Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Dishwasher installation - easy DIY ?

Dishwasher installation - easy DIY ?

Old Aug 7th 2008, 5:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Question Dishwasher installation - easy DIY ?

Need to replace dishwasher.

Store want $150 to install.

Some of the instructions found on the net make installation look fairly easy.

But is it?

Any experiences.......... suggestions...... thanks!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 5:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dishwasher installation - easy DIY ?

Originally Posted by Elvira
Need to replace dishwasher.

Store want $150 to install.

Some of the instructions found on the net make installation look fairly easy.

But is it?

Any experiences.......... suggestions...... thanks!
It's easy. Biggest problem is usually disposing of the old one.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 5:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's easy. Biggest problem is usually disposing of the old one.
Old one already gone.

So anything a clumsy like me needs to watch out for?

Or can you come over and do it for me?
Old Aug 7th 2008, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

What make & model? Some require very precise arrangement of fill and drain hoses to operate correctly. Plugged into an outlet or hardwired? How easy will it be to get the old one out? (E.g., if harwood flooring was carelessly installed AFTER placing the d/w, there might not be enough clearance to remove the old machine without disturbing the flooring or countertop). Can you find the same model at a dealer who charges less for installation? How handy are you? Do you know a good plumber to turn to if your own efforts go awry?
Old Aug 7th 2008, 5:12 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that rough, usually. You need to hook up the water and drain system and (important) make sure you seal it pretty well. And then you have to slide it in and make sure the hoses don't get messed. You'd hate to have a leak there as you might not see it for years (i.e. until the wood rots).

Do you have a truck? Getting it home might be an expense.

Shop around too--I'm sure you can get the same model (unless it is like a Ferrari-level dw) at some other stores, Best Buy / Home Depot / Lowes / etc. Maybe some have a free install special.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 5:13 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Bill_S
What make & model? Some require very precise arrangement of fill and drain hoses to operate correctly. Plugged into an outlet or hardwired? How easy will it be to get the old one out? (E.g., if harwood flooring was carelessly installed AFTER placing the d/w, there might not be enough clearance to remove the old machine without disturbing the flooring or countertop). Can you find the same model at a dealer who charges less for installation? How handy are you? Do you know a good plumber to turn to if your own efforts go awry?
KitchenAid KUDS03CT

hardwired

old one gone already - should be just enough clearance.

could not find cheaper dealer - Sears only charge $100 but their after sale service sucks.

reasonably handy - though have never done any plumbing stuff

DK a plumber but a couple of 'handyman' chaps...

Last edited by Elvira; Aug 7th 2008 at 5:51 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 5:14 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by penguinsix
It's not that rough, usually. You need to hook up the water and drain system and (important) make sure you seal it pretty well. And then you have to slide it in and make sure the hoses don't get messed. You'd hate to have a leak there as you might not see it for years (i.e. until the wood rots).

Do you have a truck? Getting it home might be an expense.

Shop around too--I'm sure you can get the same model (unless it is like a Ferrari-level dw) at some other stores, Best Buy / Home Depot / Lowes / etc. Maybe some have a free install special.
Got a van...... should be okay to transport a dishwasher........ no?
Old Aug 7th 2008, 5:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Old one already gone.

So anything a clumsy like me needs to watch out for?

Or can you come over and do it for me?
If you're doing it yourself and not had much experience, take your time would be my best advice. If you get stuck, don't force it but post a pic and description of the issue here and we'll hold your hand.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you're doing it yourself and not had much experience, take your time would be my best advice. If you get stuck, don't force it but post a pic and description of the issue here and we'll hold your hand.
Good advice.

I looked over the installation instructions for that model. I'm very handy, and I'd be paying the $150. Elvira, bear in mind that when you're making the necessary connections you'll be working in a confined space under the counter. Clearances will be tight and lighting/visibility will be poor. Get LOTS of light in there so you can see what you're doing. Double check the sizes of all tubing and connectors so that everything will match.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Although built-in dishwashers are all approximately the same size, the depth can vary by approximately 2". This may cause you a problem if the original contractor of your house did not take into consideration dishwashers of a maximum depth. That happened to a house that I owned. So check the depth of the opening before you purchase a new dishwasher.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like you have help here if you need it. I can ask my OH questions too. He put ours in fairly quickly, mind you he's done lots of them. Worst thing for me was the general crud that seemed to have found it's way under the old one!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 7:13 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

quite simply put its a piece of pi$$
Old Aug 8th 2008, 3:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul S
quite simply put its a piece of pi$$
If you know how and don't cock it up

Lot of water swilling around if you balls it up...
Old Aug 8th 2008, 3:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Pay the money ....
Old Aug 8th 2008, 3:48 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Ray
Pay the money ....
Yes, Dear!

Already done.

(Hubs decided he did not want to get involved, and I would only get the blame if the 'piece of pi$$' goes wrong... )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.