oh, well thanks for the offer" and change the subject, try to defuse the situation.

I guess I personally would save my arguing for an argument where I can accomplish something - not just have more people upset.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.