Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do Lays taste like Walkers or do Walkers now taste like Lays?

Do Lays taste like Walkers or do Walkers now taste like Lays?

Old May 21st 2020, 1:22 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Lays taste like Walkers or do Walkers now taste like Lays?

Originally Posted by robtuck
It surprises me that flavoured crisps haven't really taken off in the USA given they are owned by the same company. You'd think they would go for an Armadillo flavoured pack down here for example, to replace Hedgehog. Certainly Cheese and Onion is hardly pushing boundaries and most cooking shows give a shout out to Worcesersire Sauce these days, so why not the crisps having a home?

I see more and more of this but nothing like what I once saw in Thailand. They have the most insane flavored crisps there. No idea what half of them even were.

Old May 21st 2020, 1:24 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a better pic from a 7-11 in Thailand.

Old May 21st 2020, 1:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Here is a better pic from a 7-11 in Thailand.

That's an impressive array. Are those sushi-flavoured crisps see there?

Last edited by Lion in Winter; May 21st 2020 at 1:48 pm. Reason: Grammar!
Old May 21st 2020, 1:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I believe the recipe is changed according to the climate. Cadbury’s in NZ has the same taste as the UK...I was told that was because the climate is similar.
Chocolate is very temperature sensitive, and if you allow it to get too warm the sugar leaches out of the chocolate leaving a white film on the surface that could be mistaken for mildew - it is completely harmless, but effectively renders the product unsaleable. This used to cause great concern for my managers when I worked for the owner of Terry's chocolate as some Terry's chocolates were distributed via unairconditioned warehousing, so heatwave conditions in the UK could cause a problem.
Old May 21st 2020, 2:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Chocolate is very temperature sensitive, and if you allow it to get too warm the sugar leaches out of the chocolate leaving a white film on the surface that could be mistaken for mildew - it is completely harmless, but effectively renders the product unsaleable. This used to cause great concern for my managers when I worked for the owner of Terry's chocolate as some Terry's chocolates were distributed via unairconditioned warehousing, so heatwave conditions in the UK could cause a problem.
Wait, what? You worked for Terry's Chocolate Oranges and you left? What is the matter with you man?
Old May 21st 2020, 3:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Wait, what? You worked for Terry's Chocolate Oranges and you left? What is the matter with you man?
Are you asking for a list?

"I had a better offer" is the short answer - but I was better at that job than my colleagues and was told by one of them that I was "killing the job", which I took to be a complement. My supervisors at that time knew I did good work, as did the site managers, and I could probably have stayed if I had wanted to. I guess I would be in a very different place today if I had.
Old May 21st 2020, 3:21 pm

That's an impressive array. Are those sushi-flavoured crisps see there?
There were a few seaweed flavoured ones we tried. A couple of others were basically spicey-hot and we avoided.
Old May 21st 2020, 5:11 pm

There were a few seaweed flavoured ones we tried. A couple of others were basically spicey-hot and we avoided.

Crab curry flavour sounds a bit dodgy.
Old May 21st 2020, 5:13 pm

Are you asking for a list?

I guess I would be in a very different place today if I had.
No, not enough time for the list, but Free Chocolate Oranges for Life.

Hey, wait, I need a job...

[runs off to look at chocolate orange job listings]
Old May 21st 2020, 5:24 pm

No, not enough time for the list, but Free Chocolate Oranges for Life. .....
"Free." Terry's products were treated like gold bullion, not just the chocolate oranges either, and they weren't even sold in the company shop.

Terry's York plant closed in 2005 and now production is variously located in Belgium, Sweden, Poland, and Slovakia.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 21st 2020 at 5:28 pm.
Old May 21st 2020, 5:30 pm

"Free." Terry's products were treated like gold bullion, not just the chocolate oranges either, and they weren't even sold in the company shop.

Terry's York plant closed in 2005 and now production is variously located in Belgium, Sweden, Poland, and Slovakia.
I could do Belgium, because I could revive my French. The other languages are a bit tricky.
Old May 21st 2020, 6:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I can think of three to trump that, Cadbury’s, Thornton’s and Lindt...in that order .
Old May 21st 2020, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Japan has a fine array of seaweed-flavoured crisps.
Old May 22nd 2020, 12:51 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I can think of three to trump that, Cadbury’s, Thornton’s and Lindt...in that order .
I'd take Galaxy chocolate over all 3 of those.
Old May 25th 2020, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Back in my school days when I was out on the moors every weekend there was some stuff that never left my rucksack (we called it 'get out of sh*t kit') which included a large bar of Cadbury's. Every once in a blue moon it was decided to renew the bar or, more rarely, needed to get out of sh*t. The bar had always turned white and gave what is possibly the best tasting chocolate to come out of any Cadbury's factory, it became a challenge to let it fester in the rucksack for as long as we could deny ourselves. The same happened with Mars bars but thanks to the sealed wrapper it took that much longer to mature, so it was rare treat when one was found lurking forgotten someplace, more often than not at the bottom of a BDH cannister (older canoeists know exactly what I'm talking about).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.