Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?

Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?

Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:08 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?

Originally Posted by Xebedee
grapefruit besk lamp jackstand

Best act sharpish, right about now he's probably trying to balance the grapefruit whilst not electrocute himself as he gets the Pinto up to the required height.

Its a tricky operation, lets hope he makes it thru ok.
He got a manual from the library.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:58 am
C.C
Geordie Lass

C.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really nice
Default Re: Do you have American God-fearing in-laws?

Originally Posted by britex01
I know it's close to Christmas, but...

Do you have American God-fearing in-laws, who have never stepped outside of America, mentally or physically?

Hitherto, my US wife has lived and experienced Britain for about three years, and is quite open-minded about our secular Brit views on religion and the fact that only about 16% of our indigenous Christian population attend church as opposed to about 57% in the United States.

Although my wife is currently in the States her mother is pissed off with her daughter - my wife - because these days my wife won't freely attend church in the States anymore (she's Southern Baptist). The mother-in-law is now posting me bloody Web-congesting 'forwards' about the stance of God in God's everyday social and domestic circles in the United States.

Moreover, she recently sent me an email, 'lamenting' that her daughter will never again find peace and happiness unless she 'reunites with God' (my wife is quite happy, thank you). Underlying is written her resentment towards British secular-minded attitudes and, I suspect, an hostility (albeit guarded) aimed at the fact that I am not a practicing 'God-fearing' individual (why 'fear' what you're supposed to be a part of anyhow? Beats me).

My adult wife, fortunately, does possess a mind of her own. She decides for herself on all issues pertaining to life and spirit. But to what extent are US in-laws religious attitudes directed at we secular Brit guys who marry their daughters, and indeed, our women who marry their sons?

In my case I think I am being hammered for leading one US daughter 'astray'.

Well, yeahhh!!! ...
Im sorry to have just jumped in so late, but I just saw this thread and wanted to have my tuppence halfpenny;s worth.

When I first came to the US, I was told when you meet aunt$%^& and uncle #$%^& dont talk about religion. The reason being as my then fiance, now husband, said if they find out we dont go to church they will turn us into a project and try to "Heal" us. Thankfully I listened. I love them all dearly and its not just the old folkies that do this. Being a Brit and not being used to such a public display of faith it shocked me. I did however respect them and at times have held hands and prayed, said grace before lunch in a Mcdonalds even, but its not for me. I do however repsect there beliefs, but I would hate to have such intrusion into my life telling me what I should beleive. If we respect some ones faith why cant they respect our abstinence.