DNA Testing

Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:20 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DNA Testing

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Both parents were deceased, I gave dates and places of birth.

Nada.
It would also depend where they were born. Some records are not publicly available.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:57 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It would also depend where they were born. Some records are not publicly available.
In both cases I got back several pages of scanned (appeared to be typewritten) pages, showing various names, but no relevant hits. I went forwards a few days/weeks to see if these entries were for date of registration rather than date of birth, to no avail.

I'm not that bothered tbh, I've got enough other stuff that needs doing/sorting out these days. Just wondered if anyone had had more success.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 4:51 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

In both cases I got back several pages of scanned (appeared to be typewritten) pages, showing various names, but no relevant hits. I went forwards a few days/weeks to see if these entries were for date of registration rather than date of birth, to no avail.

I'm not that bothered tbh, I've got enough other stuff that needs doing/sorting out these days. Just wondered if anyone had had more success.
I’ve managed to go back about 200 years on each branch, sometimes a bit further. Put me in touch with some distant cousins, discovered some forgotten relatives who died in WWI and helped confirm my African-American ancestry so pretty successful.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 6:58 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy, did your wife have any success on the family tree research with Ancestry?

From time to time they offer a 'free weekend', so I gave it a try a couple of years ago, it didn't give any hits on either parent... Obviously I wasn't going to sign up given that non-result.
Yes she was able to trace her mothers' family back to England and her fathers' family back to Germany. Both going back to about the 1600s. She got further back than that but wasn't sure of the accuracy of the records and her understanding of them. But she has her family tree printed out back to 1200 and something.

My family on my mothers side seem to disappear in the bogs of Ireland about the middle of the 1800s. Which was why I was surprised when my DNA had so little Irish in it. Mothers verbal history had her side of the family just about all coming from County Cork around my great grandparents time. My fathers family come to London at some time via Suffolk and Buckinghamshire and that was supported by the DNA testing which shows most of my DNA associated with South and SE England. Its very interesting as the DNA results can be mapped on a regional basis and I can see which parts of England the family came from.

You can choose to make your DNA public or not. You get a list of those who have made it public whose DNA in some way matches yours. Not thinking I can be wanted for anything serious I made mine public, and got a number of matches nothing closer than 4th cousins none of whom I knew of any connection too.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 11:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Yes she was able to trace her mothers' family back to England and her fathers' family back to Germany. Both going back to about the 1600s. She got further back than that but wasn't sure of the accuracy of the records and her understanding of them. But she has her family tree printed out back to 1200 and something.

My family on my mothers side seem to disappear in the bogs of Ireland about the middle of the 1800s. Which was why I was surprised when my DNA had so little Irish in it. Mothers verbal history had her side of the family just about all coming from County Cork around my great grandparents time. My fathers family come to London at some time via Suffolk and Buckinghamshire and that was supported by the DNA testing which shows most of my DNA associated with South and SE England. Its very interesting as the DNA results can be mapped on a regional basis and I can see which parts of England the family came from.

You can choose to make your DNA public or not. You get a list of those who have made it public whose DNA in some way matches yours. Not thinking I can be wanted for anything serious I made mine public, and got a number of matches nothing closer than 4th cousins none of whom I knew of any connection too.
Suffolk!!!! You're 10% Tractor Boy
Old Mar 1st 2019, 8:11 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Did you see the next link in the chain...

I've seen some other stuff linking Buckinghamshire and Suffolk, with suggestions that it was en route to the West country, wonder why the shift to London? Maybe the sales were on?

