Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do americans live excessively beyond their means ?

Do americans live excessively beyond their means ?

Old Jul 3rd 2014, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do americans live excessively beyond their means ?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I've always wondered how the 50's and 60's were like, my grandparents had 6 kids on my dads side, only grandfather worked, no college, good job ended up president of the company when he retired in late 80's.

My parents were solid middle class when I was a kid, good jobs.

None of my cousins, siblings or me are better off or equal to where our parents were at this stage of life, even the college educated ones.

Things really appear to have changed for the worse. Cant even buy a house now without 6 figure income where I have lived, rent isn't even affordable.

Seems the government and people prefer low wages and governments making up the difference for rent, food etc via assistance programs vs companies paying a living wage.
Yes if I compare my dad's working life to my husband's it's amazing. My dad left school at 15 and did an apprenticeship, moved up in the same company all his life and retired at 55. He had his own secretary who did all his correspondence, booking travel etc. Their house cost the equivalent of one year's salary in the 1970's. Great final salary pension. Still complained bitterly that Denis Healy had ruined his life (Unfortunately for me he managed to blow every penny before he died as well, but that's another story).
Old Jul 4th 2014, 1:27 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I happen to remember two of my parents' house prices..

1953; £800 (that house sold a couple of years ago for £890,000)
1973; £15,000 (sold in 2006 for £780,000)
Old Jul 4th 2014, 4:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I happen to remember two of my parents' house prices..

1953; £800 (that house sold a couple of years ago for £890,000)
1973; £15,000 (sold in 2006 for £780,000)
My aunt owns a house in San Diego, she bought it in the early 70's, and now its worth over 1.5 million, I think she said it cost 40,000 new when they bought it.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The story in my husband's family has always been that his uncle has a nice fortune salted away, with much rubbing of hands by the other family members. He's recently had to go into residential care and now they have actually examined his assets as they are needed to contribute to his care. An ex-local authority maisonette decorated in Steptoe style and £25,000
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:39 am
Wabi Sabi

Pearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Well isn't the consumer at fault if they spend more than they can comfortably afford?
Well, this article is a start in learning who is at fault: How Marketers Manipulate Us to Buy, Buy, Buy | World of Psychology

Who do you think has more resources and education? Average consumers or giant corporations and banks? Who has the most power to get people to act against their own interests? Yes, I'm all for personal responsibility, but we should have corporate responsibility, too.

And I won't even begin to point out what out-of-control healthcare costs has done to so many people...
Old Jul 4th 2014, 1:08 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My aunt owns a house in San Diego, she bought it in the early 70's, and now its worth over 1.5 million, I think she said it cost 40,000 new when they bought it.
Was recently talking to an American relative who bought a 4-bed house for his growing family in the mid-60s here in the northeast USA. The price was $50K--now that house is worth a million. Amazing what time & inflation can do.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pearlgirl
Well, this article is a start in learning who is at fault: How Marketers Manipulate Us to Buy, Buy, Buy | World of Psychology

Who do you think has more resources and education? Average consumers or giant corporations and banks? Who has the most power to get people to act against their own interests? Yes, I'm all for personal responsibility, but we should have corporate responsibility, too.

And I won't even begin to point out what out-of-control healthcare costs has done to so many people...
So it's ok to blame the sweet shop that has sweets, etc in their store window if an obese person continues to gain weight?
Old Jul 4th 2014, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So it's ok to blame the sweet shop that has sweets, etc in their store window if an obese person continues to gain weight?
Maybe, if they're putting HFCS in all your food as well.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Maybe, if they're putting HFCS in all your food as well.
Yep, because looking at food labels is pretty hard to do.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 12:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes if I compare my dad's working life to my husband's it's amazing. My dad left school at 15 and did an apprenticeship, moved up in the same company all his life and retired at 55. He had his own secretary who did all his correspondence, booking travel etc. Their house cost the equivalent of one year's salary in the 1970's. Great final salary pension. Still complained bitterly that Denis Healy had ruined his life (Unfortunately for me he managed to blow every penny before he died as well, but that's another story).
I am not sure how much my dad has socked away if any, he has a house and good job though. He is 56, and can retire anytime after 60, and I don't think he has any plans to work a day past 60.

