Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?

Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?

Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:03 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?

Originally Posted by Redlippie
circumcision has nothing to do with religion unless they're Jewish or Muslim
Relippie, I don't want to turn this into a thread on circumcision, but they do it because it's tradition. That's all. People of the Book do it - so we'll do it.

Stupid, stupid barbaric practice.

Okay. Ends threadjack!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Relippie, I don't want to turn this into a thread on circumcision, but they do it because it's tradition. That's all. People of the Book do it - so we'll do it.

Stupid, stupid barbaric practice.

Okay. Ends threadjack!
Again, not debating. I think it's done a lot in the US for other than religious reasons - was thought more hygenic, and just became something most/many did.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:05 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
They do tend to be just a tadge bit serious about their religion as you are finding out.
A tadge? Is that like a tad? Or a tadger? See, back to the penises again. Oy vey!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
A tadge? Is that like a tad? Or a tadger? See, back to the penises again. Oy vey!
Got that bit on the brain today, do ya?
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:09 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

We live in the south, with a church on every corner and the biggest load of hypocrites I've ever seen ... bleh!
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We live in the south, with a church on every corner and the biggest load of hypocrites I've ever seen ... bleh!
Some religious folks can be lovely. But when they aren't - hypocrites indeed.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:18 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
I know it's close to Christmas, but...

Do you have American God-fearing in-laws, who have never stepped outside of America, mentally or physically?

Hitherto, my US wife has lived and experienced Britain for about three years, and is quite open-minded about our secular Brit views on religion and the fact that only about 16% of our indigenous Christian population attend church as opposed to about 57% in the United States.:
I am never sure about the default setting given on these sort of stats - the default seems to be "Christian lazy" rather than secular - i.e. one has to express a real preference to be secular or "Christian active" (or any other flavour) but if no clearly understood preference is stated, they default towards "Christian lazy".

I am sure that most Brits I know, if asked, would say "Christian" in a sort of unthinking, "well that's what my parents were" kind of way, but if asked about Darwinism, or how come all those billions of Hindu's have got it wrong about God or those Jews are wrong about Jesus (and on) would probably find all of their real beliefs falling into the secular bin.

Anyway, hijack over, I pity you having to put up with that.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:23 pm
Peace onion

Hopefully, I'll be a USer soon. I don't know who I'll vote for.

I was born ultra-conservative, and grew up liking Thatcher, Reagan etc.
I couldn't stand the sheep at college with their right-on, leftie politics, their uniform non-conformist uniforms...

But as I've got older - and at odds with Churchill's observation about not being a conservative in your 40s (I'm 34) - I've found myself becoming somewhat more liberal.

Anyway, where am I going with this? Ah yes, I don't know if there is an invisible sky wizard or not, but I would like to see a presidential candidate respond to the question of their religion with the following: "I wont answer that. Faith and belief are personal matters."

Not making much sense. Tired. Watching the snow falling out the window.
Lovely. Maybe there is a God. It's certainly very beautiful.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:23 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know that DFW has over 900 SB churches, and that Houston has in the region of 1000!

Confront the literal word freaks with this:

In Isaiah are words 'spoken by God' along the lines of:

"I the Lord God created heaven and earth

I the Lord God created light and darkness

I the Lord God created good and evil

I the Lord God created all these things"

Last edited by britex01; Dec 21st 2007 at 11:33 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:27 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I am never sure about the default setting given on these sort of stats - the default seems to be "Christian lazy"
Actively engaged.

--
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have American God-fearing in-laws, who have never stepped outside of America, mentally or physically?
No
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by surly
No
Short but sweet...
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Short but sweet...
Sounds like a yes or no question to me.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:36 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Hitherto, my US wife has lived and experienced Britain for about three years, and is quite open-minded about our secular Brit views on religion and the fact that only about 16% of our indigenous Christian population attend church as opposed to about 57% in the United States.

Although my wife is currently in the States her mother is pissed off with her daughter - my wife - because these days my wife won't freely attend church in the States anymore (she's Southern Baptist). The mother-in-law is now posting me bloody Web-congesting 'forwards' about the stance of God in God's everyday social and domestic circles in the United States.

Moreover, she recently sent me an email, 'lamenting' that her daughter will never again find peace and happiness unless she 'reunites with God' (my wife is quite happy, thank you). Underlying is written her resentment towards British secular-minded attitudes and, I suspect, an hostility (albeit guarded) aimed at the fact that I am not a practicing 'God-fearing' individual (why 'fear' what you're supposed to be a part of anyhow? Beats me).

My adult wife, fortunately, does possess a mind of her own. She decides for herself on all issues pertaining to life and spirit. But to what extent are US in-laws religious attitudes directed at we secular Brit guys who marry their daughters, and indeed, our women who marry their sons?

In my case I think I am being hammered for leading one US daughter 'astray'.

Well, yeahhh!!! ...
Have you secretly married my wife? The tirades I have put up with from her mother are hard to believe. My wife was brought up a 'christian' - this often involved her insane mother beating her and her brother with wooden spoons for imagined transgressions, throwing out all their toys because they are the work of the devil and other such insane nonsense. My wife has always known me to be an athiest and neither of us have tried to change the others views. However, Mrs Sod is now of the opinion, perhaps having been exposed to a culture outside that of the small town mid-west variety, that it is all a crock of shit, a fairy tale for adults.

She has come to this conclusion on her own as I have always been happy for her to hold religious beliefs if they made her feel happy and secure. So, IT IS NOT ME!!! is what I am saying. Oh dear. Tell that to the monster in law. i am one of satans happy little helpers apparently. She now hates me so much that she no longer even bothers to send me those stupid email forwards or even the stupid ones about immigration and/or islam. (Which is f cukng great!!!) The thing is, the woman is the least christian person I have ever met, she is mean spirited, cruel to everybody, has no friends, half her family wont speak to her and then she blames this on god punishing her for whatever reason. Probably, IMO, for beating her kids with wooden spoons but who am I to say.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:44 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
..........i am one of satans happy little helpers apparently......
Are you the guy in red then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbmzdmF3Mw4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.