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Mar 1st 2019 at 8:12 pm. Reason: Add where it would be en route to...
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 11:20 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Very true, from what I was told the family were farm laborers around that time. My great and great great grandfathers both named William. My grandson, who is 6 months old is named William, a pure coincidence.
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

She must have been royalty of some kind to get her tree back to 1200! In England the earliest Parish Registers are from about 1500, and there are only a few of those. I doubt if Germany would have any earlier than England, unless they were big landowners. The easiest ancestors to trace are those who were either landowners or ag labs. The latter (mine were from Herefordshire) tended to marry within a fairly narrow circle of parishes. I got my lot back to 1683 - which was the earliest date from the local PR.
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 1:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
In England the earliest Parish Registers are from about 1500, and there are only a few of those. I doubt if Germany would have any earlier than England, unless they were big landowners. The easiest ancestors to trace are those who were either landowners or ag labs. The latter (mine were from Herefordshire) tended to marry within a fairly narrow circle of parishes. I got my lot back to 1683 - which was the earliest date from the local PR.
There are manorial records as well. They may go back to c1250. These can list tenants.
Very tricky though to ensure you follow the exact true line the further back you go

I had one once that was convinced they were related to Cromwell via the Poley family . A handed down myth and rumour . I was happy enough to trace the tree but the thing was that someone had jumped to a conclusion. Yes she was a Poley and yes she was from the relevant small area , however she was not of the landed gentry . It was a village family no more.

I've managed some UK trees back to mid 1600's where a family has stayed virtually in situ or had an unusual name or line i.e. the Dutch in Norfolk.

I love this stuff.
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I had one once that was convinced they were related to Cromwell via the Poley family . A handed down myth and rumour . I was happy enough to trace the tree but the thing was that someone had jumped to a conclusion. Yes she was a Poley and yes she was from the relevant small area , however she was not of the landed gentry . It was a village family no more.
A distant cousin of mine had traced his/our ancestry back to a Pole family in Chester, descended from John of Gaunt. My training as a professional auditor led me to check the actual Parish Register, where I found the marriage-entry at the foot of the correct page, but in a different handwriting... I think my Margaret Pole/Poole was from a village family, like Bevs. The same distant cousin left a wonderfully authentic-looking parchment pedigree evidencing the link to John of Gaunt, son of one of the Plantagenet Kings of England - and, even better, to just about every earlier notable king of England, Ireland, and other places in Europe, and eventually to Adam and Eve. Beat that, you peasants! I'm rather surprised - and a wee bit disappointed - that he didn't take it one step further, to God himself. I mean, could there be any doubt?
Old Mar 2nd 2019, 4:55 pm

She must have been royalty of some kind to get her tree back to 1200!
That's why we are dubious as to the accuracy of what she found prior to around 1600. It threw up what we think are probably some unlikely links which need more verification. Some of the German stuff is a bit tenuous too, Not sure just how authentic some of the documents are.

Old Mar 3rd 2019, 1:20 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

A distant cousin of mine had traced his/our ancestry back to a Pole family in Chester, descended from John of Gaunt. My training as a professional auditor led me to check the actual Parish Register, where I found the marriage-entry at the foot of the correct page, but in a different handwriting... I think my Margaret Pole/Poole was from a village family, like Bevs. The same distant cousin left a wonderfully authentic-looking parchment pedigree evidencing the link to John of Gaunt, son of one of the Plantagenet Kings of England - and, even better, to just about every earlier notable king of England, Ireland, and other places in Europe, and eventually to Adam and Eve. Beat that, you peasants! I'm rather surprised - and a wee bit disappointed - that he didn't take it one step further, to God himself. I mean, could there be any doubt?
Pole/Powell - ancestors of the House of Tudor.

Also, we are related although my Poles/Powells are Welsh.

Actually, most people are related I think.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 1:50 am
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Pole/Powell - ancestors of the House of Tudor.

Also, we are related although my Poles/Powells are Welsh.

Actually, most people are related I think.
Just as well your Poles are from Wales and not Scotland, 'cos then they'd be North Poles, and there's only three of those, I believe.
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 2:15 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Just as well your Poles are from Wales and not Scotland, 'cos then they'd be North Poles, and there's only three of those, I believe.

Don't quit your day job

Old Mar 3rd 2019, 9:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That's why we are dubious as to the accuracy of what she found prior to around 1600. It threw up what we think are probably some unlikely links which need more verification. Some of the German stuff is a bit tenuous too, Not sure just how authentic some of the documents are.
Good work. Always double check and check again.

The saying is that 'everyone is related to John of Gaunt & Richard III . It is just a matter of the degree "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.