My mom had a good job up until cancer in 2003, due to cancer treatment causing some other health issues, she was no longer physically able to do her career job (paramedic) so now works in a hotel for 10.50/hr, another example of getting ill can really side track one's life.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:04 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article. Coming from a semi-retail background I'm sure what's listed there is just the tip of the iceberg. People have brains that they can use to decide whether to buy something or not, but the emotional side is much more powerful, and that's where the manipulation occurs.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:02 pm
Wabi Sabi

Pearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to allPearlgirl is a name known to all

Of course not, but people also like to blame temptation on Satan, not themselves.

I'm just trying to point out that most sheeple don't have the time or wherewithal to contemplate each decision with the gravity it may deserve. But, you can best believe that major corporations have the lawyers, social scientists, and marketers that can herd you through the chute of financial ruin (or obesity).

I think it's a shame that the USA has become just about the most materialistic society ever, but I don't blame it on the greed of the average Joe Schmo; I blame it on the greed of corporations and their henchman, politicians.

There is also a very strong correlation between the rise of obesity and the rise of low-cost food-like products (e.g., soda, potato chips, crackers, cookies, etc.). Also, there is a major link between obesity and poverty because "real food" costs more. It is only recently that humans have had sweets available to them 24-7. Evolution has given us a taste for sweets and now the nightmare is that it's available all the time. Plus, while self discipline is something we strive for, it's something most of us rarely achieve.

Sorry about stepping up on the soapbox, but I'm tired of the "little" people who have "little" control over how society is shaped and manipulated being bashed. People don't want to be fat or broke, but as long as corporate America can suck the life and money out of us, many will remain that way.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

There is also a very strong correlation between the rise of obesity and the rise of low-cost food-like products (e.g., soda, potato chips, crackers, cookies, etc.). Also, there is a major link between obesity and poverty because "real food" costs more. It is only recently that humans have had sweets available to them 24-7. Evolution has given us a taste for sweets and now the nightmare is that it's available all the time. Plus, while self discipline is something we strive for, it's something most of us rarely achieve.

:
I like snacks and sweet things, but I draw the line at soda. I never drink it. Also, rarely eat between meals. Oh, except ice cream. One thing about traditional home cooking in the US; the phenomenal excess sweetness of cakes, pies, etc. If a recipe calls for two and a half cups of sugar, I'll cut it down to one cup, etc. The resulting cake or pie is more palatable and less sickly sweet.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tonrob
Interesting article. Coming from a semi-retail background I'm sure what's listed there is just the tip of the iceberg. People have brains that they can use to decide whether to buy something or not, but the emotional side is much more powerful, and that's where the manipulation occurs.
The 'fear' one is quite powerful like the antibacterial wipes.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

Of course not, but people also like to blame temptation on Satan, not themselves.

I'm just trying to point out that most sheeple don't have the time or wherewithal to contemplate each decision with the gravity it may deserve. But, you can best believe that major corporations have the lawyers, social scientists, and marketers that can herd you through the chute of financial ruin (or obesity).

I think it's a shame that the USA has become just about the most materialistic society ever, but I don't blame it on the greed of the average Joe Schmo; I blame it on the greed of corporations and their henchman, politicians.

Sorry about stepping up on the soapbox, but I'm tired of the "little" people who have "little" control over how society is shaped and manipulated being bashed. People don't want to be fat or broke, but as long as corporate America can suck the life and money out of us, many will remain that way.

Eating healthy costs a lot more money then eating processed junk, and I can't really blame low income people for buying processed stuff to fill their bellies to stretch their money out to cover an entire month.

I've been trying to eat healthy non-processed foods, so been buying mostly fruits, vegetables and lean meats, but 50 dollars only buys about 2 days of this stuff, and it really is a a financial hardship to eat this way, our total monthly food budget is only 200.

Its just sad that natural and healthy foods cost so much, and poor people just can't usually afford them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.