Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you find the workplace/workers more casual here?

Do you find the workplace/workers more casual here?

Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:44 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find the workplace/workers more casual here?

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
What the US?!?!?! No I bleedin' don't. Most people seem to take their jobs very seriously here, even the most menial ones. There's little to no larking around, piss-taking or craic. Most people are either busy brown-nosing, scoring brownie points while being generally serious and uptight. To have fun at work is seen as unprofessional and not take your job seriously. Heaven forbid you poke fun at co-workers or the boss. Very brainwashed and interested in climbing to the next rung of the ladder. Maybe it's just my business or an LA attitude??
It must just be LA.

There's a guy here that wears a Mickey Mouse tie, and we are allowed to wear jeans on Fridays. We did get a Christmas party last year, but we had to chip in for the food and drink and work an extra hour to make up the time it took.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
We did get a Christmas party last year, but we had to chip in for the food and drink and work an extra hour to make up the time it took.
Is your boss named Scrooge as well?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

It must just be LA.

There's a guy here that wears a Mickey Mouse tie, and we are allowed to wear jeans on Fridays. We did get a Christmas party last year, but we had to chip in for the food and drink and work an extra hour to make up the time it took.
Are you serious
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:49 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Are you serious
Yes.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:50 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

What the US?!?!?! No I bleedin' don't. Most people seem to take their jobs very seriously here, even the most menial ones. There's little to no larking around, piss-taking or craic. Most people are either busy brown-nosing, scoring brownie points while being generally serious and uptight. To have fun at work is seen as unprofessional and not take your job seriously. Heaven forbid you poke fun at co-workers or the boss. Very brainwashed and interested in climbing to the next rung of the ladder. Maybe it's just my business or an LA attitude??
I agree with you entirely: So in fairness maybe limited to Cal? What I fnd most amazing is the presentism as opposed to actually getting stuff done. Its almost like a Japanese game show of endurance for no practical purpose other than O.B.N' ism.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:53 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Is your boss named Scrooge as well?
The "Boss" is a corporate monstrosity. Our Account supervisor is cool as hell but she is constrained by Corporate.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:07 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

It must just be LA.

The year before last we went bowling at 'Lucky strike' in Hollywood;

http://www.bowlluckystrike.com/

The object was that everyone would bond and get loose while bowling, and all that team building stuff
Myself and a few guys got there early before my boss who was picking up the tab and expensing it as a corporate event. I ordered a beer and paid for it myself. The other guys would not even order a beer or soda before my boss arrived to open the tab in case they had to shell out the $5 themselves as I had.
After the 'fun' was over and the alloted 2 hours for our group bowling was done , the boss paid and closed the tab. The place cleared like there was a fire and I was left with only one other employee, holding a fresh beer I just ordered. Not the first time I've seen that 'fun' is serious business in the US, needing organization, time limits and defined structure
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:08 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Are you serious
Mickey Mouse tie? Do you work with a David Brent?

Sad to my mind. But at least he had a Christmas party. I do find the PC'ism around the bland non denominational holidays season is awful. I personally don't care much for Chrimbo. Ironic that GB is such a secular country and Christmas is celebrated for other purposes. No one seems to get upset and its a multicultural society. Far left councils are popularly ridiculed for PC Chrimbo policies. Suppose the difference is since the holiday allowances are longer you can easily escape if you want.....

Of course they have the generous 2 days for Thanks turkey here which seems to involve people madly flying somewhere for a day or so of family discord....

Last edited by Kali-forniarrr; Jul 31st 2008 at 4:12 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:10 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

The object was that everyone would bond and get loose while bowling, and all that team building stuff
Myself and a few guys got there early before my boss who was picking up the tab and expensing it as a corporate event. I ordered a beer and paid for it myself. The other guys would not even order a beer or soda before my boss arrived to open the tab in case they had to shell out the $5 themselves as I had.
After the 'fun' was over and the alloted 2 hours for our group bowling was done , the boss paid and closed the tab. The place cleared like there was a fire and I was left with only one other employee, holding a fresh beer I just ordered. Not the first time I've seen that 'fun' is serious business in the US, needing organization, time limits and defined structure
What day of the week was it and did any of them have kids would be my question.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:11 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
Mickey Mouse tie? Do you work with a David Brent?
I was thinking more Colin Hunt from the Fast show;

Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:12 pm
Banned

I was in an office where we had a celebration for a project going live...at the designated hour everyone got up "celebrated" for the alloted 45 minutes. When the time was up everyone sat down and continued working in quiet. Odd.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

The "Boss" is a corporate monstrosity. Our Account supervisor is cool as hell but she is constrained by Corporate.
So is my husband's "boss"
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ugacrew
What day of the week was it and did any of them have kids would be my question.
I forgot to hand out the survey before the bowling fun ensued FFS.
I do hope you are taking the piss otherwise you just proved my point
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:14 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

It must just be LA.

Since our office is just a satellite office and small (only 4 of us here, most of the time) things are pretty laidback-ie the boss wears jeans and a tee shirt and flip flops to work in the summer. I'm just happy to wear slacks or a dress and sandals. Casual day is Friday. Some different than the office I worked at when I was pregnant with my son years ago. You COULD wear a pantsuit, but only if it were a three piece jobbie.

As for a Christmas party-our HQ is in ATL, and they have taken to having a dinner party at a restaurant there in January for a holiday celebration. However, since it's 300 miles away and mainly people I could care less about socializing with, it's not high on my to do list, so I don't. I paid my dues as an Army wife socializing whether I felt like it or not.

I would rather whoop it up with folks I know and like.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I forgot to hand out the survey before the bowling fun ensued FFS.
I do hope you are taking the piss otherwise you just proved my point
Come on.... You know she's trying to establish whether they had to get home for other reasons.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.